1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are some of the essential doctrines of the christian faith?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by AAA, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Dr. L.T. Ketchum New Member

No, that was not your question, but it is your thread and you can redefine it if you like. I was responding to the question posed by EG.

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm........that the Trinity of Father,Son and Holy Ghost are God.

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

You just admit that Catholics are Christian and in the same sentence proclaim their not saved. How can one be a Christian Bob and not be saved?

In any event, who left you the authority to decide correct doctrinal teaching in regard to salvation and then to proclaim who’s saved and who’s not saved based on YOUR infallibility?

Bob, Bob, Bob…now that’s a funny statement coming from a SDA who’s involved in his very own cult…
    -

4. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Agnus_Dei, I'm not getting into this debate, but you seem to have made a slight reading error in replying to Bob. What he said was, "My point is NOT that Catholic Christians are not saved." That is, he seems to be allowing (at least hypothetically) for the salvation of Catholic Christians.

Michael

5. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Sorry that I mis-read your post Bob. Yes, eventhough I was taught as a former fundamental Baptist that SDA's were cultic and not Christian, I believe that our Baptism connects us and that you as well are saved...although you'll have to spend a little more time in purgatory...
    -

6. AAA

AAA New Member

If a person is saved by GOD, then, they have repented, they have believed in JESUS as the ONLY way, they do have faith, and etc............

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have yet to provide a quote of me saying Catholics are not saved.

That is a key point to your statement above - you might want to show that I actually said it first.

Acts 17:11 provides the basis for the sola-scriptura test of doctrine where even the doctrine of the APOSTLE Paul is TESTED "To SEE IF those things are SO".

I would have to first BE catholic to use that method.

As my post shows - I am not.

In Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually - since non-Catholic Christians (just those guilty of venial sins but not mortal sins) never go to confession and never get absolution for venial sins - they (we) are condemned to spend the maximum time in purgatory possible for someone who lived their same life of sin and failure. Further as the late Fr Ken Ryan of Catholic Digest pointed out - non-Catholics though having the possibility of being saved -- are NOT saved under the New Covenant. Rather some non-Bible means is imagined by the RCC as a possible path for allowing non-Catholic Christians into Purgatory and hence in to heaven.

I know of no Catholic that holds to these beliefs out of spite for non-Catholics or out of any ill-will at all toward non-Catholics. I am simply observing the details contained in the points of that teaching.

But this raises a question - if one is guilty only of venial sins and we must pay for all of them in purgatory - what exactly is the blood of Christ paying for??

In Christ,

Bob

#28 BobRyan, May 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  9. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Christ's blood was shed to make possible the redemption of mankind; from the cross Christ accomplished our salvation. BUT…that doesn’t settle the question of how this redemption is applied to us. Scripture reveals that it is applied to us over the course of time through, among other things, the process of sanctification through which the Christian is made holy.

Per Romans 5:3-5, sanctification involves suffering and purgatory is the final stage of sanctification that some of us will need to undergo before we enter heaven, for nothing unclean shall enter heaven (Revelation 21:27).

Purgatory is the final phase of Christ’s applying to us the purifying redemption that He accomplished for us by His death on the cross.
    -

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the Robber at the Cross? Did he went thru Purgatory before he went to the Paradise? Wasn't he clean already to enter Paradise?

What can purify you?

Whar can purify the people in the Purgatory?

#30 Eliyahu, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no mention of purgatory in Romans 5 and there is no mention of "Christ applying his redemption to us through our suffering" nor even "Christ paying for our sins through our suffering".

Imagine for a moment there was such a text as "through your suffeirng Christ is able to apply the payment he made for you on the cross - to your soul".

Wouldn't that fill at least one of the gaps for the RCC's doctrine on purgatory?

12. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

The cardinal doctrines of Christianity, as I see it:

1) Jesus Christ is Lord.

2) Salvation is through the Savior Jesus Christ.

All other matters of being a good follower of Christ = Christian hinge from that.

#32 Darron Steele, May 3, 2007
  13. AAA

AAA New Member

So, from this model would Oneness Pentecostals and mormans be considered born agian christians since both of those denominations hold to these two cardinal doctrines?

14. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

If the PEOPLE you are citing genuinely believe the two cardinal doctrines I listed, then yes.

One is not made a Christian or unmade a Christian by where s/he is on Sundays. No building or group of buildings made of created materials or group of created persons has that power: Romans 8:38-9.

Of course, I suspect that you do not like that.

#34 Darron Steele, May 3, 2007
  15. AAA

AAA New Member

Both groups say: JESUS is LORD! and that he is the ONLY way, because salvation is by GRACE!

BUT, Both groups have another JESUS and another gosple...

Gal. 1:8-9 says: "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!"

But, i guess you would say they have to believe those two cardinal doctrines as the Bible define them for them to be a christian?.............

Amen...Because GOD makes them a christian by HIS GRACE through the shed Blood of JESUS and by the power of the Holy GHOST! Salvation is not a list of rules that we keep, it is having a personal relationship with GOD...

Well, you have suspected wrong...........

:godisgood:

16. Oasis

Oasis New Member

AAA
    Hi AAA,

Paul gives us the most essential doctrine.
    "Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
    For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures"(emphasis mine)-1 Corinthians 15:1-4 NIV

See you guys/gals in the morning!:sleeping_2:

17. AAA

AAA New Member

I like this, because it goes right along with ROM 10:8-10.........

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed - anyone that would could be called a Christian -

But that includes a very "wide" variety of groups.

19. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, let's break this down:

Who and what is Jesus? What does it mean for him to be 'Lord'?

Salvation from what? How is he saviour?

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

And this is where essentials begin to get muddled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.