1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Well known Calvinist that have died for the faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

You, then as now miss MY point.

My post by Rhodes SHOWED the QUOTE and THE SOURSE.
    Rippons Showed me were to find it in Gill's book.

I never once refer BACK to Rhodes but the SOURSES from which the Quotes originate and give where they can be found.
    The best one can deduce from Rippons quotes is that a person supposedly said according Gill such and such with NOT sourse to validate.

I gave YOU each quote you questioned regarding the paraphrased ones, the original quote and it's sourse to VALIDATE the paraphrase. THEN I WENT BACK and ADDED the exact quotes and original sourses.

Each time you see (after that) that list was the revised version. (and you are exagerting greatly - 20 times - when it is more like 6 or so IF I remember right).

The point is, what started out as Rhodes quoting people much like Gill did, the quotes he gave were revamped by me to show the original quotes and their sourses, which Rippon did not. So when you see stuff like this now
    Regarding Early Church Fathers and the Reformers who did not hold to the "L":
    It is mine :) Though it's basic outline (people and dates) began with Rhodes.
    But these are just some of the leaders.

But again ALL of this was discussed and set straight in THAT thread and each thread after that. The fact is you can not deny the quotes given and that they state Christ died for ALL of Mankind, which does not deny the same Truth that Christ Specifically Redeemed some of ALL.

BUT ... what I was stating FROM THERE that you are contending exactly the opposite of your own position earlier, that "

Which us a complete contradiction to your preset claim of being about to prove such. You can not prove the early church Fathers held to the "L" of present day Calvinism nor did many of the Reformers themselves!
    Irresistable grace can not be found in the early Church Fathers nor can its inference or intension.
    Your 'Doctrines of Grace' or better name by the Presby "Soveriegn Grace Doctrines" are held together in the 5 pillars which establish the Theology of Calvinism which is shown in TULIP. These 5 constitute the Soveriegn Grace Doctrines and if the Early Church Fathers did not adhere to them ALL they can not fall under your little cloak. Many held some points or 2 or so points but NONE held your 'Calvinism'. That is why BOTH the Cal's and Non-Cals can lain Theological claim to many of the SAME early Church Fathers, and in relation to Unlimited Atonement a good many of the Reformers to.

#61 Allan, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

#62 Jarthur001, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I disagree. Well...not all of it. But it does not contradict anything I have said on this thread. Even WVU football. :)

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hey Saturn...good to see you as well.

I trust all is well.

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Allan,

I just now took over a hour and looked up 3 of these said quotes. Again....its sad to see you mislead like this. Grained there may be a few true ones, but I could care less about some. However..there are some I hold high and have red before...and to be Frank Allan, you either do this and know its wrong, or you need a good set of books to look this up on your own.

Anyone to claim Calvin was not a Calvinist in all points is off his rocker. Those old quotes from John 3 has been shown for years by Calvin bashers in such a way to make others believe John Calvin was not a Calvinist. WHY? If your side needs to mislead like this, what does this say about your side?

Read Calvin in full...not some little clip from Calvin bashers...and then tell me what you think. This is silly that this still lives on in this day when so many could read on their own and know what he said.

Ambrose....which BTW was a big time believer in the doctrines of grace, is taken out of context below. ALL it is clear if you read him...means all of the elect.

I need help on this one. What page did luther say this. "Christ is not cruel exactor, but a forgiver of the sins of the whole world" I do recall looking this one up in the past, but I do not remember what I found. I have this book but cannot find it. I'm not saying its not there.

please tell me where I can get a copy of this work.

'Reply to Capitula Gallorum, no.9'

The above line in bold.

I want Allan to tell us why he feels this is not a lie?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

here you go...

this did not carry over because I read and post at the same time...and you placed this in quotes..and...and..well...it didn't see it till now. Next time leave your numbers out of quotes. :)

My question James is (1) why single out Calvinists who have died for the faith.

My answer to 1. it was not i that singled out. I just keep it going. It was done by a Calvin basher as a slam to Calvinist. I wanted a chance to show that Calvinist had indeed died for their faith. Therefore I started the thread.

Now...why do you keep asking this?

(2) Are all believers not worthy to be included in those Calvinists who were martyred for the cause of Christ?

My answer. I asked from the OP for a list from the other side. So far NONE. What more can I do?

now I ask you...would you like to show a list of Arminians gone to death in martyrdom?

Yes you are. :)

(3) Are we two seperate beleifs serving two different gods, or are we one faith dieing for our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?

My answer...Who is we? :) Ok..in this case maybe I can answer. Yes we have two seperate doctrines. If this were not true, you would not be debating me. There is only one true God and we all worship Him. Or better said..we should be. The Church is one body...Christ be our head.

Now I ask you...So why do you debate calvinist? Why not just let us alone? Are we not all in Christ? Do we serve two gods on One God? What make Calvinst feel they are seperated from the "others"?

How did I do? A+????

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Deleted Post.

#77 Allan, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  18. Allan

Allan Active Member

I don't believe we have two 'seperate doctrines' but the issue is seeing the mechanics of the same doctrines opperating differently.
    Both theologies hold to
    Man depravity
    God's Election
    Christ's Atonement
    God's Grace
    The Keeping of Gods Saints

Our doctrines are the same but the doctrines (mechanics) regarding those main doctrines differ but we come to the exact same conclusions. So we don't have differing doctrines just a different view of how they opporate and even then they are very similar in most instances.

However, why do infra's debate with supra's (regarding those of Calvinism) over their doctrines. Do they hold seperate doctrines of grace?? Are they not all in Christ? Why not just leave each other alone? :)
    They disagree as to the mechanics of their opperation but still hold the same doctrines and debate to try and validate which one has the better argument according TO scripture. It is a way of iron sharpening iron.
    Why must the Calvinist make the Non-Cal feel they are seperated from their brothers in CHrist?
    It should not be in either case but both Theological camps are guilty of this, yet that does not mean all of each are thus guilty.

Regarding your grade:
    I give you a solid "B". Why?

Because you still neglected to answer #4 :)

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Θ*Αλλαν,

Δεν πρόκειται απόψε. Αλλά θα επιθυμούσα να μοιραστώ με σας το
    σημείο μου για εκείνα τα παλαιά αποσπάσματα.

Αυτή η θέση θα σας δώσει ένα πλήκτρο στο σημείο μου.

Θα σας μιλήσω wih