1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What a Deal!! Check out prices on SBTS Education!

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The problem with Southern is not the price (I love SBTS, by the way). The problem is the huge residency requirements. Those with wives/kids and involved in full time ministry, simply cannot attend (unless, perhaps, you are blessed enough to live close to the campus).

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I have to agree with the previous post, the problem with an education at SBTS isn't in the cost of tuition as much as the extra costs involved. Southern is located in what is probably the richest part of Louisville and the cost of living in that area is a lot higher than other parts of town...and unless you want to commute from a more economical area. Right now that probably isn't much of an option with gas prices where they are, so you are stuck with praying the price of living in Crescent Hill.

My wife and i lived off of Dixie Highway in the Pleasant Ridge area when we first got married and realized quickly the commute and the cost of rent/utilities would be about the same as living on campus in one of the 1BR apartments. Sadly that only lasted a few months b/c we found out we were expecting our first child a few months later and had to move into one of the old Grinstead townhouses.

Plus, the comparison schools are not recieving CP monies like SBTS does, so its a little like comparing apples and oranges.

just my 2 cents, which of course is probably over inflated anyway.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Smiling because of the memories and the notion of costs, newness, etc. -- in my day tuition (well, they didn't even call it that) was $100.00 per semester. Not per semester hour, per semester, full-time load. Rent in Judson Hall was $35 per month. And I presume that when you speak of the OLD Grinstead Drive townhouses, you are thinking of those put up after the tornado in the 70's? Anything that was built after I graduated (1963) cannot possibly be old, because that would make me ....... OLDER!

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

And that's what some of us did

I left an eight-year pastorate in Georgia in 1996 and moved my wife and three daughters (two teens and one almost-teen) to SBTS. Pastored a bivocational church about 40 minutes away and later added a part-time job on campus. It wasn't easy, but I appreciate the experience, earning an MDiv and a PhD.

Would I do it again? It's hard to say. There are more distance education choices available today. The expense of commuting is indeed more. One thing's for certain, you must have your wife and family completely on board, and you must take care that you do not produce a "seminary widow" and "seminary orphans" while you are soaking up a seminary training.

Bill