1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What are churches for?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'll just point out that if we didn't give any money to churches unless we agreed 100% with 100% of what they did, we wouldn't give to anybody! I don't like everything the SBC does with my money either, but I have decided not to worry about it, since I know SOME of it is going to good ministries & missions...
    ...on the other hand... wisdom in giving is certainly warrented...Our SBC church, BTW, recently greatly reduced our CP giving and decided instead to give a big chunk of it directly to the International Mission board.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sincerely hope not! Hey Im walking on air. Just got off the phone with a Pastor of a WELS / Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Church (after reading their belief statement on line) & I am kinda impressed with his answers to me & I like the WELS stance on things....Biblical, orthodox, evangelical....Let you know more on Sunday. Been away from a home church so long!!!

Les enthusiastic about their liturgical & sacramental / infant baptist stances but ....

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

You realize Lutherans mostly hold to Universal Atonement like Luther did right?
    Just curious if you knew that, since you hold strongly to Limited Atonement. Either way, I hope it works out for ya.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I am "DEEPLY DEFINITE ATONEMENT" & as a side note, I dont like the stupid robes they wear either... BUT did I say I was joining...or would you prefer me to do a Arthur Pink & just stay home.

Ive already told the guy my theology & I told him Im not changing. I also hold to Credo Baptism & Im not budging there either. I will just have to instruct them of their errors ..... In time, I will turn the "hole" place Calvinistic. :D

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

LOL.. I understand. However I would encourage you not to stay home but to unite yourself with other believers. I hope it goes well with you though. May you find a home with others, who house themselves in God.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you find...para church ministries....in the bible?

Do you find anyone operating outside the authority of a local church?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL.... Do you find trucks in the bible Tony? If not why do you make your living as a truck driver. You should be driving a donkey (name him Dominick) :laugh:

Seriously brother....too legalistic.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or...perhaps .....biblical.????
    Ex 25
    1 tim3
    EWF...
    Where do you see any para church group in scripture.....not under oversight of elders?This is not legalistic...but a biblical question.

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

There is no evidence that Dorcas (Tabitha) performed her ministry under the authority of the church, yet she was well-loved and effective. There is also no evidence that Apollos, Priscilla or Aquila were under direct authority of a local church concerning their ministries.

I am reminded of this exchange:
    Luk 9:49 John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us."
    Luk 9:50 But Jesus said to him, "Do not hinder him; for he who is not against you is for you." (NASB)

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one is saying christians should not serve God everyday. These are individuals...not para church ministries.Even your examples here in this post were church members...not lone rangers....:wavey::thumbs:

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That's right because there will only be Landmark Baptists! :) Or if a few others do sneak in, the Landmarkers won't fellowship with them. :)

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

On the other hand, vestments can make people equal, and they also take away the need for lots of expensive suits.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I also will second Allan's point that there does seem to be cooperation between churches in the New testament, jointly supporting missionaries, collections being taken in one church to send to another struggling church, Pastors of churches corresponding about ministry issues, and even a central group of leaders making some judgement calls about divisive issues (Jerusalem council).

14. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Only if every person in the church wears a vestment, right?

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You do realize that there are those who would argue that lutherans are much more calvinistic than you, with your credo-baptist radical-reformation leanings!

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I never could understand why Baptists and evangelicals thought it was okay for everyone to wear robes except the pastor.

I think every pastor should buy a $50 white alb and preach in it every week; that way, he/she could wear jeans and tennis shoes and it wouldn't matter. I've got a simple white alb and beautiful red stole with a dove emblem. No need to spend $1000 on suits. I've also got a plastic clergy collar that costs about $1; don't have to worry with ties or the cost of them.

#36 Michael Wrenn, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  17. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Back To The OP!

Gina...as promised earlier this evening, I would like to return to the OP and add to SaturNeptune's excellent comment only this....One of the greatest purposes I see for the local assembly is the mutual edification of the saints as we not only hold each other accountable in fellowship, (or we should) but that we also build each other up in the faith as we manifest the fruit of the Spirit as listed in Gal.5 as we daily are conformed by the Holy Spirit into the image of our dear Saviour. We need to get as proficient at the art of fellowship as possible. We are going to be spending eternity with each other. I pray the transition from HERE to THERE will hopefully not be more drastic than necessary. Our dear Lord Jesus Christ knows that fellowship between his children is VITAL not only for our relationship with Him but with each other as well. We should WANT to be around like minded believers as often as possible. There is definitely something very wrong if we don't desire that!

Bro.Greg

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and there are those who would argue that the RCC is the one true church as well...so what!
    Now if you are making reference to universal atonement, I am in total agreement with Spurgeon who said "you are welcome to your atonement ; you may keep it
    We will never renounce ours for the sake of it.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and there are those who would argue that the RCC is the one true church as well...so what!
    Now if you are making reference to universal atonement, I am in total agreement with Spurgeon who said "you are welcome to your atonement ; you may keep it
    We will never renounce ours for the sake of it."

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who wears suits Today. BTW you can by one "if you must" at Sears for under $200.00.