1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What a Rabbi Taught Me About Keeping Christ In Christmas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Keep Christ in Christmas” is a familiar saying this time of the year. But you don’t expect to hear it from the local rabbi.

For several years I was involved in our town’s Police Chaplaincy. One year, at our December meeting, the Methodist pastor noticed that the napkins had a picture of Santa Claus on them. He slid one across the table to the rabbi from the local synagogue.

“Hey Steve,” he asked, “what do Jews think about Santa Claus?”

“Nothing,” the rabbi responded as he picked up the napkin. “Santa is a Christmas character.”

“But he’s a secular figure,” countered the Methodist. “Don’t you even let the kids get presents from Santa so they won’t feel left out?”

“No,” he responded. “We don’t worry about that. Actually, I think Christians ought to keep Christ in Christmas.”

Until this point, my interest in the conversation had been minimal, but when a rabbi tells me to keep Christ in Christmas, he has my full attention.

“Did I hear you right, Steve?” I asked him.

“Absolutely,” he said. “As Jews, we don’t secularize our holidays. It amazes me when Christians water down their message with things that have nothing to do with their faith.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ka...ght-me-about-keeping-christ-in-christmas.html

• Like Like x 2
  2. crixus

crixus Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can't have a real Christmas without Christ. It's that simple!

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Santa is not a secular character. He is a Christian saint.

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ.... seems you may not understand the difference between "was" and "is"

Was a bishop in Turkey, a signer of the Nicene Creed, a benevolent saint.

Is a fat man who lives at the North Pole, rides a sleigh pulled by reindeer, scuttles down chimneys, has a bunch of helper elves, has a magic bag with endless gifts, etc...

Was a Christian saint

Is a secular character

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever. No one ever made up such stories of a devil.

Exits singing "Jolly old Saint Nicholas, lean your ear this way . . . "