1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Well known Calvinist that have died for the faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't look at me!! :cool: :cool:

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And allow me to point out the title of your thread: "Well known Calvinist (sic) that have died for the faith." This time please note the word in bold and somewhat larger letters. :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree and acknowleged those two were paraphrases. THEN I showed you the exact quote which of course you didn't comment on. Then again you couldn't without affirming my contention

Actaully Rippon doesn't quote ONE of the writters, and I asked again and again where his quotes from Gill could be found (orginal quotes Gill took from) - He gave me Gills pg numbers from Gills book :laugh: .
    The only thing he could give is quoting Gill 'assumedly' quoting them. I on the other hand give excatly where it could be located, where it was found, and then the exact quote of the Early CHurch Father and or Reformer. http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=938642&postcount=27
    Though I like Gill, I will take the original authors word over someone saying some said - anyday.

Again, no he does not. He gives Gills word for it.
    I in turn give excatly where it could be located, where it was found, and then the exact quote of the Early CHurch Father and or Reformer.
    Same as before :(

Adding this one is a deception without showing what was written by me both before and after - like this post immediately after:
    Why do you do persist in being dishonest concerning this thread. It speaks for itself and that NOTHING I presented was refuted, not there nor anywhere else.
    I agree, please go back and re-read it.

You, by your OWN WORDS confess you did not read them all but you questions only stop at the second one of the whole list. I only corrected the paraphrases of TWO, but they DID IN FACT state what was given and you did not deny that then either. :eek:

IF I MAY - I don't wish to specifically bring up the old thread in realation to this one. I was mearly showing you specifically acknowledged and "do not deny the doctrines of grace was not talked about from around 120-320ad.", not the rest of it per sey.

#43 Allan, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I noticed you didn't answer my question :)
    Now, if you were refering to Toplady:
    This shows the pure ignorance of Toplady.
    It also reveals his hate and disdain (much akin to his railings against Wesley) without any real proof for his accusations.

But again, I ask you to please answer my question previously mentioned before and here in.

#44 Allan, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

#45 Jarthur001, Sep 10, 2007
  6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Didn't he forget Jesus? Wasn't he a Calvinist? He sure died for the faith... :godisgood: :BangHead: :BangHead:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is an excellent truth. In this country today, we enjoy such protection and freedom that the worst persecution we are going to suffer is being made fun of or shunned. Isn't that ridiculous compared to some who died for the faith? And yes, maybe someday it will change. God bless our troops for fighting to keep us free and safe.

Jarthur,
    Good to see you out and about.

#48 saturneptune, Sep 10, 2007
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ooh, that's a tuffy! Was Jesus a martyr?? :confused: :rolleyes:

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

#50 Allan, Sep 10, 2007
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

13. russell55

russell55 New Member

I assumed this thread was started as a reply to a question made by Skypair in another thread that was then closed. Skypair asked where the reformed martyrs are, and then later on he asked if there were any calvinist martyrs.

If that's the case, then the specific focus is because it's an answer to a specific question, and it's not meant to insinuate anything about other Christian martyrs.

#53 russell55, Sep 10, 2007
  14. Allan

Allan Active Member

If that be true, (and no doubt it is) it shows the ignorance of Skypair and his disdain for the Cals. But by the same token, James quotes Toplady and then states:
    He can only think of one Non-Calvinist who ever died for his faith in Christ and then asks "is there another".
    He can think of many Calvinists in general who died for their faith along side those specific names and yet not even in general can he think of more than 'one' non-cal?
    This places James just as ignorant as Sky and the disdain they have for those not like them. To ignore the multitudes who died for and in the name of Christ their Lord, because do not follow your personal opinions of scripture is sickening and unchrist-like - UNLESS you believe we preach another gospel and by acknowledging such state as unequivical and scripture they are Accursed and unsaved.

#54 Allan, Sep 10, 2007
  15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Paul did not retain the ungodly nickname of "Calvinist" and was clearly against such as he made clear in ! Cor 1. Dying as a "Calvinist" is not impressive in the least. However there have been many Christians who have died for the faith throughout the years and continue to do so who should always be remembered.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

From what I could find, St. Augustine was not a martyr:

Augustine died on August 28, 430 during the siege of Hippo by the Vandals. He is said to have encouraged its citizens to resist the attacks, primarily on the grounds that the Vandals adhered to the Arian heresy. It is also said that he died just as the Vandals were tearing down the city walls of Hippo.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

indeed...therefore he was a martyr. If he had not taken a stand, he would have nt be killed by the Vandals