1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Were the Popes right to call fellow Popes "Antichrist"?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, May 15, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. Is it your claim that history cannot be told "or known" by anyone but a Catholic that believes as you do - such that even other Catholic historians cannot be trusted if they do not hold to certain Catholic doctrines the way you do?

2. Ok - fine -then how could you ever have come to this conclusion as a Baptist - thinking about looking into joining the Catholic Church?? Were you really saying to yourself "not only do I reject all Baptist historians as neutral objective sources - as I contemplate moving to the RCC - I also reject all CATHOLIC historians if they mention unfavorable events in history about the RCC or hold to any point of doctrine not approved of by the Pope - for such historians cannot possibly be neutral and unbiased in their report of history?"

That is pretty hard to believe that a Baptist would be going that far as he/she contemplates the possibility of joining the Catholic Church and takes the first step by looking into history for the facts.

You are losing me on this one. How did you do it??

Indeed - but you are saying you rejected the Baptist historians AND the Catholic historians if they did not hide certain facts in history unfavorable to the Catholic church --- "as a Baptist"???

Which would certainly be a problem for a cradle-catholic. But normally Baptists don't insist on an "imprimatur" as as the sign and seal of neutrality and objectivity.

Have you ever met a baptist that insisted that historians he/she accepts must first get Papal Imprimatur to be deemed truly neutral, objective and unbiased?

I mean ---... ever??

Again the claim that a Baptist would insist on a Papal Imprimatur before accepting an account of Catholic history... ?? Really?

This exceeds my ability to imagine such a thing - quite frankly.

What I see is both Catholic and non-Catholic historians describing the Papacy as 'in its golden age" in the dark ages - running the whole of Europe to a much greater extent than the Roman Caesars. What I see is that in the Year 2000 the RCC itself claimed it had to drop the facade of pretending the the civil powers were the true actors and masterminds in the dark ages - and fully admit that it was the Papacy pure and simple.

Which is how Catholic historians and analysts portray it -- and it is how protestant historians describe it and it is how the conference held by the Vatican in the year 2000 described it.

How much objectivity would need to be tossed out to ignore the broad spectrum of agreement on this point?

Certainly the Catholic church does admit to what it calls "wicked popes". And there is apparently a long list of them.

Let us say for the sake of argument that all three papal lines fully active - with their own armies at war with each other - and plenary indulgences promised to all that should die in battle - is the norm for that time.

The question is about their calling each other by the term "antichrist'.

Wouldn't you agree that instead of having loyal devoted catholics killing each other across the whole of Europe - as Bokenkotter points out - it would have been better to simply say to each other 'well my brother we apparently do not see eye to eye on all points - so go your way in peace and may God be with you and your followers"??

Or was every Pope and every council of Cardinals in error in that they chose the path of "hey all you other Popes - are antichrist" and also war?

Again - not a surprising bias for a cradle catholic - I just find it hard to be believe that a Baptist would have insisted on Papal imprimatures before accepting the report of Catholic historians. It is one stretch to claim that a Baptist would start by rejecting Baptist historians - but it is a far bigger stretch to argue that a Baptist would insist on reject Catholic historians of they lacked Papal imprimatur declaring acceptance by the Pope.

Indeed it is hard to believe that the litmus test for a historian must be "do you agree with the Pope on doctrine - if not that you are not allowed or trusted in reporting historic events that might not be approved of by the Pope".

I think you can see how this is pretty difficult to swallow given that we are having this discussion on a Baptist board.

By every measure Bokenkotter is pro-Catholic, is practicing Catholic - is not a Baptist. He begins his book with the self-criticism that he is burying much of the cruelty and brutality and complicity in the history he is reporting in service to his bias in favor of the Catholic Church.

Not something a Baptist historian would be tempted to do.

in Christ,

Bob

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I'm saying is that the time period which is under discussion was a lot more complicated than any one simplistic outlook. Generally Protestants and interestingly enough many media secular groups hold that Papal authority was the supreme authority in Europe. That just wasn't the case. It depends on what you are talking about. And by the way not all Protestants in Academia have this simplistic outlook. I was commenting on them.

Totally different subject. How I turned from being Baptist to Catholic didn't happen overnight and my discussion wasn't about how I became Catholic. If you want me to share fine. But it is a separate discussion than what we are having about the Papal Schism.

Like I said it didn't happen over night it was a process which I don't mind sharing but you seem to be confusing the two.

This is two different topics. It seems you are perplexed by how I left Baptist to become Catholic. Well, as I said it didn't happen overnight and to be honest I didn't want to become Catholic. But the evidence swayed me. The reason I didn't want to become Catholic is because I was raised a Catholic by parents who were no more Catholic than Hitchens. Because like many people have expressed on this web site they were your typical non faithful Catholics. Went to Church because it was the family thing to do. Saying prayers by remote control and saying confession to free you up to sin some more. It was a miserable immoral life. But let me tell you I heard things like Jesus died for my sins and that he rose from the dead but in all honesty, it went right over my head. I was Catholic because my family was Catholic not because I had faith. That Lady I told you about exposed me to SDA services but quite honestly I was bored in them as well. It wasn't until my father was assigned to East Africa and I went to a non denominational boarding School that I really was presented the Gospel in a two fold manner. 1) by the way the staff witnessed Christ in their lives and 2) by evangelical preaching of the Gospel. During spiritual emphasis week a missionary message touched my heart and I wanted to give my life to Jesus Christ. Which I did. I went up for the alter call and the whole 9 yards. My life changed. I started to read the bible and every day was beautiful. I used to wake up praising the Lord in song before my housemates woke up (boarding School). When I went home to Mass I had the same response most people had here. Somehow I ignored the scripture reading but when listening to the homily (Catholic for Sermon) all I heard was some social justice nonsense. Might as well go to a communist convention for all I cared. I wanted the word! So I told my father that I could no longer be Catholic and I left the Church. It started a 25 year war with him. I mean we even argued at my sisters wedding he called me a stupid protestant and I said he was ignorant of the gospel. Also there was an unforeseen side effect now as I look back. Going to a non denominational school left me a little rudderless. On the upside I was exposed to several denominations. I always liked the Baptist the best because of the emphasis on the bible. But on the other hand I was opened to the Pentecostals because of the excitement and seeming consistency with scriptural events. Also I for a short time fellowshipped with some messianic Jews and I learned a lot about Judaism and Christianity from that stand point. Messianic Jews are charismatic btw and I wondered why couldn't people still speak in tongues? I even went to a Pentecostal university to learn more of their beliefs and fortunately it cured me of my by overly opened to Pentecostals and the Pentecostal movement. Over the 25 years of my life every Church I attended had to have this one prerequisite: It had to be bible based. Over the same years I came to the quick conclusion that this prerequisite wasn't enough as many people had differing interpretations of the Scriptures. Ah but I could over look some of that as long as they held to the basics of Salvation right? Well, among Academic Protestant there are some differences there as well. I ended up going to a Baptist University for Grad school and it was there I began to question some things about what I generally accepted. It didn't end there but another incident happened. Dan Brown came out with his best seller the Da'Vinci Code. I was going to a southern Baptist Church at this time and my Pastor asked me to use Lee Stroble's book to help teach an adult Sunday School class why Dan Brown wasn't correct in some of his assertions. In order to answer questions for the Class I determined to study history. And at first I only used Protestant sources which were very generalized like Rose Publications. That class went pretty well and because of the subject matter it grew I ended up doing two classes. But questions about history and scriptures came up that I had to actually go and do more research on which I did. I was surprised how many adults only had a cursory knowledge of the scriptures so I approached the Pastor and said why didn't we offer a class that went over the entire scripture thoroughly? He said sure and "why don't you teach it. I'll give you any resource you need." I spent the next year going over the scriptures and its application in the past in the culture in which it was written but as I was asked questions I also asked question which required more study. Some answers couldn't easily be found so I contacted some professors I stayed in contact with. I had my pastor get in touch with professors he knew at Gordon Conwell and in short order I developed quite the Christian library. Everything from Textual Critism by Metzger, works by Norman Geisler, to Dr. Archer's Encylopedia of bible difficulties, to FF Bruce, to Karen Jobes and Moises Silva, Robert Wilken, and you may be surprised to note I even have a copy of Hislop's the two Babylons and Paul Schrotenboer "Roman Catholicism a Contemporary Evanglical Perspective. And many more books besides, I've always been a bit of a bibliophile. But a long story short as if it isn't long enough. I felt like a detective discovering what really happened historically and discovered that 1) I had been wrong about what Catholics believed because a lot of source data that come from protestants site catholic sources and not only in an antagonistic way but as supportive documentation. But that 2) as I learned more about the bible its develoment down to the current day and history I also began to note that though I though I had known what Catholics believed, I really didn't know. And as Henry Newman once stated to steeped into history is to be Catholic. I discovered that on many thngs many of these academic protestants agreed with Catholics about certian things though not all. Finally when you consider what agreement there is regarding history you find that the Catholic history of the Church is accurate. I even have the writings of the Church Fathers. My questioning and subsequent study lead me to study more about Catholicism. And I went into it confident that I could quiet my father once and for all by disproving it and ended up coming back to it. When I started leaning Catholic I discussed this with my pastor and suggested that I stop teaching sunday school though I had grown the class significantly and discussed with him some of my delemmas about certain subjects. He wasn't as helpful as I would have liked and couldn't give me good answers. One of the reasons I joined this board. But I thought I would loose my family and friends as I became more convinced of Catholic teaching. What in the end sent me over the Roman side was the Eucharist. Fortunately my wife came with me and I'm still friends with people at my old baptist church.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You all can babble all the Catholic history you want. The bottom line is the RCC was a tool of the devil at its founding, and is a tool of the devil today. Jesus Christ does not use such organizations to preserve His church.

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So the three Papal lines were anathamatizing their own armies - but the civil government was going ahead with it anyway?

Is this what you were thinking as a Baptist about these historic events - prior to choosing to be Catholic? Do you realize how far that goes against the historic record - even of the RCC itself on that history??

Bokenkotter goes on to describe - Popes AND their "warships" in the book "A Concise History of the Catholic Church".

ibid pg 167. Pope Urban VI "turned more violent and savage. Suspecting his OWN Cardinals of plotting against him, he put them to torture and five of them died shortly afterward, probably thrown overboard from the Pope's warship!"

The inhumanity torture of the inquisition, the papal warships, the papal armies, the respective papal indulgences promised to each of the followers of each of the Papal lines that died in battle for their respective pope -- is it possible that you simply turned from this history - when studying the history of the church to decide whether or not to not remain as a Baptist??

Bokenkotter p. 166-168

Whether the cardinals were really overpowered by fear and hence unfree when they elected Prignano - as they later charged - will, it seems, remain forever one of the tantalizing but insoluble questions of RC history...

The schism began when the cardinals - whose original misgivings were greatly exacerbated by Urban's behavior - decided they had had enough. Abandoning Rome, they took refuge at Fondi, and then elaborated an encyclical in which they declared Prignano's election invalid and denounced him has antichrist, demon, apostate, and tyrant...on September 20 1378 they unanimously elected a new Pope, Rober of Geneva, who took the name Clement VII.

..both Popes received support from civil governments - splitting western Christendom into two camps. The holy Roman emperor, England, the Netherlands, Castille, Hungary, Poland and Portugal stood behind Urban, while France rallied to Clement VII, who returned to Avignon in 1379 and was soon joined by Scottland, Luxembourg and Austria...(Italy itself was too confused for either side to count on)...

Urban proclaimed a crusade against clement and hired the sanguinary Charles of Durazzo to oust the renegade queen Joan from Naples. The English invaded France in order to break it's allegiance with Clement
    Both Popes found military operations to be expensive, and the papal tax collectors where forced to use ever harsher methods to squeeze every penny out of the constituents...Urban turned more violent and savage. Suspecting his own cardinals of plotting against him, he put them to torture, and five of them died shortly thereafter, probably thrown overboard from the Pope's warship … Urban returned to Rome where he died in 1389. His fourteen cardinals immediately elected a successor..Boniface ix...

[FONT=&quot]
    This rupture of the church's unity was a terrible trial for believing Catholics."

========================================
    QUOTE=BobRyan;1984255
    1. Is it your claim that history cannot be told "or known" by anyone but a Catholic that believes as you do - such that even other Catholic historians cannot be trusted if they do not hold to certain Catholic doctrines the way you do?

2. Ok - fine -then how could you ever have come to this conclusion as a Baptist - thinking about looking into joining the Catholic Church?? Were you really saying to yourself "not only do I reject all Baptist historians as neutral objective sources - as I contemplate moving to the RCC - I also reject all CATHOLIC historians if they mention unfavorable events in history about the RCC or hold to any point of doctrine not approved of by the Pope - for such historians cannot possibly be neutral and unbiased in their report of history?"

That is pretty hard to believe that a Baptist would be going that far as he/she contemplates the possibility of joining the Catholic Church and takes the first step by looking into history for the facts.

You are losing me on this one. How did you do it??

=====================

1. I raise the question because we are having this discussion on a Baptist board - not a Catholic board. So an answer from a former Baptist should have some sort of link or common-ground with an existing Baptist - rather than a totally disconnected cradle-catholic view where nothing but the Papal imprimatur is to be accepted as objective, unbiased and accurate.

Cradle catholics might frequently resort to such biased solutions - but a former baptist might be expected to use a bit more objectivity in that regard.

Not saying you have to do it - just leaving the door open for that.

2. you say - "Generally Protestants and interestingly enough many media secular groups hold that Papal authority was the supreme authority in Europe. That just wasn't the case."

That "Catholic Papacy in charge" view of the dark ages IS THE view of Catholic historians themselves - such as Bokenkotter tells us.

It IS THE view of Catholic authors and insider whistle blowers like Malachi Martin.

It is THE view of the Vatican's own study group formed in 1998 to look into this not-so-subtle detail for the year 2000 festivities and apologize to the world.

in Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [FONT=&quot]Other councils, such as Vienna, issued anti-Semitic decrees that ordered the persecution of Jews. The persecution of other groups, such as the Waldensians, was also ordered by the RCC. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]For example, Pope Innocent VIII issued a bull in 1487 ordering that people "rise up in arms against" and "tread under foot" the Waldensians. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Roman Catholic and former Jesuit Peter de Rosa writes in Vicars of Christ (Crown Publishers, 1988), [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Catholic historian Peter de Rosa writes in Vicars of Christ (Crown Publishers, 1988), [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"Of eighty popes in a line from the thirteenth century on not one of them disapproved of the theology and apparatus of the Inquisition. On the contrary, one after another added his own cruel touches to the workings of this deadly machine[/FONT][FONT=&quot]."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]================================================================[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Catholic historian von Dollinger writes in The Pope and the Council, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]=============================================================================[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]High level catholic sources quoted in the public press -[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]============================================================[/FONT]

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Debunking the claim that civil authorities being to blame for what happened under the iron fisted rule of the RCC
    [FONT=&quot]=========================================================[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thomas Bokenkotter is a Catholic and a historian of the Catholic church. His book "A Concise History of the Catholic Church" reveals some non-flattering details of history for which many Catholics choose to attack their own historian for daring to admit to certain details of history.

In his own preface he says that if he is guilty of anything - it is in not admitting to enough non-flattering details to fit the actual history of the church.

"In spite of all my efforts I realize the book has its share of shortcomings and omissions which are perhaps inevitable in a book of this scope. Some critics, for instance, have noted, with a certain amount of justice perhaps, a tendency to glide over the negative and dark aspects of the Church's history... Bokenkotter p.IX[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In Bokenkotter's book "A Concise History of the Catholic Church" we find this candid remark concerning the inquisition in the "Historical Catholic Church" - p117[/FONT]

#26 BobRyan, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
  7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why I keep pointing to "the evidence" and why I do not limit the evidence to "only that which a cradle catholic would accept" but rather point to things that a Baptist might find helpful.

We are on a Baptist discussion board after all - so it seems logical for you and others in your position to discuss the sort of sources and evidence that Baptists would find helpful and which surely you found helpful.

Circling back to "nothing but the papal imprimatur is helpful" is the sort of thing we might expect on a Catholic board of cradle catholics - "We are right because we all agree - and we always say we are right" sort of logic.

But given that your own model is one of looking at the evidence as a Baptist - well then - objectivity is the reward.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which is A. Why I present Baptist sources on a Baptist board

and B - why I expect that Catholic historians, and insiders showing agreement with those Baptist sources on various points of history - will play well in a Baptist context such as we have here. It is entirely suited to a Baptist such as the one you describe above.

At no point could you have gone to your Pastor or to your class members and said "no historian can be trusted unless he has the Papal imprimatur on his book because as we all know - that is the sign and seal of least bias and most objectivity". They would have laughed you out of the pulpit and if truth were to be told - you could not have said it to them with a straight face then or possibly even now.

I think we both know that.

Some data in history is so blatantly obvious that BOTH protestant AND Catholic sources can be found in agreement on certain things.

Hence my list of sources.

I am not saying that cradle catholics will always agree with those common-ground areas - but then on this Baptist board - not all baptists will agree with the Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689 (as we have seen here demonstrated a zillion times by now).

Sometimes good and sometimes bad. When both are in agreement about the acts of history - we are getting closer to accuracy.

But when they show some forms of agreement they are showing less objectivity and more the epidemiology of their thought coming out of the errors of the dark ages from the same source - and having to reform and rediscover the truths of the first century again.

Catholic historians themselves admit to a few of the atrocities - and so that is helpful. But more interestingly - the Bible predicts that period - quite well.

And what is really interesting is that with the admitted crimes against humanity, the RCCs own admitted list of what it calls "Wicked popes" and its own statements on 3 papal LINES all functioning at once and all forced to end by the Emperor --- all hope of tracing something back to Peter - ends. And with that kind of bloodshed and error filling in their past - it would be a "huge red flag" if they were to then claim that those calls for "extermination" were in fact "infallible" still to this day.

I fail to see how a Baptist could possibly miss the point.

I think that if you were to review that point objectively - you would find that the evidence, the subject, the material you were using at that time would be most interesting to a Baptist today.

Far more interesting than "don't believe anything a historian says if they do not have the Papal imprimatur".

I am hoping for a return to that former level of objectivity in your discourse on this board - since this is after all a "Baptist board".

You and I are both outsiders to the Baptist board - notice how seldom ever - do I quote an SDA source NOR do I insist that those who debate me resort to SDA sources.

Then maybe that is the strongest subject - in common agreement for discussion here since as a Baptist you say you found that subject was the most compelling.

Let's do a thread.

in Christ,

Bob

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Now you are just repeating yourself. I don't know what the point of repeating the exact same thing is. But I don't find it any more effective in making your point. If your point is to say Catholics had a hard time due to leadership issues. I would have to agree but that isn't singular to Catholics. And the Church being made of people we tend to see these things. Even during the Apostles there was leadership in fighting. Not so much between the Apostles but the leadership they appointed and a few who wanted that leadership without appointment. I'm certain it wasn't easy for those Churches either. Which is why next to the NT writings we have one of the earliest writings having Clement dress down a church for disruption of leadership.

As far as taking the Catholic Position I think it is generally known that I am Catholic and I defend the Catholic Position. What is wrong with that? I don't go into Baptist only rooms and stay only in the other Christian section. However, I find it curious you would have a problem with that as you support the SDA position. If you are suggesting I'm a Jesuit spy then you spend too much time reading Jack Chick.

#29 Thinkingstuff, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
  10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You are jumping all over the place. Its a common anti Catholic attack. Throw multiple charges and no one can fully deal with one then say Aha! Its no better than a cheap shot. However, Waldaseans were heretics the culture in Europe at the time was to protect Christendom and for the most par the illiterate populace from falling into error. People Just didn't have American Sensibilities of that day regarding "freedom of religion". Each Government felt it was its responsibility to protect its citizens against corrupting forces which is why there was murder on both sides of the Reformation. Fortunately, we live in an era of freedom to share ideas. During the time period under discussion that sensibility just wasn't even considered. But understanding the History of the world its easy to see why.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are welcome to your opinion.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fact is you keep using the same sources and repeatedly just quote them over and over again because you believe they support your assumptions.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Would you like me to quote non Catholic Sources? I would be glad to do that for you.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me deal with the Imprimatur because this is a sore point with you and why I bring it up. There is a lot of work out there that disguises itself as "Catholic" but really isn't. So to ensure accurate Catholic beliefs or as one would say getting it from the horses mouth directly I think its important to use valid sources rather than invalid. But I've used non Catholic Sources before and I would be glad to use them again. However, as I've stated there are biases on both sides of the academic world. People on this board have no problem using them. So don't you think its fair to present the other side?

Let me be clear with the Eucharist. I will be glad to discuss biblical evidence for the Eucharist. Which I think is just obvious. But my study of history already had me leaning Catholic. The reason the Eucharist tip my hand was because it presented and either or scenario. Which due to that very nature requires decisiveness. The Eucharist is true or it is not. IF it is then holding to any other view would be wrong. At that point a decision must be made. But you are right it must be done on a different thread.
    However, the most compelling argument was this. What did the early Church believe? And fortunately for us we have tons of documents to show their beliefs which are more Catholic than Baptist.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From a Baptist POV - which you claim to have had when you were considering the Catholic church as a option - you would not only have accepted Baptist historians - but also Catholic historians if they were accurate - regardless of their papal imprimatur - so long as they themselves were either members of the Baptist church or members of a Catholic church and in favor of Baptists - in favor of fellow Catholics. Regardless of how liberal or conservative the doctrine of the historian - the question would have been - do they report history accurately.

After - even atheists have the ability to report history, report the news etc.

When talking about history we are not talking about "beliefs about history" we are talking about mathematics. An event either happened or it did not. The Lateran IV document either provides penalties against Civil authorities that fail to carry out the extermination order - or it does not. A simple quote will do.

What one "thinks" of it - is up to the reader.

here again you treat history and mathematics as if it is a function of doctrine and thus without pure doctrine, without the imprimatur no accurate mathematics, no accurate history.

This is a foreign concept.

What we are looking for is "bias" by one who is in favor of the Baptists and one who is favor of the Catholic church - but hopefully objective enough NOT to let the bias color their reporting of history.

You seem to insist that if they do not yield their objectivity they cannot be trusted.

Most Baptist would argue the opposite.

I have started that thread and defined the "size" of the subject I think. You are certainly right that it is huge and it is either-or. It cannot be both ways.

But I have only started that topic - not provided any evidence yet that the doctrine is right or wrong. Just showing what it is on that new thread.

in Christ,

Bob

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Funny how the Baptists, Mennonites, Quakers, and other free churches lived in the same times but could see that it was going against the teachings of the founder of the faith to kill others in His name. Wonder why they could see this but their Catholic and Magisterial Protestant contemporaries could not.