1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What About NKJV?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Ulsterman, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Surely you are not calling King James secular?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. I think it's terrible to hear a Christian say such things. My version of choice is the NKJV. I do have a KJV electronic Bible and use it frequently to find verses. It works well with the NKJV and people who have such harsh and disrespectful things to say about it probably have not even taken the time to read it and compare. I thank God for it. He gave me His word in a language I can understand. I do not like paraphrases and won't read them. I also don't like the NIV, but I can't tell you why exactly.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Right. It means 'without self-control'. Just what the NKJV says. This is just one example. But there have been many times when our pastor has to 'translate' the archaic words of KJV. If you've been reading it all your life, you will have a much better understanding of the language. But folks like me, who came to the Lord as an adult find it a little harder.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Folks like me have been reading the KJV for approaching 2 years now. When you ignore the world's marketing, trust in the Lord to teach and you study, it ain't no big thang. It is far easier to read than the newer Bibles, it is far easier to memorize and the words you don't understand you figure out in context or you buy yourself a Webster's 1828 dictionary (Christian source before the English language got corrupted into the mess it is today).

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

<<Insert laugh track here>>

:laugh:

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What's so funny?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

God bless you, truly glad for you. That is your choice as a believer. Now how about letting others decide for themselves as you did?

That applies to ANY BV.

That's all your opinion. That's all. Your opinion.

Or you could just buy a NKJV or other reliable MV and it is right there in your hand.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Rufus, what version did you read before the KJV?
    I respect your decision to read whatever version you choose, I hope you can respect me as well. The NKJV was translated from the same manuscripts ( I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong :)) as the KJV. It really is just in a language I can understand. I believe God led me to it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know what it feels like to hear from God, so I don't think so. I will say this, if God leads me to the KJV, I will start using it!
    :1_grouphug:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Not that it is on topic, but I certainly am calling him secular.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I am not forcing anyone to do anything. It is not the Christian duty to force people to adhere to our religion or to the Bible. However, it is the Christian duty to be a watchman on the wall. Each individual will have to decide for themselves on this issue and each will account for it when they kneel before the Judge.

No sir. On the readability, that's an objective statement using commonly accepted tools for evaluating readability. The memorization issue may be subjective, but at least in my opinion and experience, the KJV is easier to memorize as it has a cadence and prose that far exceeds any of the modern versions.

Will you please point me to the official list of "reliable MVs" or will you please provide your personal definition of this term with a list of Bibles that you consider "reliable"?

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, since you asked nicely.

This list is of course subjective-

The ASV, ESV, GLT (Green's), LTB, MJKV, NASB, NKJV, KJV for starters. All are (mostly) Formal Equivalency translations which is MY preference.

'Reliability' IMHO is more tied to translation method than to texts.

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Primarily the NIV, NKJV and ESV.

I don't disrespect your decision, I just believe it to be wrong and I love you enough to tell you.

This is a topic of considerable debate.

Ask Him. Give it 30 days. Shut out the opinions and distractions of the world (TV, movies, music, computers) read the King James Bible daily for 30 days and pray on it and if there is no change in your life then perhaps it has no power in your life. However, if something else happens, be prepared, you may wind up becoming a fundamentalist :eek:

13. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

The word of that same king sentenced Thomas Helwys to die in prison for saying that even the king was subject to the authority of God.

I've never been too interested in the words of any politician...even when they wax poetic about religion.

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If a translation method is perfect but the texts are flawed, does this not make the end result flawed? Expressed differently, if you have two books using two identical translation methods but using two different texts, will not the end result be different?

15. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Bringing things back on topic, I enjoy the NKJV and preach from it. It bridges the gap between the two most popular versions in my church: KJV and the NIV. I also find myself having to explain/correct it less than most other versions.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Facts are facts the NKJV is translated from the same body of texts, though updated, using the same philosophy of formal equivalence.

17. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NKJV were indeed translated from the same textual basis, however, in order to copyright their translation, Thomas Nelson Publishers had to do more than just simple updates. They were also significantly influenced by the NA text, even at times adding marginal notes stating how the critical text reads. This casts undue doubt on the Majority Text IMO.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

See the bold above -- Yes, I noticed that such as TTU. I visited TTU a few times until I realized what TTU thinks of the NKJV. I learned the difference between the KJV and the NKJV.

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Correct.

I wonder why these NKJV translators are interested in the NA text?

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sure, but 'different' does not always equal 'wrong'.

And that takes us back down the merry road of 'things that are different are not the same', and that is where we have our major disagreements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.