1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Weight May Be Linked to Type of Bacteria

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Deacon, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obesity linked to variety abdominal bacteria [LINK]

"The size of your gut may be partly shaped by which microbes call it home, according to new research linking obesity to types of digestive bacteria.

Both obese mice and people had more of one type of bacteria and less of another kind, according to two studies published Thursday in the journal Nature.

A "microbial component" appears to contribute to obesity, said study lead author Jeffrey Gordon, director of Washington University's Center for Genome Sciences.

Obese humans and mice had a lower percentage of a family of bacteria called Bacteroidetes and more of a type of bacteria called Firmicutes, Gordon and his colleagues found.

The researchers aren't sure if more Firmicutes makes you fat or if people who are obese grow more of that type of bacteria."
    (AP) WASHINGTON

So I guess we Baptists have lots of "cuties" in our midst. :laugh:

Rob

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I see this as just one more way the 'establishment' tries to take responsibility for ones behaviours and ascribe said behaviours and their consequential outcomes to something ( anything) other than personal responsibility.

3. npc

npc New Member

That's too bad. So the scientists can't show any of the evidence they collected that shows factors other than personal habits may affect people's weight, without being determined to negate responsibility for gluttony?

Personally, I never have to limit how much I eat, and I weigh about 110 pounds

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

The problem with people who never have to limit what they eat and not gain weight is that they can be gluttons and no one would eve know it becasue they don't see the results.
    So what is their responsability?

5. npc

npc New Member

Not to be gluttons? I don't see what your point is.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

One of the best ways to understand a point is to listen and understand. Her point is quite valid. The sin is still there, but hidden from the world. That does not make overeating any less worldly or wrong than for those of us who constantly battle weight.

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Since there are stones being thrown here, I have some questions.

Does anyone here (on this board) claim that they have not commited the sin of gluttony?

How about last month on Thanksgiving, anybody just eat a few small portions of food? Just enough for nutrition.

How about you AV1611, will you take personal responsability? Are you a glutton?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sure I have committed it. It is one of those sins committed every time the church has a pot luck by most people. I have yet to see gluttony put in a church covenant or bylaws. Then again, there is a vast array of sins that could be added to this one by me.

9. npc

npc New Member

Actually I suspected this was her point, but I didn't see what that has to do with my point that scientists aren't necessarily trying to alleviate responsibility from gluttons

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You phrased your question in the present tense. No I am not a glutton. In fact the last few weeks I have been losing weight. It is a simple yetnot too easy thing to do. You simply eat less and move more.

Thanksgiving? I had two plates of small portions and one piece of pie. I did not "pig-out' as the saying goes, if that is what you are asking.

Have I ever eaten so much that I was uncomfortable and much much more than I should have. Of course I have. Do I make it a habit? No. Many many of these obese people do eat like that however. Dozen eggs, 6 potatoes, 1/2 loaf of bread, jar of jelly, and that is just the warm up for breakfast.

Gluttony, as I understand it, is the sin of making it a practice, or habit, of eating excessively. And no, I am not a glutton.

I would not have said what I said if I was not practicing what I stated.
    I only needed to lose about 20 pounds but the principle is the same. If'n ya's pants are bigger than yer house then ya's needs to lose it. Eat less, move more.

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The issue, of course, is that obesity is not gluttony. Some do better than others, and cultural factors are involved; Americans are generally overweight, due to our choice of foods. I recently changed some of my dietary habits, and immediately lost some weight, even as I kept eating about the same amount of food (and enjoying it just as much).

I know a woman who was overweight all her life, until her first child was born, and then something changed that made it easy for her to lose the weight and keep it off.

She didn't change from a glutton to a non-glutton. She just got lucky.

12. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Throw them stones then.

Gluttony is over eating even one time. And each time is a sin. Just like getting drunk, one time is a sin. It does not have to be a continued practice.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Gluttony is over eating even one time. And each time is a sin. Just like getting drunk, one time is a sin. It does not have to be a continued practice.[/QUOTE]

Hello DJ :) Nice to meet you.
    I must disagree with you here. What does your dictionary define gluttony as?
    Is it eating to excess at just one sitting?

There is no basis that eating in excess in one sitting is glutony, nor do I know how you would even define "excess". No one knows exactly how much food our bodies need, we just have general ideas set forth by man. Weight guidelines. Comparing the process of ingesting the drug of alcohol to excess to eating is like comparing apples and oranges. We MUST eat as a requirement to stay alive.

To continously eat in excess will eventually cause your health to deteriorate. Common sense seems to dictate that eating in excess must be a lifestyle, not a one time eating spree. Just my two cents

#13 Joe, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

As the bible compairs gluttony and drunkeness several times I do not think it is like apples and oranges.

Remember Gluttony is more then just food. If I buy a 23 bedroom for me and my wife and own 7 cars and trucks I am probably a glutton.

Buy I only bought the house one time.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way! It has to be more complicated than that! :type:

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, Screwtape informs Wormwood that he has trapped their subject's aunt (I think) in the bonds of gluttony, even though she believes she is practicing temperance. She is not overweight, and she doesn't overeat, however, she demands that her food must be prepared exactly right and just to her tastes.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

If you buy a 23 room house, I will come over with a few pizza's and a few six packs of beer to celebrate! :laugh: :thumbs:

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

You will have to wait a long time for that visit. You are welcome to my humble 4 bedroom 2 bath home.

And quiet about the beer, there are Baptists listening.

#18 DeeJay, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  19. Joe

Joe New Member

And quiet about the beer, there are Baptists listening.[/QUOTE]

That's funny!:applause: :laugh: :tongue3: