1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the Basic beliefs of Lutherans?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Jeff L, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L New Member

Hi, I have been talking to a Lutheran for a short period of time and would like some background of Lutheran Doctrine. I know some of the basic beliefs...as I figured a few from different sites from Lutheran leaders or churches. I was curious about the emphasis of Sacraments and Private and Pulic Confession and Absolution. After reading info online I am still in the dark about this practice, as to how a Lutheran church practices these beliefs. I know the scripture that it comes from ...John 20:23.
    What is actually practiced in a Lutheran Church as far as Confession to a leader and is an emphasis put on Private confession to a Church Leader?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Private confession is a rare regular practice in the Lutheran Church now a days, although some churches have a couple of days in the year when they specifically offer private confession. But for the most part people do not go to private confession, usually people are content with the practice of public corprate confession during the sunday service.

Since the forties very little emphasis is placed on private confession, before it is was pretty much required before communion, but with the increase in frequency of communion and growing congregations Pastors shifted more towards the practice of relying on the public corperate confession.

3. Jeff L

Jeff L New Member

Thanks,
    What would a public confession consist of? Does the pastor end it with "Your sins are Forgiven"?
    Thanks again for any info. Confessing sins to one another seems different than what I am understanding as far as the Lutheran practice of confession of sins...publicly or privately.
    Thanks for any clarification.
    Jeff

4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

public confession in the corperate sense consist of at the beginning of the service in the liturgy there is a spot where we all say a confession (same written confession) usually after a moment of silent reflection and is followed by the pastor usually saying something to the effect "God is indeed merciful and has had mercy upon you for the sake of His son Jesus Christ. I therefore as a called and ordained servant of the word and by the Command of my Lord Jesus Christ forgive you of all your sins in the name of The Father, and of The Son, and of The Holy Spirit"

There are cases when individuals make public confession before a congregation when they are confessing a public sin that they were publicly disciplined for and there are many cases where a pastor will hear this confession privately and then publicly announce their confession to the congregation and call on the congregation to rejoice in their repentance and welcome them back. Both of these cases are very rare.

5. Jeff L

Jeff L New Member

Thanks,
    That is what I was Looking for.
    Jeff