1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about hermaphrodites?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 19, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

This question was brought up in the homosexuality thread but it wasn't addressed by anyone but it's really a good question and also a difficult one.
    What is a person which is born as a hermaphrodite supposed to do?
    Imagine you're a hermaphrodite and you either feel like you're a male, or maybe you feel like you should be female or maybe you don't even know what you are. What is such a person supposed to do? Simply pick one sex and then get surgery? What does the bible say about this? Is there anything in the bible about this? I don't think so. But what do you do if a hermaphrodite comes to you asking for advice, what do you tell her/him? Or will you simply send her/him away because you cannot help? Christians have to be able to also answer difficult questions otherwise the people think that some problems are too huge for God and seek help somewhere else.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

One thing that complicates the issues re: hermaphrodites is that gender is not just external physical accoutrements, but genetic. Doctors used to make a decision shortly after birth and do surgery to assign a gender, often resulting in horrible problems later in life for the baby. I think now they can test for XX or XY chromosomes, and be more accurate. However, I would think that any surgery should wait until the person involved can say what they identify as.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

That's correct. The person also has messed up genes. Is finding your own identity this way even possible? I mean think about it. Men already get an identity crisis when their testosterone levels go done. How is such a person supposed to feel?

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

In these cases, people can only do what they think is best.

My personal belief is that they should be left alone to make their own choice/s. But, once they have made that choice, they should stick with it. If they choose male, then let them live as a man, if female is their choice, then live as a female.

God knows the heart and will have no trouble discerning the condition thereof.

5. standingfirminChrist

I believe that those who are born hermaphrodites are those that are mentioned as being eunuchs (greek: yoo-noo-kos) from birth. Now there are some eunuchs made eunuchs by man, that is not to say man made them hermaphrodites, but that they were not to have relationships as far as in a marriage. The Word 'eunuch' means 'a bed keeper' or 'chamberlain.'

I do not believe these hermaphrodites are meant to have those type of relations, but are 'made eunuchs from birth.'

6. standingfirminChrist

<snip> Wrong thread.

#6 standingfirminChrist, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006