1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Were false teacher bought by the Lord?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

2 Peter, chapter 2
    1: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2: And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
    3: And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

One poster said this was talking about Duet. 32: 6": Do ye thus requite the LORD, O foolish people and unwise? is not he thy father that hath bought thee? hath he not made thee, and established thee?

But this cannot be true for Peter was talking about in the time he was on the earth and those in Duet that were bought was by God and they were Israel. Now the false teachers and false prophets of Peter’s time were not Israel. I doubt if anyone would dare say so but I might get fooled.

Now if it is true the the Lord bought even the false prophets and false teachers then it would fit with the Scripture:

Hebrews, chapter 2

"9": But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
    If this is true that Jesus died for all (and that is they must believe to receive it) then the doctrine of He only died for the "elect" is false.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I will give you a quick answer to this one.
    I will have to study these passages more before I answer.

3. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

His blood bought everyone

That is why it is a shame when someone goes to Hell. They are, in effect, lost merchandise.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Does that mean the "elect" can be lost?:)

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The original Greek term despotēs designated simply "lord"

It was said by a poster that the Greek word in the original text was despotes and that it meant God or Father. Well it mean what is says in the Scripture of Peter 2:2 "Lord" in the original Greek. So the previous poster who said it meant father was wrong according to the Greek dictionary.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't seem to be anyone willing to answer the questions.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already answered you in another post, but I will try again.

Peter is exposing the hypocrisy of the false teachers (who arose from among them, so they are professing Christians). At least part of their false teaching was to deny Jesus in some way, "the Master" who bought them (had they been what they claimed; true Christians).

The purpose of Peter's writing this statement was to show them for what they are, false teachers. Denying Jesus proved it. His purpose was not to make the larger theological statement you are claiming that Jesus bought every person with His blood.

On the other hand, the purpose of Paul's statement in Acts 20, was to specifically single out the "Church" as the ones for whom Jesus shed His blood. There, Paul is intentionally making the larger theological statement concerning for whom Jesus shed His blood. The same can be said of the similar passages in Rev.

Consider the context without bringing pre-conceived beliefs to the text and you will understand what I am saying.

peace to you:praise:

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Thanks for that response, it makes sense and lines up with what I have been reading.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We know the Bible does not contradict, but it would if that meant they were true Christians and "had lost it"

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2 Peter 2:1 is NOT dealing with false teachers who are believers. It is in stark contrast to what is said about the true prophets in 2 Peter 1:19. To claim these false prophets are believers is butchering the text and is nothing but eisegesis.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

At least you admit it is Jesus that bought them and if they were false teachers and false prophets then He bought some that were not the "elect" according even to what you are saying and they were fit for swift destruction. So looks like some of the "elect" are going to be lost if Jesus only shed his blood for the "elect".:thumbs: Or He tasted death for every man as the Scripture says.

#11 Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said the false teachers were true believers?

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, you are not reading my posts Bbob, or are deliberately misquoting me. I am not going to spend all my time correcting your misrepresentations of what I have said. Either you get it, or you don't. Apparently, you cannot understand what it is that I am trying to say.

I am not saying you have to agree with me. I don't expect you to. But please, if we are going to have any sort of conversation and discuss the issues as Christians ought to be able to, you are going to half to try to accurately state my beliefs.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You put the word Jesus in there not me. I simply quoted you. The Scripture itself of which I posted says "Lord" but you said Jesus. It also says for sure they deny they were bought by the Lord. (not maybe but were bought) that is what you had in your posts so if you wrote it wrong then you should rewrite it. :wavey:

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read what I said again, please. If you cannot accurately repeat what I have said, then we are not communicating and this is a waste of time, regardless of who is at fault.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This is your direct quote about the buying and denying. You added (had they been what they claimed; true Christians) but you threw in an opinion of yours I only want Scripture. I took what was scripture and what you added who knows where that come from but it not Scripture or sound.:wavey:

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quoting 1/2 of a sentence in part of a paragraph and not even looking at what I said about it. That is not accurately reflecting what I have said or believe. I will try again.

1. Peter's purpose in writing what he wrote in 2 Peter 2 was not to make a larger theological statement about Christ buying every person on the planet as you are claiming. His purpose was to expose them as false teachers, and saying they were denying the Master who "bought" them was how he exposed their hypocrisy. A true Christain does not deny the Master who bought them.

2. Paul, in Acts 20, and the passages in Rev., are, in fact, statements meant to make the larger theological statement that Jesus shed His blood for a specific group of people, i.e. the church.

Now, you might not agree with me, and that is fine. All I ask that you accurately present what I have said when you comment on it.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I never said they were true Christians. I was saying if as you say, He only shed His blood for the "elect" then they would have to be "elect" for it says (He bought them).

He tasted death for every man. If you are going to mock someone then mock the Scripture for that is what it says along with this Scripture where He bought false prophets and false teachers.:thumbs:
    My point all along is that He tasted death for every man but a man has to believe that He is the Christ to receive it.:type:

#18 Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am obviously unable to communicate with you. Goodnight, sir.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You just don't like a Scripture that goes against your belief I think anyway. Good night to you too.:sleeping_2: