1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What About Zane Hodges?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

For Those Who May Be Interested:

In recent days I have been posting articles that, in part, address the teachings of Zane Hodges.

For those who may not be familiar with Zane Hodges: In the Lordship Salvation / Free Grace debate- Zane Hodges, from the Free Grace position, is as about high profile as John MacArthur is for Lordship Salvation. Free Grace and Lordship Salvation are as far from one another in the pendulum swing as differing schools of theological thought can be.

I go into a limited amount of detail about some Hodges’ doctrinal areas that I have a concern with. There are some details about why I chose not to cite him in my book. You will also find an abbreviated history of how I was drawn into the Lordship Salvation controversy.

It is a short collection of six articles, with one to follow next week. If you would like to peruse the article and the links, visit:

If you happen to visit I would recommend beginning with the June 7th entry and working forward.

Kind regards,

LM

#1 Lou Martuneac, Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who are interested, there is such a thing as the "Grace Evangelical Society" which teaches in the same vein as Zane Hodges and Earl Radmacher.......at least I think they do..........I'm not well-read enough about this to speak authoritatively. But if you want, you can be, by reading their journal, which they post past articles online:
    http://www.faithalone.org/journal/

Further, if you want, there are several other teachers who have taken sides on this issue, if you merely beat the bushes.

You can also look in Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology, Vol. 3, for a review of all sides of this issue. Geisler takes neither a Lordship view nor a Free Grace view, but spells out the issues and implications of all sides.

3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Humble:

Over at my blog I shared this about Hodges and the GES.

Among men in the GES there is some diversity of opinion on various isssues. It is my understanding (which is only hearsay), however, that Hodges' latest position on repentance, and the cross in the gospel message, has caused a bit of a stir in the GES. You can read some examples of his view on the cross in the gospel at The Teachings of Zane Hodges.

Kind regards,

LM

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe that Norman Geisler actually hold a "free-grace" view, as do I, from what I'm able to ascertain, but I am a farmer, not a theologian. (FTR, I am an associate member of the GES.)

However, in his Systematic Theology text, he is here, I believe, giving some summary of "both sides" of the 'debate'.

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nothing like good "hearsay"! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I have Zane Hodges book "Absolutly Free" and its excellant.

Mike

7. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

GES on Hodges

Hi Ed:

I came across this article. It appears the GES does have some concern with Hodges over the How to Lead People to Christ article.

The article is titled, A Response to Hodges: How To Lead A Person To Christ, Parts 1 and 2.

I did not have time to do a thorough read. The writer (Gregory P. Sapaugh), as I do, expresses appreciation for the good contributions Hodges has made to the Lordship debate. He does, however, cite some areas of concern.

Kind regards,

LM

8. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Final on Monday Morning

To All:

On Monday morning I am posting a final in the series of articles on the theology of Zane Hodges.

You can view the artilces that have been posted thus far by clicking Zane Hodges.

BTW, I have been interacting with Antonio da Rosa in the thread under The Teachings of Zane Hodges. Antonio is very passionate in his defense of Free Grace theology, especially as it is presented by Zane Hodges. After his initial entry you have to go pretty deep in the thread to find where Antonio picks up the discussion. There are several others who interact in that thread as well.

Antonio also posted a few comments under Free Grace Follow-Through.

LM

9. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I have a question.

How does Antonio interpret Romans 10:9-13 and 1 Cor. 15:1-5 (actually the entire chapter of 1 Cor. 15, which I call the "resurrection" chapter). I don't understand why he uses ONLY the gospel of John to make his point--that you don't need to understand the crucifixion, burial, and resurrection in order to be born again. That to me sounds like "Easy Believism/easy prayerism" Doesn't Scripture interpret Scripture? Are we not supposed to preach "all the counsel of God"? (Acts 20:27)

IMHO, a "cross-less" Christ does not save. One must understand why Jesus died and rose again on the third day(1 Cor.15:1-5)--otherwise he/she will not see the necessity of salvation. If one does not acknowledge that he/she is sinner (Romans 3:23), why would one have need of a Saviour?

Just some of my thoughts.

10. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Juggling

Hi:

You made some good observations.

Not sure where Antonio is on the verses in question. He and many FG people are really fixated on the Gospel of John.

I am not planning to get deeply involved with Antonio or FG. What I have done at my site is going to be about it. Tough to juggle family, job, blog, etc and keep the right balance.

This blogging stuff can be an all day deal, but it doesn't pay the bills.

LM

11. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Zane Hodges Wrap-Up

For those who are following the discussion of the teaching of Zane Hodges...

I have posted Wrapping the Series on Zane Hodges for reading and discussion.​

LM