1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What "aspects" of Mormon doctrine are orthodox?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by UZThD, Apr 5, 2005.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Someone in a discussion of Fuller Seminary said some "aspects" of Mormon doctrine are orthodox. Which aspects?

2. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I've studied the Mormon doctrine, and I have a friend in the ministry who is devoted to witnessing to the members of the LDS, and he agrees with me that we can not see any aspect of that faith that is orthodox.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I can only think of one thing about Mormonism that is good. That is their concern for the family. But even that is warped since they think the family extends into eternity and is the nucleus for their "exalted" position of populating a world of their own.
    My brother converted to mormonism, and man is he messed up!

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. natters

natters New Member

- they believe the Bible is the word of God.
    - they believe in Satan, Heaven and Hell.
    - they believe in the Virgin birth (although they also believe God had literal sex with Mary).

There may be other things, but in general Mormonism is very heterodox.

5. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi natters,

Although that sounds orthodox....It isn't

"We believe the King James Bible to be the Word of God, insofar as it is correctly translated."

Emphasis mine...From their statement of faith. The leader of the LDS is a "living prophet" who gives revelation as to what is "correctly translated".

They believe that Satan is Jesus' brother.

Heaven is the abode of Elohim (the name they use for God) and is located on or near a star called "Kolob". I've fogotten exactly which.....
    If you're a good Mormon, then you'll be given a planet to populate and rule from your own Heaven.

Elohim had sex with Mary, so the "virgin birth" isn't really all that virgin. They call it virgin in the sense that she didn't have sex with a human being......

A lot of it sounds "Christian", until one looks at the definitions.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

- they believe the Bible is the word of God.
    - they believe in Satan, Heaven and Hell.
    - they believe in the Virgin birth (although they also believe God had literal sex with Mary).

There may be other things, but in general Mormonism is very heterodox.
    </font>[/QUOTE]First: Your third statement "they believe in the Virgin birth (although they also believe God had literal sex with Mary)" is self contradictory. If Mary had literal sex with the Mormon God she was no longer a virgin.

Second: It is doubtful that they believe that the Bible is the word of God since they ignore most if not all of its teachings.

Third: Mormons may say they believe in Hell but they really believe in universal salvation with three different Heavens: the telestial, where nonbelievers reside; the terrestrial, where Christians and not so good Mormons reside; the celestial where good Mormons reside. The celestial Heaven itself contains three levels. Those in the highest level can attain godhood. Mormons also believe that Satan was the spirit-brother of God the Son prior to His incarnation.

In short, Mormonism is a pagan, polytheistic religion. There is nothing in it that can be called good. It represents the worst of the man-made religions.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

mcgyver

I did not intend to repeat the essence of your response to natters. You apparently wrote while I researched.

8. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Brother OldRegular....

You and I finally agree 100 percent on something.. :D :D [​IMG]

P.S. that's ok...You stated a couple of things better than I...

9. natters

natters New Member

Guys, I agree with you all. I was simply answering the original poster, trying to think of things where Mormons were "orthodox". It is orthodox to believe in Satan, and heterodox to deny he exists, etc. I did not mean to appear I was defending Mormonism in any way. [​IMG]

10. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi natters,
    Didn't think you were!

I'm glad you posted.....so many times the cults couch their language in terms that sound "Christian"; until those terms are defined, exposing them for what they really are...

As I said.....somehow I just can't see you defending any of the cults, You love our Lord too much! [​IMG]