1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What a Diner Did for Customers Who Prayed in Public Wasn’t Only Tolerant, It Was Down

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you Christ? Are the diners in that establishment?

Do you concede this part of the debate, or will you answer?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Pastors typically (not always) live on more limited incomes. If a business wished to attract this demographic by doing this, it is a good thing. I have no problem with a business taking a little less profit to do this. It helps our pastors who many not even be able to work outside the church.

and based on that last sentence.- MP believes that disable people should get a discount also.

Bottom line - - MP will support a law he likes, but will not support a law he disagrees with. He simply makes excuses. Not consistency at all.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

What law am I not supporting?
    Senior discounts are legal, I am good with it. Civil Rights Act as far as age and places of public accommodation, is silent. I am fine with that.

Don't have any idea what you are trying to drive at.

As to Alcott, your questions are a much bigger debate...the nature of Christ and his sinless nature. That is a huge derail to get in to that. Let's just say that people making a show of praying in a restaurant are denying the very words of Jesus, and saying "Hey, look at me. See you pious I am?"

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Paul and Silas deny the words of Jesus when they prayed and sang hymns in the Philippian jail, as the other prisoners listened (the text makes a point of saying)?

5. Magnetic Poles

Intent and context my friend.

6. Magnetic Poles

One may silently, without show or display, offer thanks to God. It doesn't require the outward clothing of piety for validity. God hears and knows the heart. I believe many (not all) who put on such exhibitions, are more about displaying piety than humble gratitude.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intent and context, or content and in text, it really comes out the same. Some of the prisoners may indeed have thought or said, "You Jew hypocrites! They caught you doing some of your of schemes, and you got beaten, and now you're in jail with us that you call dogs, and you're making a show about your god that let it happen to you!"

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The context is that prayer is not intended to be done just for show. if people are "praying" just so that she can see them and give them a discount, that's a no no.

God praying to God could never be for show.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A cynical view.

OTOH

I believe very few might possibly be putting on a show. But,

As you say, God knows their heart...

and only God. You would do well to remember your own words.

10. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Morally, I have no objections to this. (Although it encouraging people to pray just for discounts is a good point. Though I doubt the discount was announced to the whole restaurant or anything.)

But...out of curiosity, what if instead the owner had been offering discounts to homosexuals?

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this might be censored, so I will do it myself.

#51 Alcott, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What does Christians praying to be seen to get a discount have to do with a restaurant owner giving discounts to homosexuals?

13. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just asking to see how one would react if the tables were turned and someone else with different beliefs or one we don't agree with was being favored with a discount.

You don't feel it holds any similarity at all?

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Not from the perspective of a Christian. If someone chooses to do something like that , it should have no bearing upon what God has told us to NOT do.

15. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not asking whether or not it's appropriate for Christians to do. (And neither would I condone it.) Just if it's something a restaurant owner did, how would Christians react?

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Prayerfully we would continue to treat them with respect and continue to share the Gospel. There will always be people outside of the faith doing things that run contrary to God's word.

17. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are in agreement.
    My view is that non-Christians are not bound to Christian ideals.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's up to the business owner.

But if they pray silently or very quietly, who would know who or what they were praying to...or even if they were actually praying at all?

The article doesn't say specifically how the owner could tell they were praying or who or what they were praying to.

My personal feeling is that a business owner can give a discount to anyone they please for whatever reason they please.

It's nobody's business but theirs.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The law agrees with you except in protected situations. This seems to meet the standard of what is considered religious discrimination. And federal law prohibits it. You cannot discriminate against folks who don't pray by charging them more.

I'm sure the folks who posted what she did weren't expecting it to spin into this. But that's why there's just no need to post EVERYTHING on FaceBook.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many federal judges like to make their own law. That's how we got Roe V Wade.

Doesn't make them right.

A business owner can give anyone they want a discount or not for any reason. It's entirely up to them. If the public doesn't like what they do, they'll close.

I owned a retail business for 10 years. I sold my product for what I wanted to sell it for and gave discounts to anyone I pleased. If someone didn't like it, they could go somewhere else. Let the market rule.

I would have burned it to the ground before I would let anyone or anything tell me any different.