1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wearing ties to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Shoot, I knew I was forgetting something. Sleep with my best shoes on too. To tell you the truth, I figure I had taken enough medication that I was already embalmed. :laugh:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now that was FFFUUUuuunnnyyyYYY!!! Wow you cracked me up.

Better make sure you shine those shoes also, you'd hate to get to the gate with scuffed up shoes...

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wear business casual to church services.

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

To tie or not to tie!

When the weather gets warm - the tie comes off. When the weather cools down - the tie goes back on.

I would never wear shorts anywhere - let alone to church - no one but my lovely wife gets to see my ugly white legs.

One exception to that rule - wore shorts to the doctor's office - a couple of weeks back - was too sick to care whether or not anyone saw my ugly white legs!

Dan Todd - particular about how I tie my tie - if I am wearing one!!:laugh:

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostles did it!

Should men wear ties to church?! Why should you even question that? If it's good enough for the Apostles, it's good enough for me! Err... wait.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always wear a coat and tie when I preach. In fact, I always wear a coat and tie (usually a suit) every Sunday. I think we should look our best when we come to the house of the Lord. In addition, to me a tie is (one) sign of authority.

Now one thing I will not waiver is the doctrine that a BOW TIE IS NOT a proper substitute for a real tie:tongue3: (I'm not mentioning any names Doc)

Salty

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Neat how different audiences see things differently...the same tie that communicates "authority" to Salty would communicate "out of touch" and "stuffy" to my crowd.

And there's room for both to be right.

BTW...I have a bit different slant on "looking our best:" Beyond going to God's house...we should take care of ourselves because we are God's house.

If wearing a tie would enable folks to hear the message better, I'll do my best four-in-hand or Windsor. If ditching the tie allows folks to focus on God's message better, off it goes.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some need to wear a tie so they could be choked or hung.

9. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It matters which culture you are in

Remember that the suit and tie came from English culture. In the Philippines a loose silt shirt would be considered church attire.

It all depends upon the the culture and the area. The point is proper imagery in context. And this has nothing to do with modesty vs. immodesty. Sometimes that is what these questions lead into: modesty vs. immodesty criss-crossed with best vs. comfortable.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one needs to dress like a snob to attend church. In fact, the strongest scriptural indication relating to this suggests otherwise. In James 2, we are taught that if we treat a well-dressed man better than a 'poorly' dressed man we are judging the opposite of God's own judgment.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have the source in front of me presently -- but in the early 20th century at Moody Bible Institute , a memo was released . It was a very hot summer . The male teachers were chided about loosening their ties , taking off their suit jackets and rolling up their shirtsleeves . That was unacceptable behaviour -- totally unbecoming of a Christian teacher -- it smacked of slackness .

12. mnw

mnw New Member

Its gotta be a balance of culture and appropriatness. In many places to show that on the inside you are serious and respectful you would be recommended to wear a shirt and tie. In other places this is not the case.

I know, I know, the opponents of this call us whited sepulchres, judgmental, snobs and what not. But I bet they would not wear some of their casuals to a wedding. :)

I believe times are changing and with the times so change the culture. Within a short time I fully expect ties will be redundent. However, if I wear a tie here people think it looks smart. If I do not wear a tie some of the older folk feel it inappropriate. Nothing is lost by wearing a tie but much is lost if I do not.

Anyway, :) Enjoy your tie, or not, we just need to remember what pleases God and what is either a stumbling block or stepping stone to our fellow believers.

13. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Better than slackless!! :tongue3:

14. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I think those from more casual churches might reply that while they dressed formerly for their wedding, they are quite casual and comftable around their spouse and that worship is more about the ongoing relationship.

As for me, I have realized that people will not be offended by and large if I wear a tie, where others might if I don't...so for Sunday mornings, I wear a tie.

I am curious, though when I hear people say we ought to wear our best. What makes a suit and tie, one's best? From my understanding, the suit is more of a business man's work uniform: making it easy to dress day after day (only needing to match shirt and tie). I know we have a tendency to wonder about those who might wear an Aloha shirt and sandles to preach, but when I was in Hawaii, I purchased both, and I dare say I spend a bit more on them than I did the shirt, the tie, and the shoes I wear most Sunday Mornings. (didn't buy board shorts or sunglasses, so maybe the suit is still my most pricey item of clothing.)

I guess what I'm saying is that "best" is very subjective to culture and situation. So, folks, wear your best (whatever that may be).

15. mnw

mnw New Member

I would agree whole heartedly. :thumbs:

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

All churches look at the tie thing differently. I go to some that frown on me because I am the only one in the house with a tie but usually after I take the stand they seem to accept me. I visited one recently and I heard later the Moderator (kidding) said we were visited by royality today. They know in all the churches I visit when they know of me coming I will have on a suit with a tie. Hey! its me, so why be a hypocrit about it. :smilewinkgrin: I fit in fine where they have tobacco in their mouth and all with long sleeve shirts but no ties, but for me and my house we like to dress up for the Lord. I tell you what, if the Spirit takes over they don't see the tie no more.

17. Karen

Karen Active Member

I went to a wedding recently and was surprised how many of the guests wore shorts, flipflops, and t-shirts. Including a Harley t-shirt.
    No, it doesn't really matter. But they, in my opinion, would have looked better dressed up a little bit more for the occasion.

18. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I try to wear a tie every Sunday and sometimes on Wednesdays. Last night, however, I was singing in choir practice and while sitting down on pulpit area/stage near the piano (my mom is the pianist at our church), I started getting dizzy because of all of the singing and exhalation of air from me, yet the tie was too tight and was causing me to be light-headed. I removed the tie and didn't wear it the rest of the night, though I still had my blazer/suit-coat on.

Was I "sinful" because I wasn't wearing a tie? No, but I did mention to my pastor why I wasn't wearing my tie, just in case he wondered (though he would have never said anything, because he doesn't major on the minors). :wavey:

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

20. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow :confused: All these posts about wearing or not wearing ties.

I wear a tie to our traditional service most of the time, but never to any of the other services. I will usually wear a suit to a funeral, but some here are done at th beach and I have been told to not wear a tie or suit for those. There have been some funerals, where in a full auditorium I was the only person who had a tie on.

It's both a cultural and a theological choice.
    In Florida most people do not dress with ties. Even most of the businesses here opt for business casual even for upper level management.

But it's also a theological choice for me. We are attempting to reach those who don't own a tie and don't want to! I am dressing like those I want to reach (within reason and modesty, of course).

I also believe that to be the one person out of 200 who is wearing a tie and suit is to act as if this is what the professional clergy wears because we are different from lay (normal) people.