1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Are Some Practical Benefits of Calvinism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jul 16, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Warning: This thread is not for the man or woman who is uncomfortable with what is common called Calvinism. Rather, this thread is for those who have beheld and tasted the biblical sweetness that is nicknamed Calvinism.

With that in mind, will you kindly share from your experience of Calvinism what you consider practical benefits.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

A staunch stand on what they hold as truth.

In a day where many people are tossed to and fro by every wind (or sneeze) of doctrine.

#2 Allan, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  3. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Calvinism tends to have a stronger internal consistency than its counterparts.

4. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

For a practical benefit, I would say it gave me a higher view of God. Before I praised him for his mercy and love, and completley ignored his wrath and justice. When I came to grips with Calvinism, I was forced to consider that side of God that I wanted to ignore. You know, the side that killed Nadab and Abihu for offering unauthorized fire, that flooded the entire earth, that has created a place of punishment that resembles a torture chamber. That God, I never knew until I became convinced that God is sovreign in man's salvation.

This higher view of God, has practical benefits. What we believe dictates how we behave, and this belief is in the very core of my being, and it pervades my whole existence. I find myself a lot less caring about the attitudes of men in my evangelism, but more about the glory of God.

After glimpsing the holiness of God and his greatness, as expounded in the Word and applied by the Holy Spirit, my view of man has radically changed, and so has my respect for man. I understand man now as a sin-loving, God hating individual, who's only chance for salvation comes from preaching the Word. So I no longer have the stress of trying to 'impress' my friends with my Christianity, by always acting happy and peaceful, but now I just preach to them, and leave the results to God.

So primarily, all of the changes in my life, and there are A LOT of them, came from the new perspective of God. I still have a long way to go on this journey, but it is comforting knowing that God is going to sanctify me through his Word, and keep me on the path of righteoussness, and somehow get glory out of me. I am so glad that God opened my eyes to this doctrine, and for the people on the BaptistBoard who discussed and debated this topic incessantly.

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess, a realization that God is the one who changes hearts, and not people of themselves.
    All of our loving service to God comes from His working, and not our own abilities.
    We are commanded to serve God, yet God, by definition, must get credit for all the results (Phi 2:2).
    God is actually God, and man is actually only man.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I almost posted about a dozen practical benefits in a list, but I decided against it. I just know what kind of reaction it would get from free-willers, even though they have been warned this thread is not for them. And I don't need that kind of angst. ;)

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I actually agree with all that has been said so far. Truth is truth. If you want to call it calvinism, ok.
    :)

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I could list many benefits for my walk personally, but Calvinism does benefit the Body of Christ of today in one particular way. That is, the Calvinist is [almost always] a staunch defender of inerrancy and other conservative issues that some in the Church are abandoning. The conservative non-Calvinist can find himself an ally with the Calvinist on many issues - inerrancy being the most important one today.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

One thing for me personally is that I no longer have to fear being "out of the will of God"
    That is, I don't have to wonder WHAT God's will is for my life, He has given us all we need to know concerning right and wrong in His word.
    If we obey Him, we can do whatever we want that is not sin and He will take care of us.

Also, with evangelism etc, I know realize that if I stand for truth and no one is ever converted, I have been a success.
    It is not my job to save sinners or change people's minds.

If I get on this forum and discuss with people of a freewill persuasion, I am not obligated to make them change their minds. As long as I proclaim the truth I am obeying Christ.
    So, if no freewiller on this board EVER softens on his own will and submits fully to Christ in this area, then I have still been obedient as long as I obey.

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

One of the biggest for me is hope. It gives me hope in my life and in my preaching.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I like to think my stand is staunch, and I am not a calvinist. I imagine staunchness could be found almost anywhere.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

and if you don't obey him?
    I feel the same way about the kingdom of God. If I preach it, and no one listens, well that just puts me in the same boat with Noah, doesn't it.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

First of all, even the times that we do not obey God are part of His plan. That said He doesn't make us sin, but we will sin if He let's us.
    I think sometimes if we get to proud, He will let us stumble to remind us who we are and our need for Him.
    But though we fall, we shall NOT be utterly cast down, for the Lord upholds us with His Hands.

I am glad to hear it.
    I was told in Arminian Bible college that it was my job to get souls saved.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Do you mean that if we don't all get in the kingdom boat with you that we will perish under God's judgement?

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I do find this one challenging as well. For example, Paul says that it is no longer him who lives, but Christ lives through him by faith, yet Paul sinned repeatedly (Gal.2:20; 1 Tim.1:15).

Then I come across Phil.1:6 and 2:12, 13, but I still wrestle with sin and may even sin to a radical extend.

I take this as one of the tensions of Scripture.

Ol' Spurgeon was a Calvinist with a soul winner's heart.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As a pastor I can say the same thing. In fact, I have come to take comfort in Acts 18:9, 10: Paul is in Corinth, preaching his heart out, with not much success. He becomes despondent, getting ready to leave town, when the Lord appeared to him in a vision:

"Do not be afraid any longer, but go on speaking and do not be silent;
    for I am with you, and no man will attack you in order to harm you, for I have many people in this city."

"What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. (1 Corinthians 3:5)

"I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth." (1 Corinthians 3:6)

Evangelism becomes a delight because we are used by God to call the elect to glory.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a non calvinist, the feature I credit to calvinism is the sovereignty of God. With the majority of people in our country catholics...who believe they are sovereign in salvation, I appreciate the fact calvinists believe (as do I) that salvation is of and from the Lord.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your signature line says it well - satisfaction with God. Also, confidence and hope.

19. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

I was raised in Arminian Baptist churches that believed in Eternal Security. The frustrating part was when you were trying get your neighbors or friends or unsaved loved ones to accept Christ or at least come to church and they would not.

I always thought I was doing something wrong, maybe if I presented the Gospel a little differently then they would listen. Then when I graduated from Highschool I began to research this ugly thing I had heard called Calvinism. I found that the scriptures taught it is God who chooses and it is God is who changes people. We are only to proclaim his Gospel and let it fall on whomever's ears he chooses to regenerate.

And since I don't know who are his elect, I assume its everybody I talk to and I let God sort it out. I don't get frustrated anymore when people will not listen or change, because I know it is in God's hands, it is his timing and his choice. That is the best and most practical part of Calvinistic belief for me.

However, even though I am a strong soverign grace advocate, I don't agree with my Calvinist brothers on everything. But I will leave that for another thread as I don't want to hijack this one.

IFBReformer

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't think Noah's in his boat, and I don't think it is seaworthy anymore. I recommend a different boat, preferably a slow one.