1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What About Joseph?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Dec 19, 2011.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to the Christmas Story all of our focus is usually directed to Mary. What about the other individual mentioned in the story?

Joseph.

We see in Matthew 1, beginning at 18, "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost."

His future wife was pregnant. By the law he would have been justified at having her stoned to death. But, being a "just man" he was not willing to make her a public example and was "minded" however to put her away privately.

He "thought on these things".

Instead of jumping to conclusions he pondered the situation as he was a "just man"! He would have been justified at making her a public example..., but he chose not to. He could have kicked her out, but he didn't.

Then, the Lord spoke to him through His angel, saying, "...fear not to take unto thee Mary they wife; for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost".

Joseph was a wise man and slow to react. I wonder what would have happened had Joseph rebelled? Course, the Lord knew what He was doing right from the start.

All to often we seem to skip over Joseph.

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I think we to often skip over Jesus and focus to much on the supporting characters. lol

I guess there is mre written in Scripture about Mary than Joseph?

3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

There's a reason God didn't pick me for Joseph's place. I wouldn't have reacted the way he did, I don't think.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Joseph was a wise man and chosen by God just as was Mary. However, throughout all the gospels Joseph never speaks. Have you ever compared Joseph to the Joseph of the O.T.?

They were both good at interpreting dreams.
    They both went to Egypt under less than favorable circumstances.
    They were both sons of men named Jacob.
    There are other similarities as well but these are the most obvious.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never thought of Joseph being slighted in the telling of the Christmas story. His story is very brief and limited, but very profound. I've always found him a wonderful character. His love for Mary outweighed his pain from believing her to be unfaithful. And he treated her with great dignity even though he mistakingly believed her to have sinned. That says a lot about the young man.

There are lots of individuals in the story. The angels, the wise men, the shepherds, the innkeeper (who always gets a bad name), and Herod.

But the main character is Jesus. That's the focus.

If you want to see Joseph in a more celebrated role, you need to rent and watch The Nativity (2006). It's brilliant!! It shows the humanity of all of these people involved instead of trying to make them some perfect haloed figure from a nativity scene.

Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbjNnq1BkRw

#5 Scarlett O., Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

There are many potential sermons in the life and character of Joseph. One of my favorites is his deference and humility in light of God's providential yet miraculous work in the life of his espoused bride.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

8. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

That just goes to show you how wise Joseph really was. I can not count how many times my life would have been better had I not spoke.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Believe this Comment is in Line With My.....

.....thoughts on Joseph. So, a big AMEN to SW.

10. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Joseph listened to Spirit, instead of Law. Awesome.