1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the errors in the New American Standard?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Daniel David, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

DID IT CORRECTLY TRANSLATE ITS UNDERLYING TEXT?

If you can't comprehend what you read, just say so.

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Very interestingly, the NASB contradicted the prophecy from the Old Testament with the New testament. Why did the NASB mess up with the prophecy?

Ok, let us look closely on the prophecy.

NASB Psalm 69:21 They also gave me gall for my food And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

NASB Matthew 27:34 they gave Him wine to drink mixed with gall; and after tasting it, He was unwilling to drink.

Only 25 MSS said, "wine." These 32 MSS said, "Vinegar." Why did the NASB reject massive manuscript evidences?

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We should be selling tickets to this thread.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Askjo, I am gunna have to ask you to ignore the thread as you have no idea what you are talking about.

It is like everyone at the water cooler is talking about the college football bowls only to have you walk up and talk about what color you painted your house.

I publicly accuse you of loitering on my thread.

[ December 11, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Any MSS supporting the MV readings agreed with the KJV. Any MSS supporting the MVs and the KJV will show their readings.

For Example, Sinaitic Syriac manuscript supporting MVs agreed with the KJV and rejected the MVs on Matthew 26:42.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Hello, McFly, is anybody home?

This isn't about the various underlying texts. It is about whether or not the NASB was faithful to translate accurately from the text the translators chose. In other words, did they ever incorrectly translate a word(s) from the ecclectic text.

We all know it is different from the KJVs underlying text.

- Olsen, what are you doing standing around? I ought to have you arrested for loitering.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual, context simply does not bear KJVO charges out:
    Sarah wasn't just 'internally' beautiful. The Bible makes it clear that she was also very beautiful externally even as an older woman. Two kings with numerous wives and concubines wanted Sarah because of her appearance.

It isn't the NASB or NKJV that create a contradiction here. It is any version that does not use a word similar to "merely". Peter could not have used Sarah as his model if his intent was to condemn any sort of external adornment or beauty.

Daniel David is right also in saying that this supposed error is a child of your own biased interpretation. 1 Peter 3:3 (NASB) leaves some ambiguity. It is not necessary to read it as an endorsement of "braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses." Properly, faithfully interpretted, these verses in the NASB represent supporting, complimentary passages.

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Read carefully, external beauty is not prohibited but external beautification is. In any event, the beauty of a meek, quiet and submissive spirit is appreciated even by the unsaved.

We know how Sarah beautified herself, because Peter tells us - by being meek, quiet, and submissve.

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Inserting "merely" has Peter endorsing beautification via braided hair and gold. Paul categorically condemns such external adornment:

1Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. It has Peter giving examples of what a woman obsessed with external beauty would fixate themselves on.

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Well, the NASB correctly translated its underlying text while at the same time rejecting some of its supporting manuscripts.

12. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Nope. It has Peter giving examples of what a woman obsessed with external beauty would fixate themselves on. </font>[/QUOTE]ME'RELY, adv. Purely; only; solely; thus and no other way; for this and no other purpose

Merely means "only". You would have Peter saying to beautify yourself not onlywith gold and braided hair but also with a meek and quiet spirit, thereby contradicting Paul.

13. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Exactly.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminder to all - be careful but with the choice of words/language used and with the attitude shown by your words.

We are DEBATING, not deriding. We are focusing on the issue, not personality.

You get the pix, I trust. [​IMG]

15. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I just wanted to give a public apology for my use of certain words and phrases here. I got carried away quoting movie lines, and wasn't demonstrating tact and care in all of my choices.

I apologize for offensive and/or hurtful words.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apology noted on this end. And appreciated you "blowing the whistle" and notifying me of your OWN thread when you realized you could not edit it yourself.

New motto: "Edit twice. Post once." [​IMG]

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. It has Peter giving examples of what a woman obsessed with external beauty would fixate themselves on. </font>[/QUOTE]ME'RELY, adv. Purely; only; solely; thus and no other way; for this and no other purpose

Merely means "only". You would have Peter saying to beautify yourself not onlywith gold and braided hair but also with a meek and quiet spirit, thereby contradicting Paul.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Do me a favor Tim, read I Peter 3:3-4 in the NASB without the subordinate clause of "braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses". Hopefully that will clear up the problem you have with this passage.

If not, please look at some of the positive examples of "adornment" in the OT. In one passage, (Ezekiel, I think), the Bible actually has an example of how God adorned Israel like a woman. It was an expression of honor and love. Further, the words that both Paul and Peter use had a context related to the styles of their day. The underlying principle isn't to forbid all beautification but to avoid vanity.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The NASB incorrectly translated:
    from three to thirty
    from angel to eagle
    from son to servant
    from city to gate
    from dead bodies to garments
    from confess to give praise
    from God to throne
    And many, many others.

This is not faithfulness in translation.

19. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Are those examples where it mistranslated the greek text it came from? Again, this isn't about the other witnesses, etc. This is about the NASB and the ecclectic text.

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

It is diabolical "dynamic equivalency" translation.