1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by menageriekeeper, May 5, 2008.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This is the first year my 10 year old has played softball (fastpitch, NSA). We are part of a year round team and do not play league ball only tourniments. The only other experience I've had with kid baseball was with my son and that ended when he was 9 and that was several years ago. I kinda sorta remember how the teams were run but that was league ball and girls are different right?

The team has had barely enough players to play (9) and if someone can't play we've had to pull players from the 8 and under team. We've been looking for two or three extra girls to solve the problem. Coach found them and they came to play this weekend for the first time, they hadn't been to practice, but had been playing league ball so they were experienced players. If you think that gave us 12 players, you'd be logical but wrong. :rolleyes: We had one girl out for health reasons and one that didn't show. We had 10, my Jenna being the only girl on the team that hasn't played ball before and 3 new ones.

The other 6 girls all played together on the sponsering group's 8 and under team last year and our 10 and under team is brand new, formed so these girls could continue to play.

Now for the problem: The coach told all the girls that he was going to move their positions around so he could get an idea of how the newcomers played. He told them this up front before the first of three games.

In the first game, he left the original 6 in their regular positions and put the new comers in at outfield (this is where Jenna plays) because this is where the absent girls usually play. Jenna he substituted in and out and I wouldn't allow her to pout about it because these girls have a year or two of experience that she doesn't have. She got to play plenty, saw the logic and accepted it. No problem.

Toward the end of the game our first baseman(K) got injured sliding into home. One of the new girls(A) had experience with first base, our secondary first baseman was pitching, so A was substituted in and did a very good job.

Second game, coach left "A" playing first and moved K to third, our usual third baseman moved to hind catcher, the girl there was moved to outfield(with the outfielders continuing to be moved in and out so everyone got to play).

After this game we had an hour and a half break until our third game. A friend of mine that lives in the area had come to watch and we left the team went to have a picnic and didn't return until nearly time for the next game. We had missed the fireworks.

For some reason, K and her family had taken exception to her being moved to third base and left. Yep, left.

Since I know practically nothing about about softball, I fail to see what the problem is. Was third base a "demotion" of sorts in K's eyes? Because our teams are privately sponsered(by the families of the players) do K's family think they are "buying" her position? Was it just bad sportsmanship on the part of K and her family?

Or is there some other dynamic that I fail to comprehend?

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Did the coach tell the parents this before the games started? In every season my oldest boy played baseball, the coach went out of his way to come to me and tell me what he wanted to do with my son playing various positions. I assume he did the same and it probably heads off any potential problems.

Unlikely that the position itself was deemed a demotion, but if they didn't know beforehand that the coach was going to move players from position to position, they may have felt that the coach was penalizing her for getting hurt, or that he made the change because he didn't think she was good enough to play 1B. In fact, the latter is what I suspect they really thought.

I doubt that they think they're buying a position. It may have been bad sportsmanship, but I can't say for sure.

I'm leaning towards they thought that the coach didn't think she was good enough to remain at 1B and they were angry about that.

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds to me like the parents got upset because their daughter was not allowed to return to her regular position. When the coach left the other girl on first, he was in essence telling the parents, "She's better than your daughter." Apparently, they didn't like being told that.

I officiate basketball and football. I no longer take games under the high school level. The parents of these younger children take the game far too seriously.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I know the coach told me personally, well before the games, that we new girls coming on that were more experienced than Jenna, but that she would still see playing time. What he told the other parents personally, I don't know. I do know that when he talked to the girls the parents/families were all standing around listening. So they had the opportunity to ask questions about positions then.

Hmmm, lets see, we are 0 and 6, I wonder what would make the coach think that? :rolleyes:

Isn't it sorta expected that a coach will move players around to what he thinks will bring the result for the team? (winning would be nice)

I have to agree. :eek:

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You'd think that, but it isn't necessarily the case that parents will think this.