1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Are Your Favorite Smartphone Apps?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by InTheLight, Oct 7, 2013.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last December I got a Motorola Droid Maxx HD and over the past months I've really learned how to use it effectively, yet I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface. Anyway, my favorite app at the moment is Feedly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devhd.feedly

Feedly provides links to your favorite web sites and blogs into an easy to use format. My main use of Feedly is to get my custom built news sent to my phone. For example, under a tab labeled News I have chosen to get news feeds from Washington Post Politics Breaking News, Reuters News Top Stories, The New York Times, StarTribune (my local newspaper), Google News, The Economist Daily News, and Fox News. You can delete or add feeds at any time.

I'm a baseball fan so I've got a tab labeled Baseball and I have it feed me ESPN MLB News, MLB.COM News, The Hardball Times, and Beyond the Box Score.

Under the tab I call Weird Stuff, I've got Laughing Squid, BoingBoing, Oddity Central, and the NYTimes Funny and Weird.

Under Finance I have CNNMoney.com, Fool.com, MarketWatch.com, and Morningstar Articles.

There are other News Feed apps that I've tried but I think Feedly is the best one. Others I have tried are Flipboard, Pulse, News Republic, and Google Currents. I would put Flipboard as 2nd best.

Another App I get a lot of use out of is TapATalk.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

This is an app for reading and posting to discussion forums. If you've ever tried to post and edit posts using the browser in your phone you know what a headache that can be. TapaTalk makes it very easy. Thankfully, BB is TapaTalk compatible.

Finally, I've got to mention Google Now. Google Now is voice commands and informational cards. The voice commands are similar to Apple's Siri app. "Who's the president of Kenya?"
    "Is it going to rain tomorrow?"
    "How tall is the dome at the Jefferson Memorial?"
    "What's 54 X 78?"
    "How many teaspoons in a cup?"
    "When will United Airlines flight 805 land?"
    "How do I say 'I need a taxi' in German?"
    "Remind me to call Mom at 6:30 tonight."
    "I'm taking a nap. Wake me up in 45 minutes."
    Send text to Mom, 'I'll be there in 15 minutes.'
    "Email Paul. Subject Football Game. Message do you want to meet at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game?"

Here's a video that demonstrates some of these functions. It's quite amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQX-_Y0gms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What are some of your favorite apps?

#1 InTheLight, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't have any. My phone is a phone.