1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Websites, software or books on designing a workbook

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PatsFan, Sep 1, 2005.

1. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I will be doing a "create a resource" D.Min. project which will involve designing a small workbook or manual for mentors to use with teens. Is anyone aware of any websites, software or books that walk you through the process of creating such a thing?

2. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

I suppose you need desktop publishing software.

You may have heard about Microsoft publisher.

Now that Adobe has taken over Macromedia you may wish to consider academic version of Indesign (part of CS suite).
    With a first rate teach yourself book 'Classroom In A Book', you can teach yourself as I have. (Some time commitment and expense!) Plus begin learning leading software ap's, great for ministry into the future.

Perhaps the easiest solution is to stick with MS Word, and bind pages into a book format. I'd pick up Publisher basics myself over Word anyday. You'll save time in the long-run.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to go with a publisher program give a snoop for older versions of Serif publisher. They often sell a past version for 10 bucks postage and it is quite a program. (Page Plus 8 I think is one step back from the present - their site would tell you want is newest.)

Don't know for sure what you are looking for but there is a little program that is a tad clunky but works mighty nicely - http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/

It keeps all your files in one directory and lists them on the left and you can click between very easily and edit in different files etc.

On the other hand Word does a fine job if you want to keep it in one file. There is an option that will organize all your main points on the left if you highlight them and designate them as headings.

4. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Thanks a lot, excentric. Some friends recommended I stick with MS word also. I'll definitely look at Serif too. God bless.

Tom

5. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the mechanics of creating it, MS Word is capable of doing whatever you want to do. It is very powerful, and most people don't use very much of it's capabilities.

More important is the design of the instruction. For that, see books written by Robert Mager.

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

If you intend to use a lot of graphics, you may find Word a pain trying to place each graphic in its desired place. That's why I said you'd save time in the long run using something like Publisher over word.

A free option similar to publisher is the open source scribus program.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Lingua sells an academic version that tracks ALL of your quotations ... I here that it is the "standard" for academia ... those that use it swear by it.

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all your very helpful suggestions. I want to make the manual user friendly, so I probably will have some charts and that sort of thing.

10. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a website for Lingua, did a google and found a ton of nonrelated stuff.

thanks if you do.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

12. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, will give it a snooooooop.