1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are we promoting here?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 22:17, With the Christmas season upon us, "Come, Lord Jesus" ..... So what does that mean?

Does it mean that God expects us to live in a state of anxiety, that our most fervent wish is for the Lord to return and turn everything around, alleviate our anxiety, fix the problems, fulfill our longings & expectations?

I sincerely don't know if we do (and I include myself).... Often I am anxiety ridden......I'm always running, without time, concerned with schedules, timetables, agendas ......always refusing to live in openness & in a state of surrender. We demand of ourselves and one another what the Word of God told us not to demand and not even to expect.

Personally..... I'm thinking I'm going to live in a state of joy, because God has done so much for me. Gotta change my own attitude toward life, take a break, become awake to things, live in the now, have an attitude of gratitude.

So that I can truly say, "Come, Lord Jesus."

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see it more like wanting God to set everything right here!
    That His will be done now on earth as in Heaven!

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Thessalonians 3:5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.

We see from the above passage the it should be the norm for Christians to desire the return of Christ more than anything else in this World. But it takes God's grace for us to understand that we have a purpose here while we wait patiently.

My thoughts are as followed...

It seems that the Biblical reality for Christians SHOULD BE that of Paul's:

Philippians 1:23-24 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
    Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

sadly, Christians (in America) care more about the things of this world than they ought to. Yes we should be torn between leaving this earth to be with the Lord or staying and ministering for His glory. Too many Christians I know act like if the Lord returned today that would put a damper in their career or they wouldn't get to see certain accomplishments completed.

Let me finish by saying it seems that the Biblical/healthy perspective is that we should need patience here on this earth as to not lose focus on doing the Lord's will while we are here. Those who don't care if the Lord comes anytime soon are either lost or drunk off the world's pleasures.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats because allot of them are NOT submitting to the Lordship of Christ

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. It's as if they've been sitting under pastors who've not told them we ALL are MINISTERS of Christ.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember the day that I came to a Wednesday night church meeting....I was probably first there to discover a distraught Pastor, so I asked what was wrong & the answer he gave me the answer, "Steve its a disease called affluensa.'' I think its a lot of unsaved people in the pews .... a cosmetic piety. Now at the time I was a Presbyterian and the church was Presbyterian so you can justify it because they don't come in saved.....so when I did get regenerated I immediately went to Baptist churches, after all Baptists are a gathering of transformed people right. But I have discovered that that was a false narrative, there are a ton of people who say they are saved but they are not. So what you have is a church with a lot of people in the pews waiting for the next sermon & going on the weekly basis but with zero ambition to go out there and make disciples for Christ. I call them the Pay, Pray & Obey crowd LOL!

And that used to upset me, disorient me, make me sad. But Ive learned to accept it for what it is....more of a gathering place than anything else. And that's OK, people need to get together occasionally and worship, have a meal etc. And sometimes you even meet a genuine saint in the crowd that replenishes your fervor for Christ. But you see, I'm not content with that. I'm only (six years saved) and I want more, I want life & I want it abundantly. And Christ has given us that!

Here is my summary, in John 20:27, Thomas is asked by Jesus to touch the wounds (and believe)! How many of us ever would do that.....we are not awake, we do not see & believe, we shy away of pressing commitments that will transform us. We would rather have lazy same old same old church services and Christmas Cantatas. I don't think the world will put up with that any more. So until we can meet the living Christ in this world, in our lives (on this side of death) don't expect much in the way of new converts.....and we are the ones, the Saved, the Regenerated, The Transformed who should both recognize & do something about it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that's why loving God is a commandment. After we are saved we must pursue Him with all of our heart and strength and might! The world wants to grab our attention, but we must fight! We must endeavor to make the Lord the Object of our affection--learn of Him, worship Him, praise Him, make time for doing His work. Loving Him isn't grievous, the war against the world, the flesh and the devil can Be.

What you describe is the reality of fruitless Christianity. The Israelites suffered the same thing with their selfish motives behind their "worship." They had a greater desire to get rather than to give.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite passages that will transform your mind into a Godly mindset is this....

Colossians 3:1-4 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
    For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
    When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, when Jesus is not the Lord of our lives we will inevitably lord it over one another. That attitude has resulted in the domination, competition and success agenda of much of Western civilization. And so what they have done is created a sudo (sp?) success & happiness that has defeated your soul already, through a culture of affluence, in other words 'Mammon Illness' ... just like my old pastor said (affulenza).....LOL, {some symptoms} Running, Running, Running & never being satisfied & Never enough time etc. I'm seeing it in my world, in my life, even in the lives of my loved ones. What does Christ say in scriptures, how does he put it in Luke 12:29-31 , doesn't He basically say, why are you running & why are you so concerned....these are the things the Pagans do? Put your total life in the hands of God & seek first Gods kingdom.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is not so much failing to submit to the LORDship of Christ.
    That is just a symptom of something else.

The problem is not wanting to do so.
    Why?
    Revelation 2:4 ... I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

Matthew 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Many attempt to walk with one foot in church the other in the world. The Spirit is then grieved/quenched along with the agape love of and from the Father.

We need an awakening and a revival.

HankD

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about some sackcloth and ashes? On our knees! I believe that word is repentance.

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, rend our hearts and not our clothes.

It's time we dealt with the inward realities instead of all these so called "revivals and camp meetings" that do nothing unless we confess our sin and apathetic attitudes towards the Gospel and God Himself.

Joel 2:12-13 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
    And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Repentance is a gift from God.

I believe all we can do is see the need for repentance and then ask for it (for ourselves or others) and wait for it to come.

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1