1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Web perils advise switch to Macs

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Ulsterman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Security threats to PCs with Microsoft Windows have increased so much that computer users should consider using a Mac, says a leading security firm.
    Sophos security said that the 10 most commonly found pieces of malicious software all targeted Windows machines.

In contrast, it said, none of the "malware" were capable of infecting the Mac OS X operating system.

Microsoft has pledged that the latest version of its operating system, known as Vista, will be its most secure yet.

"It is our goal to give PC users the control and confidence they need so they can continue to get the most out of their PCs," a Microsoft spokesperson said.

"Windows Vista contains a number of new safety features that, taken together, are designed to make Windows PCs more secure and online experiences safer."

Microsoft said that security on Vista would be an integral part of the operating system rather than an add-on like in previous systems.

To read more see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5150508.stm?ls

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

INteresting that even Sophos is suggesting that.
    Of course I would suggest a switch to a Mac for it overall superiority but the virus problem is the thing that will gat many to change

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Most threats attack the Windows system because it is "by far" the most used operating system used in office and home computers (not talking about Linux servers).

If the MAC operating system were as popular, then there would, no doubt, be plenty of little animals designed to attack those machines. Why take out a few MACs when you can take out millions of PC's?

This is not to say that the MAC operating system may not have less weaknesses, but the attacks are designed for maximum damage.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Indeed..
    OS X is based on BSD. BSD is built from the ground up with a tightly integrated security model...way more secure than Linux.

Even WinNT/2k/XP were designed for functionality FIRST. Security has always taken a backseat to politics & vested interest. Bill Gates announced his new security initiative in February 2002 ... and look how far they have come! :)

They can't make Windows secure enough to keep it relatively free of viruses...without starting over from scratch with a new security model.

OS X isn't perfect, but it has FAR fewer holes than any other commercially viable consumer desktop OS available since 2001, including all variants of Linux and Windows.

Do not think that there are no hackers trying to be the 1st to bust though OSX. There are many. There was once a $25,000 gift waiting on the 1st to do so. Will it happen someday? I'm sure it will. Right now...OSX waits on its 1st in 8+ years...while PCs have 144,000 a year. And that number is in the Bible. :)

5. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A lot of Mac users are in denial and have blinders on that say, 'Nothing is ever going to get to us,'" said Neil Fryer, a computer security consultant who works for an international financial institution in Britain. "I can't say I agree with them."

from http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/50260.html

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have never said that. But, I have said...4 years, three macs...0 virueses.
    That is just my macs to. Not including my dads or brothers or the ones I have picked out for friends.

7. preacher

preacher New Member

Saw a commercial where you can now put windows os on macs. News ones anyway. So I guess that bounty will be collected soon??

8. Pete

Pete New Member

No point in annoying the 3% people....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Still sticking with my evil Billy-box :)

9. kubel

kubel New Member

The more Mac users promote their macs as being better as far as having less viruses and such, the more they will see viruses and malware. Virus developers are like software developers. You make your 'product' for the majority, not the minority. The worst thing you can do for your own security is recommend a Mac! :D.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You can run Windows XP now in a dual boot configuration. I plan to test this out first hand next week. It is just like having a real PC because..it is a real PC. They now use the same Intel chips used in Toshibas or Dulls etc.

With this you have to boot into one or the other, but there is also an option to use Windows with in a smaller window in your screen.

Viruses will still only effect the windows part and not the Mac System.