1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the differences between Sacraments and Ordenances?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Aug 1, 2008.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've always heard that Baptists make the best Presbyterians. Perhaps it works the other way too. Since we both switched "teams" I guess the net result is zero. Oops, counting DH, we're down one.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Paul was addressing the issues of the Corinthian Church. They had written him a letter. 1Cor.7:1 says:
    1 Corinthians 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me:
    --He was writing concerning those things.

Baptism, as we know it, is an ordinance. It is a command given by Christ in Mat.28:19,20. It is the first step of obedience in the Christian life. It is a must. It is absolutely essential. It is a command. There is no getting out of it. To avoid it is disobedience. Thus it is an ordinance.
    The same is true with the wearing of head coverings. Paul gives six reasons why women should wear head coverings. If they don't they should shave their heads in shame. It is a must. It is a command.
    The same is true of the Lord's Supper. We are commanded to keep it. It is commanded of the church:
    1 Corinthians 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    --That is the command that is given. It is a must, an absolute necessity.

Here is what Barnes says on the definition of "tradition" as used in 1Cor.11:2
    It is easily seen that the word "tradition" is simply "the teaching of the apostles."

The Catholics define the word as 'oral or written knowledge passed down through generation to generation throughout the centuries.'
    Consider that Christ died in 29 A.D. This epistle was one of the early ones written about 55 A.D. How much "tradition" accumulated in just 26 years? The Catholic definition defies common sense and does not fit the context of this passage. So does all "traditional" modern English definitions of "tradition" not fit the meaning of this word. Context alone defines the word. The context defines it as ordinance just as the KJV translators translated it. It is the teaching of the Apostles.

Another point to be noted is that these teachings: baptism, the Lord's Supper, and head coverings were all commands that were observed when the church came together. The women didn't have to wear a head covering outside the church service. Baptism was performed when the church came together. It was an ordinance of the church, as was the Lord's Supper. It was carried out when the church came together. In that sense they were ordinances and traditions at the same time. They were functions of the church as a whole.

We are commanded to pray, read our Bible, witness, etc. But we do those things anytime, anywhere, etc. The above are done only when the church gathers as a whole, and thus the word ordinance is used.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

It these are binding commandments, then why is not "Head Coverings" a current ordinance?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Good question! You would all have to ask your pastors that. Paul gives six reasons in 1Cor.11 why a woman should wear a head covering. Why don't women obey this command, and why don't pastors preach it. It is beyond me. As I have said before, it was a common practice 40 years ago and previous to that for as long as one can remember. It is a common practice in the churches of eastern nations. But since the time of the 60's, a very rebellious time in our nation, the practice seemed to have disappeared.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I know why we don't do this, as this is not one of the two sacraments - baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Question -- do the women in your congregation wear a hair covering?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The church that I am used to attending wears hats.
    It is not a sacrament because the Bible does not speak of sacraments. Sacraments come from RCC theology. That is where they originated; not from the Bible. Sacraments are a means of grace. Baptism, for example, does not do anything for you. It does not save, make you holy, etc. It cannot confer grace or is not a means of grace. The only thing that baptism can do for you is get you wet. It is done in obedience to the command of Christ. It is a step of obedience. It is not a sacrament, but an ordinance--a command.