1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Weekly Communion

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lawson-, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Lawson-

Lawson- New Member

Do many Baptist Churches have weekly communion, and if so which ones?

Thanks

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While there could be some, I don't know of any Baptist churches that observe the Lord's Supper weekly. Many Baptist churches observe it quarterly.

3. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of any that observe it weekly. I know of alot that observe it quarterly, but I'm starting to see quite a few do it once a month.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Up to each local assembly. I would opt for it weekly (at the meeting of the assembly) but my home church has it monthly.

If someone remembers to prepare the elements.

5. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I, also, would opt for it weekly. Our church is currently on a monthly schedule. Personally, it is a very spiritual experience and I cannot help but weep every time. Although I accept the symbolism of the rite, I believe that since Jesus ordained it the night before his death, it should hold more significance in our worship. Of course, for some, it will continue to be just a custom regardless of how often they partake.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of one church in my are that only does it once a year and only at night. He (the pastor) said that it wasn't called the Lord's supper for nothing.

7. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ours has always been monthly, plus the evening of Holy Thursday. I believe that it's because that's often enough to keep us reminded of the meaning, but not so often as to become meaningless ritual.

8. mioque

mioque New Member

Dr. Bob
    "If someone remembers to prepare the elements. "
    "
    Kick your church's verger, that's his responsibility.

We do it roughly once every 2 months. I trie to keep the types of bread and wine used varied.

9. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Bob. I would like to do it weekly as well. A few years ago I filled in at a DOC church while they were searching for a pastor. I felt it was an awesome experience to take it every Sunday. I truly respect that about the DOC.

In Christ,

Brooks

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is a "verger", Mioque? Sounds like Donald Trump getting ready to make a deal with a Dutchman to join two companies!!

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verger-the custodian, the person in charge of the "verge"
    As I understand it, the verger takes care of the grounds and outside of the church building and the sexton the inside.

Mioque, here in the States, the responsibility for preparing the elements is taken care of by the deacons (or if the church has them, deaconesses).

12. mioque

mioque New Member

"the verger takes care of the grounds and outside of the church building and the sexton the inside."
    "
    In a lot of places verger/sexton are used interchangeably.
    The Dutch word is koster and covers both sides of the job, stressing the inside half of it a little. I am one.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Jesus said," As oft ye do this, do in remembrance of Me".
    Can't find anything in Scripture that demands any kind of schedule. Too often scheduled Communion turns into blind rote. And becomes ritualistic. This is unfortunate.
    That being said, let me state that the sense that it becomes ritualistic depends on the person partaking, of course.
    I have mostly seen quarterly observances, with a couple of churches who observe it yearly. Never seen monthly, nor weekly, at least in Baptist circles.
    I would think, though, that weekly would turn quickly into ritual. And this would be bad.
    Speaking from a purely American point of view, of course. Having never been on the foreign field, I have no point of reference to comment about how other cultures would tend to view the Ordinance.
    In His service;
    Jim

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When I was in Ukraine, they celebrated whenever the Americans came, but I think they did it once a month otherwise.

I have been in a lot of different churches. One did it once a month for a while. Most did it quarterly.

The one I am in now does it whenever.

15. WinnietheEeyore

WinnietheEeyore New Member

The Baptist church I attend does it once a year.
    But while growing up I attended an Episcopal church. They had two services on Sunday. And at the early service they did it every week. I found that it got to the point it didn't seem to mean anything to the members.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does your church use real wine?

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I wish ours did. :D

18. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Does your church use real wine? </font>[/QUOTE]Considering that her country did not go through a "Prohibition", I would guess that they do use real wine. I have heard that most Baptists used real wine in their communion prior to "Prohibition". Does anyone have any info on this?

19. mioque

mioque New Member

"Does your church use real wine?"
    "
    Not always, but often enough. I'm the one who get's to choose what is served on those days.
    In May last year my church ended a series of lectures, sermons and sundayschoollessons on Islam. I had arranged that I would give the last lecture. It had to coïncide with the last sermon on the subject preached by our juniorpastor on the subject of Christianity's victory over Islam.
    The Communionmeal would come after that. So I talked about the siege of Vienna of 1683 culminating in a defeat for the Islamic army at the hands of a Christian coalition.
    Last Supper was champagne and croissants (baked in Vienna for the first time to celebrate that victory). The coffee after the whole event (there is always coffee after a churchservice in the Netherlands) was cappucino (also brewed for the first time the day after the end of the siege).

"Does anyone have any info on this?"
    "
    Actually during the 'Prohibition' an exception was made allowing wine to be drank during religious ceremonies. Ministers could get a permit to import or make wine for religious use by their congregation. It was good to be a priest back then.