1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Well, tomorrow is the Elephant Room. Let's see what Jakes actually believes!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Jan 24, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know Thabiti Anyabwile addressed this issue very well here:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs...invitation-of-t-d-jakes-to-the-elephant-room/

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bryan Crawford Loritts, son of 'The Gospel Coalition' board member Crawford Loritts was dismayed by Anyabwile's tactics, and proceeded to call out those 'self rightous' 'legalist' 'ambitious theologs' who have 'pitched a fit' over this:

http://www.fellowshipmemphis.org/bryanloritts/?p=122

#22 Jerome, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, the original purpose was not to dialogue with those of other faiths but to dialogue with those within orthodox beliefs. But then Jakes was invited and the purpose was changed AFTER his invite. THAT is why the issues. Had it been described as a way to dialogue with other beliefs from the beginning, that would have stopped the big controversy in it's tracks.

Just got an e-mail from hubby and he said that so far it's been non-controversial but he thinks the hardballs will fly after lunch.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is there a video online of the last Elephant room? I've been looking on you tube but can only find little soundbites.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Jakes just confessed to a clearly orthodox trinitarian position.....

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But did he define what he meant by that? He may feel that his modalism is historical, but modalism is certainly not historically orthodox.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - Hubby said that Driscoll really asked pointed, direct questions and he answered very directly. Driscoll wouldn't let him get away with anything less, I'm sure.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed blogger extraordinaire Trevin Wax's transcript:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/trevinwax/2012/01/25/elephant-room-2-live-blog-session-4/

9. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

Just as I thought; more confusion. What did that really accomplish?

Seriously????...using the elephant and the blind men? Talk about tearing down one's own straw-man. Why that argument could work for Muslims etc... So basically you are hateful when you are against those who would lead the Body of Christ away from the clear teachings of Scripture, and into areas which are questionable? It makes me absolutely sick that we would give Jakes a podium to spew his rhetoric :BangHead:

#30 Christos doulos, Jan 25, 2012
  10. mandym

mandym New Member

Really? The website for his church confesses modalism, he is long known for being a modalist, and I have received reports today from some who were there that he did not confess to an orthodox Trinitarian position.

In fact he was quoted as saying "he believes in one God in three Persons, then said he dislikes the word "Persons."

On his website he has

His background is Oneness Pentecostal which promptly denies the Trinity.

It is apparent he works to nuance his answers to this issue to avoid criticism and reality.

#31 mandym, Jan 25, 2012
  11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks Ann for explaining something that I expect most of you, being Americans, knew already! :)

#32 David Lamb, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, but he did say that God the Father did not die on the Cross and he did say that there are three persons. I read what he said and it did seem he took a trinitarian stance.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No worries David! Not everyone knew about it but some of us did. :) It definitely made it's way around the blogsphere!!

14. Christos doulos

My friend. Was it a clear trinitarian stance or not? If TD Jakes did shift, where was the call for repentance on leading others astray? Where was the call to renounce modalism?

What I gathered from the panel is that they all agreed that the trinity wasn't that big of an issue.

#35 Christos doulos, Jan 26, 2012
  15. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Apparently his answer has been accepted by some and not by others. Which is really not surprising.

We do need to be clear about our convictions. Sometimes, when talking across denominational lines, just the terms we use can cause confusion. It takes asking precise questions and some effort to really find if there is common ground. Plus, people need to want to be understood and not just play games.

16. Christos doulos

My friend. I understand where you are coming from and I agree that it takes precise questions, but I grew up a pentecostal. There is no confusion with trinitarian terms. All TD Jakes had to say, I believe they are wrong. That is not throwing stones.

The elephant in the room panel was not in the least bit interested in defining the trinity. It was about kumbaya...can't we all just get along, and anyone who doesn't agree with us are just divisive....as James Macdonald said, "we should step off"

#37 Christos doulos, Jan 26, 2012
  17. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I understand and I agree. I was not so much commenting on this event, but rather the usual discussions between pastors, or laymen, across denominations.

I have some pentecostal background, and my father-in-law is a pentecostal preacher in SC.:1_grouphug:

BTW, a couple of years ago I preached a sermon on 2 John. I entitled it, "Truth Trumps Love". In the name of political correctness, love, and tolerance, we have allowed much leaven into the church. John wrote to exhort the church to not let that happen.

2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.
    2Jn 1:8 Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.
    2Jn 1:9 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.
    2Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting;
    2Jn 1:11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds. (NASB)

Yeah, I would get fired from a liberal church.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here are some good words by Trevin Wax:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs...gn=Feed:+wordpress/trevinwax+(Kingdom+People)

19. Christos doulos

I agree wholeheartedly!!

TD Jakes made the same statement about the trinity 10 years ago, and yet we had him dragged back in a room 10 years later to have him clarify his beliefs yet again. I wonder why that is? ;)

That is a form of denial.

#40 Christos doulos, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012