1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the marks of an 'authoritative' Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Mexdeaf, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The phrase 'authoritative' has been applied to the KJV in another thread. What makes a version of the Bible 'authoritative' or not 'authoritative' as the case may be in your mind?

2. RedGhost

RedGhost New Member

I'd say if a version can be used for teaching, reproof, correction and training
    in righteousness..then it is authoritative.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness," 2 tim 3:16 ESV

I wouldn't consider a version authoritative if it had been corrupted by heretics (ie. JWs),
    nor if it wasn't sufficient to train in righteousness (not sure what fits here..but what
    I have in mind is a translation that would endorse some sin..like abortion or homosexulality).

I consider most older and modern versions fit this criteria: KJV, Geneva, NKJV,
    NIV, NASB, ESV..etc..

peace,
    RG.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

To my mind, and IMHO, an authoritative Bible would be translated from the best manuscripts and translated as literally as possible.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would add that an authoritative translation is one that understands the need for the counsel of many in the translation process (otherwise, it's just a paraphrase)...this is why "the Living Bible" and "Message" paraphrases, though some would say are helpful, are not authoritative.

(Let's avoid a message debate here, shall we?)

5. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

God is not limited by any Bible.

God brings us forth by the Word of Truth, it's Spirit and Life. It is pure Grace.

David

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tongue in cheek answer:

"Greek letters and Hebrew verbs :)"

Serious answer:

If the translation faithfully renders reliable source texts. I know that's as clear as mud :).

7. Keith M

Keith M New Member

An authoritative Biuble version would be one that is truly the word of God, whether it be the revered KJV or one of the modern versions such as the NKJV, the NASB, the NIS or the ESV.

I would exclued "specialty" versions like the Klingon Version and the Cotton Patch Version and paraphrases such as the Living Bible and The Message.

Lastly I would exclude Bibles "translated" with the sole purpose of making the Bible conform to errant teachings of cults. Such versions would include the Joseph Smith Tanslation or the Inspired Version (Mormons), the Clear Word Translation (Seventh Day Adventists) and the New World Translation (Jehovah's Witnesses).

8. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Seems like the devil is smiling when we stop preaching the Gospel. His wiles are very clever indeed.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the NIS Keith ? Did you mean the NIV ?

I disagree about having a translation which is as literal as possible . That would be nonsensical . The less translationese , the better .

Being as faithful as possible to the orginal intent of the autographs while making it understandable enough for the readers is important .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.