1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are some of the essential doctrines of the christian faith?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by AAA, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Does the Bible teach anything non-essential. The word doctrine means teaching. The Bible says:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

I don't see how anything that God says is not essential or unimportant. Take heed to all of the Word of God.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed.

But Does that mean that only "you" can go to heaven because you are the only one that "always agrees with you" when it comes to the interpretation of every text in all of scripture?

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless anyone can have one of his or her members such as feet, hands, fingers, nose, eyes, ears, amputated off without pain.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

I think you have made a true and down to earth statement -- in view of the present discussion though.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

.... And I think your's is down right silly, Eliyahooo .... seeing the present conversation is honest and matter of fact.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What makes a doctrine essential, we shall first have to find out. Then only may we ask which doctrines answer the conditions.

The first factor I would call 'essential' for Christian Faith, as before, would be that is ought to be 'resurrection faith' or it is neither Christian, nor faith --- NO MATTER WHICH DOCTRINE!

From there the next essential would be that a doctrine should be to the 'edification' or 'building up' of the Body of Christ, his Church. And in this respect there is nothing to compare with the life's urgent neccesity of The Lord's Day "FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD" --- for without it -- lets face it -- there is no such thing as 'The Church'.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Sure (about Scofield's)! It's what you read! This is a literal representation of the Greek -- not an ideological interpretation of it! (Just correct the spelling above a bit, an see for yourself: "The Sabbath'S, end": Exactly, "Sabbath's-TIME" ) Genitive of belonging, quality, or time). That 'end' had already begun since the sun had started to go down from noon. It in fact was "EPI (the very) FOHS ((sun)light) OUSEHI (being)", "in its fulness/ripeness (opse)". Get the very same word in Lk24 where it tells you the time of day Joseph had closed the grave; it was Friday afternoon. THE SAME time of day, in Mt28:1: "afternoon" or "LATE NOON" ('Afr. New Bible'). Carson, the whole caboodle, avails nothing!

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

O Bob, how unbecoming of you! Please man, once again, how can you just after such wit, write, 'In Christ'? I think we right here have to do with one of the essentials of being a Christian!

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't disagree with DHK.
    Only the silly man would find it silly, which makes him more silly obssessed with Sabbath day issues.

#49 Eliyahu, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Alright, pardon me for being so blunt not to have been able to distinguish your sarcasm.
    It should be a man of such gigantic spiritual proportions to make silly him so 'obsessed with Sabbath day issues', seeing he has sweet blow all in retaliation but his monumental whits.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And prejudice I should have added.

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am quite generous or indifferent either to "Sabbath" or to " the day of Holy Sun", but the obssession is something one indulged in or is addicted to.

#52 Eliyahu, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Your indifference or my obsession is irrelevant. God is neither; He is very particular. He calls two things in Scriptures, "My Holy" - note the "My" - Jesus Christ and the Sabbath. Quite extra the ordinary; in fact, quite significant -- for God, that is.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because we are dealing with 'the essentials of God's worship', are we not?

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have through the years learnt where 'generosity' and 'indifference' come from; from complacency and a mighty esteem of one's capabilities and achievements.

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also from here:

Romans 14:
    5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Col 2:
    16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. I am not arguing that Sabbath keeping is an "essential" such that those who do not actually keep the 4th commandment are "not saved"

#2. However the quotes from Rom 14 and Col 2 do not help me make that point since they have nothing to do with either the Ten commandments or actual Sabbath keeping of the 4th commandment.

In this case Paul speaks of the list of days in Lev 23 arguing that "one observes ALL of them and another observes one of them ABOVE the others".

The problem is that none of the annual feast days are the weekly Sabbath by definition.

So while I agree the text clearly makes room for individual choice - it is not in the context of the 4th commandment.

In fact Sabbath is not mentioned even once in Rom 14

Here again the plural reference to "Sabbath DAYS" is going to the list of annual Sabbaths in Lev 23. Those annual Sabbaths "like Passover" predicted the future work of Christ and were GIVEN in the system of sacrifices. The 4th Commandment Creation Memorial Sabbath was given in Gen 2:3-4 as Exodus 20:8-11 reminds us.

The second issue here is that in Matt 7 we are told not to judge others "pre CROSS" and in Col 2 we see the SAME command given. This is not a "change" between NT and OT.

In Christ,

Bob

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob,

I know such explanation because I have the fellowship with Messianic Jews who keep the Sabbath and they are apparently born-again believers and present very much profound interpretation on the OT.

I would rather demolish the previous, old house then rebuild the whole house, rather than repair or renovate the old house, even though I would use some of the fundamental beams and materials such as Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery, no idolatry, which are still taught by the Holy Spirit. and I do respect the people who keep the Sabbath.

We must admit certain changes of the Law since the Law was based on the Temple Service and the Temple has disappeared since the Cross. Eventually we have to distinguish the Ceremonial and the Moral which can relate to the civil criminal as well.

Especially, for the Gentiles, many ceremonial commandments are left as symbolic reminding us of Jesus Christ.

#58 Eliyahu, May 5, 2007
    Last edited: May 5, 2007
  19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly in Hebrews 10 we find a clear end to the "Sacrifices" so that all laws based on sacrifices would then come to an end.

But in Isaiah 66 we are told that even in all of eternity - in the NEw Heavens and New Earth "ALL mankind will come before Me to worship" from "Sabbath to Sabbath".

Furthermore even in Heb 4 we have "There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" referring to that SAME rest already offerred in Psalms at the time of David.

And in Mark 2 Christ re-affirms the Sabbath saying that it was "made for mankind" as we see it "made" in Gen 2:3-4 and as Ex 20:8-11 "reminds us".

Having said that - I still agree that it is not a distinction between those who are saved and those who are not anymore than worshipping idols is a distinction between them as in the case of Catholics vs Protestants.

In Christ,

Bob

20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be a matter of Obedience and/or Disobedience, not the matter of Salvation.

Yes, Isaiah 66 and Matt 24:20 could be the good arguments. Heb 4 may be interpretted as meaning Jesus Christ.
    In Jesus Christ 7 days a week are the Sabbath for me. Everyday is Sabbath for me. While I am working, it is still Sabbath for me because it is Jesus Christ that is working in me, not I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.