1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Episcopal Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Craigbythesea, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

What are the differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Episcopal Church that make the former, in the view of many fundamentalist Baptists, a non-Christian organization and the latter a Christian organization? Before you reply, you may wish to consider than more and more Episcopal priests are leaving the Episcopal Church because of its ultra-liberal theology, being ordained by the Roman Catholic Church, even though most of these former Episcopal priests are married and have children, and are being appointed as parish priests where they and their wives are serving their new Roman Catholic congregations.

[​IMG]

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

As Robin Williams once noted, "Same religion...less guilt." [​IMG]

3. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

The Episcopal Church is the US arm of the Church of England. Most beliefs are the same, and the liturgy is close. I don't think they do the Mary thing, or believe in papal infallibility. It's been almost 25 years since I've been in an Episcopal service, so I'm not an expert on this.

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I believe that the Episcopal Church adheres to the Reformation interpretation of salvation through grace alone by faith alone.

Other than that they are almost Catholic. I can almost smell the incense now.

Well anyway...

Anglican Article XI
    Of the Justification of Man
    We are accounted righteous before God, only for the merit of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by faith, and not for our own works or deservings. Wherefore that we are justified by faith only is a most wholesome doctrine, and very full of comfort; as more largely is expressed in the Homily of Justification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_fide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Nine_Articles

http://www.pragmatism.org/american/church_polity.htm

Only by true conversion can one join the brethren as described in 1 John 2:19 and 3:14. For the Episcopalian this is at least possible since that are at lest somewhat likely to hear the Gospel from the pulpit. But that church is so liberal now even that's unlikely.

And without the true Gospel it is now quite impossible to get saved. Romans 1:16 says clearly "it (singular) is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes." Catholics don't believe at all. If they do, according to the Council at Trent, they are no longer Catholics. They are better described by Paul in Rom. 10:2-3.

5. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

6. Alexander

Alexander New Member

If you would like to discuss this further, please open a thread in the 'Other Christian Denominations' area.

I'd like to discuss it further (I'm Episcopalian) but the silly rules of this board prevent my posting in the "Baptist" area.

Guess my comments are safe in the 'Other Christian Denomintions' area but are dangerous here.

Whatever.

Alexander