1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about prayer shawls,flags, banners and Shofars?,

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tamborine lady, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

:type:

Usually there are 2 sides to every story. But I have searched the net every way I can think of and I can't find any one that is really against using these things in praise and worship.

So I decided to bring it to the one place that I know of that will give me scripture against these practices if there is any.

So give me some help here, is it biblical and can we do it today?

:confused:

Still working for Jesus,

Tam

2. tamborine lady

Come on guys don't leave me hanging here. I'm serious. There are churches out there that are blowing the shofar at church, waving flags and banners all over. The women are wrapping themselves in prayer shawls to pray.

So my problem is, should this be going on in church today or not?

Help :praying:

Tam

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see any problem with them, nor obligation for them. My Messianic Jewish friends usually do it.
    The only problem that I saw was the men's head covering ( Jewish kefa) as men are not allowed to have such ( 1 Cor 11) but it is the women's privilege.

Originally Shofar is related to the Jubilee and Second coming of Messiah, Banners are victory over the sins, shawls are usually with the words of God ( Tzit Tzit) where the sick woman take hold of Jesus by ( Luke 9:44)

#3 Eliyahu, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I guess I would say, "Why not use them?" As for prayer shawls, there is plenty of authority for making them mandatory. 1 Corinthians 11:2-13. Before Vatican II all Catholic women wore head coverings to church and even today you will see a few of them wearing their mantillas during worship.

I don't think flags, banners and shofars are mentioned in the N.T. but that should not automatically exclude them from use in Christian worship. After all, there is no mention of any musical instrument used in the churches of the N.T. but today nearly all churches use various instruments. In fact there is no specific reference to the use of church buildings (outside the Jerusalem temple) but we routinely gather for worship at a facility built for this purpose. The only consideration here is that whatever we do, we should do it for the glory of God.

5. tamborine lady

So, I guess it doesn't matter either way. Thanks to all of you for your help. I was looking for scripture, but that's a good point about instruments and churches.

Thanks again,

Tam

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Adiaphora IMO. Don't like 'em personally though.

7. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

8. tamborine lady

Thanks Lacy. I will investigate and get back to you.

Finally, somebody who daesn't just go with the crowd!!:godisgood:

Tam

9. tamborine lady

Well, I did some research and it is evident that there are some things to watch. I do feel comfortable with the shofar though.

I think that when the"last trump" sounds, it will be a shofar, not a metal trumpet made out of metal like they have in bands today.

Peace,

Tam