1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about polygamy? Does God FORBID it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rjprince, May 1, 2006.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether it is "acceptible" or not should not motivate one to want to change the law or have the desire to actually be a polygamist. I personally (as still a single virgin) feel that women (being just as worthy to God as men) are worth much more than as a form of property and should not have to share a man's heart. When I am married, I want the one woman to have 100% of my heart. Just my humble, personal, totally unbiased opinion. ;)

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

how old are you 60?

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I had a Missions Professor tell a similar story here at SEBTS. However, I do not remember if the man in the story killed the other wives or just kicked them out on their own. Either way it is a bad situation. I guess the best thing to do in such a case would be for the man to live only with his first wife and yet still be responsible to financially support the others.

4. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heh, I will turn 26 this month. If you have perceived me on this forum as 60 (as in "wise"), I guess I am flattered. ;)

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Not emotionally support? What about children he may have fathered with multiple women? Just send them off with their mothers?

If God tolerated it in Bible times, and IF a missionary is working in a culture where it is accepted, WHY demand that the wives after the first leave the home? On what BIBLICAL basis could you justify his practical divorce of the later wives, in a culture where multiple wives were accepted and legal?

God forbade the unfair treatment of a firstborn son if the favorite wife bore other sons later. God regulated the situation. He did not forbid it. I fully acknowledge that from the beginning it was not so, but God did tolerate the situation. In cultures where it is common practice, what is our BIBLICAL basis for demanding that it stop?

If Elkanah had sent away the wife that had bore him no children, we never would have had Samuel... How about that... Samuel, the child or a polygamous relationship. If the marriage was illicit as Gina suggested, then Samuel would have been illegitimate. On the contrary, Samuel was God’s answer to Hannah’s prayer. Yet we clearly see that there were problems between Peninnah and Hannah.

I am not advocating polygamy, I am only suggesting that we rightly divide the Word in discussing the matter...

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, that goes without saying; most of us have enough trouble with just one...

But, seriously, polygamy is never condoned in the Bible, but polygyny seems to be.

Also, AFAIK, in the Bible, it's only called adultery when a man has sex with a married woman, not the other way around.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Where does the bible give us permission for multiply spouses? Who in the N.T. had more then one wife and was approved of it, or who in the N.T. taught more then one wife was ok? From what I've seen in the bible it is adultery to have sex with more then one person when your married, otherwise no rules about adultery or fornication are necessary. When God created marriage He created one man with one wife. Thats the model.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    by Hope of Glory:
    There you go.
    I think you're right here.
    The man in OT times is allowed multiple wives, but not the wife.
    Polygamy, on the other hand, according to dictionary.com is "marriage in which a spouse of either sex may have more than one mate at the same time".
    Rather confusing, wot ?
    Also, I have not seen in the Bible where the woman may divorce a man. It seems the right of divorcing a spouse is only for the man.
    But, back to polygamy, polygyny.

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go.
    I think you're right here.
    The man in OT times is allowed multiple wives, but the wife is not allowed multiple husbands (polyandry).
    Polygamy, on the other hand, according to dictionary.com is "marriage in which a spouse of either sex may have more than one mate at the same time".
    Rather confusing, wot ?
    Also, I have not seen in the Bible where the woman may divorce a man. It seems the right of divorcing a spouse is only for the man.
    But, back to polygamy, polygyny.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    triple post... [​IMG]

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Now DonnA, you know many things aren't specifically allowed in the Bible, but we still do them. We have to discern things sometimes by comparing similar events.

Btw, no one is proposing that we bring back polygamy today. The question simply was, did God allow it and how should we handle the few situations that do occur even today among the unsaved.

We agree, the model is one man to one woman. Unfortunately, sometimes that model isn't payed much attention to and then we have to deal with the consequences.

13. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Agree, it's also related to the level of class division in a culture. When there is a great divide between the rich and the poor, polygyny is more likely. In more egalitarian nations monogamy is more frequent. In an economic sense women are partitioned up like any other resource. When men have roughly the same amount of resources, everyone gets one woman, and when some people are flabbergastingly rich and others dirt poor, the rich get several women while the poor do without.

Right now we seem to have a situation in between, in which the rich have only one wife, but they are prone to serial monogamy. It is also no longer limited to men using economic power to get partners since women now have an equal role instead of being subordinate to men.

Because of the past great inequity in relationships between men and women polygyny flourished but polyandry was almost unheard of. Polygyny is also a stupid reproductive tactic since a woman may have three husbands but can only be pregnant from one at a time, while a man with three wives can produce children by each of them.

Christianity is also more inclined to be tolerant of polygyny because it allows the authoritarian model to remain intact, so the husband can have control over multiple wives, but who can be in charge if there are multiple husbands of one wife?

I think for these reasons we consider polygyny as more acceptable but polyandry is almost universally thought to be very odd.

14. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Not sure it is accurate to say that Christianity is inclined to be tolerant of polygyny. Judaism certainly was more so in earlier times, but I see little evidence where Christians are tolerant towards it. Yet, the authoritarian model is an interesting twist to the discussion.

I think the REASON we see more polygyny throughout history than polyandry relates more to the fact that men are better able to compartmentalize relationships. I find it to be true (NOT RIGHT OR OK!) than men are more able to have continuing affairs than women. Women do not seem be as capable of loving more than one man at a time as men are of loving more than one woman at a time.

NOTE: Some men have affairs, yet strongly maintain that they do indeed still love their wives. This is a very warped concept of love, but it is an observable phenomenon none-the-less.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT APPROVE, CONDONE, OR EVEN TOLERATE THIS, BUT I HAVE SEEN IT TO BE TRUE IN REAL LIFE, though certainly more so among unbelievers. Believers have the indwelling Spirit t convict them and so do not seem to able to carry on with an affair for as long a time without guilt. Then there are those who only go to church and claim the name “Christian”. These are no different from acknowledged unbelievers. If they were indeed believers, they could expect the chastening of the Lord for their open sin.

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm waiting for the guy/girl who's going to bust in here with the nerve to say they think polygamy is perfectly fine, and they have no problem with it. Everyone got their pitch-forks ready? [​IMG]

I know that on a board with this many people, there has to be a few.

16. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Personally, that would be a REAL shock!

Jesus repeated the original creation pattern in

How anyone can argue FOR polygamy/plygyny on the basis of OT concessions to a practice that God may have TOLERATED and even REGULATED is beyond my grasp. There are numerous things in the OT that God “suffered” that He NEVER APPROVED! Just because He tolerated it, does not indicate that he APPROVED the practice!

But, Gina, you may be right. I have my fork in hand... It is lunchtime in Georgia, or as we say in the south, DINNER!

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know it's a sin in the USA, as it would violate government law. In a foreign country that supports it? That's a tough one.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Does God condemn polygamy? I'll have to ask my wives. [​IMG]

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The real curse of polygamy is not multiple wives, but multiple mothers-in-law. :eek:

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

If you feel God is OK with polygamy, since it's not universally Biblically prohibited...

...you're gonna be REALLY unpopular on your views of slavery.

Not hijacking...just pointing out that consistent views on these things might get some in trouble.

I still stand by my idea that the pastoral requirements are God's "higher standards." And if God raises the bar there, that must be His ideal. Sure, "husband of one wife" refers to morality...but it's simplest definition is "husband of less than two wives." I think both definitions can apply.