1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are your thoughts on this statement

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TennisNE1, Feb 12, 2010.

1. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

"God showed up and showed off at church today"?

Cindy

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think it makes any sense.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not comfortable with it. Implies a narcissitic quality that I don't believe God has.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sounds kind of Benny Hinnish to me.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm not comfortable with it either. The showed off part caught my eye first, but that part about God showing up is bothersome too.

#5 mcdirector, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Meh, it's usually said by a leader after a particularily compelling service. I've heard it before and have always appreciated the heart (usually) of the person saying it.

I hope that God shows up every day. As for showing off...that's evident in my wife ;)

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But what does it mean to say "God showed up?" God is omnipresent; it's not like we evoke Him or something at church. He's always there, and here, and everywhere.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

showing off sounds like a sinful attitude.

9. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Thanks for your replies. I too am troubled by this statement. It has a certain amount of, "I'm here God, now live up to your obligation to entertain me" attitude.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree with everyone else. I don't like it at all.

11. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

It's a remark made about a special time of recognising the presence of God more than at other times. It has nothing to do with Ben Hin. When God "shows out" remember he does it like only he can and makes a lasting impression and with surmountable grace. Sometimes we're too fast at condeming something we don't fully understand about what others mean. I'd have to say when God divided the Red Sea he showed up and didn't finish showing out at that time until the pharoah's army was drowned in it. Think of it, Ben Hin wasn't there that day!

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Bluntly?

It sounds like a poorly thought out sanctimonious attempt to get an 'amen;'

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

We know exactly what it is supose to mean, but it's still a bad thing the way it's put.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yes, it does!

There already exists plenty in the Bible itself to "amen" without conjuring up silly statements.

#14 mcdirector, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
  15. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

It's nothing more than giving a report on something God did in a situation whether it is a bible event or a personal one. You all have no basis by which you condemn it but your opinions of how you say it sounds. Why is it so many are so fast in condemning? "What's everybody amening about?" "Because God showed up in a drunk's life, saved him and is now showing out by saving his friends and family!" "Yes, God showed up and God showed out!" What's "wrong" with that report???

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Well, the quote was 'God showed up and showed off at church today"?' He doesn't have to 'show off.'

Beside, criticism is a lot different than condemnation.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It says nothing- nothing at all. It puts God in the place of entertainer rather than Creator.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Amen! :laugh:

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul,

I agree with Roger. No one is condemning anyone or anything here. We were merely asked to give a critique. And that's what we did. We need to be very, very careful how we speak about God.

Let me post this commentary (and I can't for the life of me find the author - it is not mine) about God "showing off". Please read it. It's the basis of where everyone here is coming from.
    .....................................................................................................................

God is not a show off
    (author unknown)

Sadly, we are usually so blind to the supernatural that we need such blatant miracles as those mentioned above (healing the drug addicts and drunkards) before conceding that maybe God is at work. The fact is, however, that character-building is such a priority with God that he often uses less dramatic methods than instantaneous deliverances.

Battles make us strong. Less dramatic deliverances are no less a work of God, and yet our dull mind has more difficulty in grasping this fact. For example, any act of God that he performs regularly, we often refuse to call a miracle or even acknowledge that God is in it. We usually simply dismiss it as ‘nature.’

God has no need to show off. If we refuse to respond to the subtle signs he gives us, that’s our loss. Although he loves us, the fact remains that we need him, not vice versa. He is our God, yet half the time we foolishly act as if we were his God. If we try ordering God around, arrogantly refusing to acknowledge him unless he jumps when we want him to, we’ve got a problem.

If, however, we are willing to let God control our lives, we are headed for an exciting adventure.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

To say "God showed off" is attributing to Him a human character flaw. When we talk of someone showing off, it is always meant as someone being conceited and self serving.

Maybe the person who made the comment didn't mean it that way, but it is a bad choice of words to describe God.