1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What are the Essentials of Christian Faith?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Dec 17, 2016.

?
  1. Jesus death was Atonement for Sins

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Jesus had a Physical bodily Resurrection

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  3. Jesus will have a Second Coming, and must hold to preMil viewpoint

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Bible is fully inerrant/infallible

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. Mode of Water Baptism

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Salvation by Grace alone thru faith alone

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  7. ALL who die who never received Jesus as Lord are Lost

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. Spiritual Gifts now ceased

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. God chose us 'from the beginning' (2 Thessalonians 2:13) for salvation. The means He uses to bring us to salvation are 'sanctification [setting apart] by the Spirit and belief in the truth.'

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that was the way God ctuall did it, nonr would get saved, as none would desire Christ first!

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems that MANY here who post here have strange understandings on things as basic as Justification!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, for we do need the real Jesus save us, and then learn and grow into thereal doctrines of the faith...

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we have wrong undertandings on these essential doctrines, then havet o question what type of rebirth really happened!

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There could be misunderstandings because of intellectual ability.

HankD

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, I was mainly referencing those able to understand at least that Bible teaches Jesus is God, died fo rour sins, rose again, to not have all of that is not real Christianity!

#87 Yeshua1, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    if we were chosen before the beginning then you are wrong and the verse you use to prove your point proves you are .

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
    MB

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God loves us first, initiates the salvation process, an then we will come to faith in Christ...

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Cautious:Roflmao:Laugh....or not:Thumbsup

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God predestines His elect unto the salvation process, so Van seems to b haing a hard time understanding that!

12. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whooo boyee! Yahall ain't gonna be happy with me but here goes. First there are rules that must not be violated when reading the scriptures. First and foremost every word in the English Bible is the Word of God period or you are not worshiping the Most High, The Living God of creation. Before the MS puty so many, stinking, scars on my Brain and began shutting down functions I knew all three verses where God promised that He would protect His Holy Word and that not a word would be added nor deleted from the Bible He inspired to be written... Authored!

The two addresses I recall are Duet 4:2 and the other is found at the end of Revelation 22. And when dealing with scripture it must be remembered that the Highlighter had not been invented yet and to highlight something, God would repeat His command somewhere else. God has highlighted the fact that His Word is pure.

This, of course, means that neither the Calvinist nor the Armenian are correct! (I told you, all of you are going to be upset but I have information for all of you to mull over and to study on for understanding.) I am in neither Camp but rather I am a Biblicist... if God said it, I believe it! I believe every single word in the Scriptural Recortd is the God Breathed Gospel truth.

The scriptures, all of them are the truth or I am a fool and I admit it! So I am told all of the time that there are conflicting scriptures in the text, the trouble is that the scriptures are a mystery to the Lost Man. And if you have not been broken by God to the point that you have surrendered every moment of your life to the service of God, I can explain these apparent contradictions and you will not understand it. (2Thes 2:11)

so why am I posting this here? The nature of God is being taken into account, not in the least, here! God is both Omniscient and Omnipotent! So God is without restriction, meaning He is everywhere with everyone, all at the same instant but waiit, wait, a second. It goes much deeper, He is without limit. God was on stage with me in 1989/1990 as I was overcome by the Holy Spirit about six or more thousand years ago, likely, some better.

God created the Time/Space Continuum we live within for our benefit that we can live through this testing he has allowed, see Job. Before God created the first thing He had seen everything we did and would do before we die and either go to Hell to await the Judgement that will send them into the abyss or will go straight into the presence of God.

I pray you all can see what I have learned and want to give away.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why, I ask, do you quote a verse that reads "from the beginning" and then refer to it as supporting "before the beginning?" From the beginning refers to after or since the beginning, not before the beginning.

Now lets turn to the fact that we were chosen in Him before creation, Ephesians 1:4. Was this election corporate or individual? When God chose His Redeemer, before creation, He also chose corporately all those His Redeemer would redeem. Thus we were corporately chosen in Him.

To be chosen through faith in the truth, means we were physically alive, during our lifetime, after we had heard and learned from the Father. To support this, in addition to 2 Thessalonians 2:13, also look at James 2:5 which says God chose those who were "poor to the world, rich in faith...." So the fact we were chosen after we had faith in the truth, is found in several places. Turn to 1 Corinthians 1:26-30. Again God choosing people based on their characteristics. You want more, how about 1 Peter 2:9-10 where we were not a people, had not mercy, but then we became a chosen people who had received mercy.

Anyone who reads scripture objectively knows we do not read between the lines of one verse, and then nullify the plain reading of four others. Spiritual pride does not flow from humility.

14. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree completely. Combine what you posted with my previous post about God not operating from inside our Time/Space Continuum and I cannot see how folks hold firmly to either of the major positions instead of falling somewhere in the middle.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God predestined from eternit past a peculiar group , a remnant out ofthe ranks of sinful humanity, in order to show them off as His chosen objects of grace!
    Chose out due to will of God, not the will of man!

16. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes Sir. Some folks call this sovereign grace. This doctrine has been out there long before Calvin and Arminius.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

17. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While in large part I agree with that, the fact is (1) that not all Christians have the mental capacity to understand certain things and (2) this would replace salvation by grace with salvation by merit if we assume all Christians will come to a proper understanding.

Key to your statement is "as we study." Not all Christians study. For this reason the Writer of Hebrews rebukes his Hebrew brethren.Many get a weekly dose of the Bible and that is pretty much it. Doesn't mean they are any more or less saved, just as a vast knowledge doesn't mean one is more saved, lol.

Would you mind telling me your understanding of the "Kenosis?"

God bless.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops, looking at the original post I see that this was indeed addressed to me.

There are many flavors to this doctrine and as is often times the case - disagreement as to what it means.

The Key passage for the kenosis:
    Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation (kenoo), and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

One of the standard definitions:

Kenosis: the relinquishment of divine attributes by Jesus Christ in becoming human (a.k.a. The Incarnation).

I like one of the explanations in Kittel's Volume III, page 661 that Jesus Christ in His incarnation "did not exploit His divine form and mode of being but by His decision emptied Himself of it or laid it by taking the form of a servant by becoming man".

In my own words - in the incarnation He did not cease to be God but of His own will did not take advantage of the prerogatives of deity.

Beyond that I don't really want go only because it might start a BB firestorm of which I have decided to never again participate therein.

HankD

#98 HankD, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  19. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would probably be pretty close to how I view it, in that the Son of God did not empty Himself of Deity at all, but rather veiled that Glory with the flesh He took upon Himself. So I agree with how it is phrased above, "did not exploit His divine form and mode of being but by His decision emptied Himself of it," but what follows leaves too much room for the implication His divine form ceased, "or laid it by taking the form of a servant by becoming man".

So in view would be His Glory, rather than His Deity that was "emptied." He remained God at all times.

Where's the fun in that?

;)

God bless.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I agree that's why I was emphatic to say He did not cease to be God.

One has to be careful with Kittel's TDNT - some neo-orthodoxy shows up when they editorialize but for the semantic historical development (both religious and secular) of words, IMO it is excellent.

I purchased my set a couple of centuries ago at Calvary U. and have used it extensively.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.