1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What book has influenced you the most?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by TomVols, Jul 22, 2001.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Outside of the Bible (which is a given) and any preaching text (Which is discussed on another thread), what book has influenced your life/ministry the most?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink. I was attending Central Seminary AND finishing high school at the same time (got 27 credits from Central during my 3 high school years by going to class early a.m. and nights) when I started to run into calvinistic thought (Augustus Strong's theology on election blew me out of the water).

Picked up and devoured that little paperback and examined every single verse, making my own diagrams and logical flow chart. Finally the doctrines of grace made sense.

(And I believe God gve me the faith to accept that teaching, just as He had implanted saving faith a few years earlier.)

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

So I take it that Dr. Bob is the only one willing to admit he has been influenced? :D

4. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Well, ok, if you insist [​IMG] We can't let Dr. Bob be one up on us now, can we?

When I was first given my junior sunday school class, I purchased Firm Foundations: Creation to Christ from New Tribes Missions on the recommendation of some missionary friends. There is a book included that is required reading by the one teaching the class. I was told before I bought the materials that just reading the required teachers book would change my life. Boy! Was that ever an understatement! Indeed, I came away a changed Christian! I had been saved for about 7 years or so when I first began to teach this, and I think I grew more, and received a greater understanding of mercy and grace, in thet short time it took to read the book than all the years I had been saved put together.

5. pawn raider

pawn raider Member

I would have to say "The Journals of Jim Elliot" was a great influence to me. It's shown me what it's like to be living completely for God.

6. Mikayehu

Mikayehu New Member

I don't know if this was the best book I've ever read, but it certainly has influenced my life the most. J. F. Thornbury wrote a book entitled "God Sent Revival: The story of Asahel Nettleton and the Second Great Awakening." It is a good biography (though probably not as insightful as Bennet Tyler's biography of Nettleton), but, more importantly it is an incredible commentary on the great change that has occurred since the early 1800's on what the ministry is all about (in this way it is similar to Iain Murray's "Revival and Revivalism"). I didn't realize how pragmatic we had become in our methods. We have swallowed Finney's methods and have paid severe consequences. Doctrine has been replaced by pragmatism. Anyway, this book took me through so many emotions, from peace to joy to anger to confusion. It gave me a reality check and solidified my theology.

7. Thomas

Thomas New Member

As one who was raised in a legalistic religion background, full of "inspired" books and prophetic wrightings, I made a concious decision, in 1993 to gain my Faith insight ONLY from the word of God. With that decision, I began a discipline of reading the Bible through, cover to cover, at least once each year. Not "piece meal" but cover to cover. I discovered that this precious book is much greater than the "sum of it's parts". For the past several years, I have been blessed to read it through twice each year. I have read it in six recognized translations. The Spirit will speak to you and guide you into truth, iIF you are willing to put away everything you thought you knew, and allow him to really lead you. It takes more than one or two readings before the messasge of the book becomes clear, but He is faithful and will lead you into "all things".

This is my favorite book. It comes in several different veresions. I love them all and respect them all.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd have to cast a couple of votes. One is for Liberating Ministry From the Success Syndrome by Kent Hughes. Great book that should be read by all pastors. Defines sucess as faithfulness according to the Bible, not the standards of man. I'd also recommend The Effective Pastor by Peter White. Outstanding resource for a pastor. Spurgeon's An All-Round Ministry has been vitally instrumental also.
    Devotionally, Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and Faith's Check Book are tremendously helpful devotionally for me. Aside from the Word of God which is utmost, these provide my hungry, thirsty soul with food and drink.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: TomVols ]

9. tlange

tlange New Member

Lectures to My Students by CH Spurgeon

10. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

There are two, cant decide between them.
    The Transforming Friendship by Weatherhead and Tracks of a Fellow Struggler by Claypool.

11. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

12. atestring

atestring New Member

The book that has had the most influenc on my life was wrtitten by Leonard Ravenhill entitled ;
    Why Revival Tarries?

13. dfd2

dfd2 New Member

Here are several books that have been an influence in my life:

1. The gospel According to Jesus by John
    MacArthur
    2. Power throuh Prayer by EM Bounds
    3. Memoirs and Remains of robert Murray
    McCheyne by Andrew Bonar
    4. Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson
    5. Works of Jonathan Edwards

Several others but dont want to bore you too much [​IMG]

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfd2:
    Here are several books that have been an influence in my life:

1. The gospel According to Jesus by John
    MacArthur
    2. Power throuh Prayer by EM Bounds
    3. Memoirs and Remains of robert Murray
    McCheyne by Andrew Bonar
    4. Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson
    5. Works of Jonathan Edwards

Several others but dont want to bore you too much [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't be boring. Your list looks good to me! Right up my alley. I love McCheyne especially.

15. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Desiring God, by John Piper is right up there.

16. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

**The God Who Is There, and He is There and He is Not Silent, both by Francis Scaeffer;
    **Ashamed of the Gospel, Charismatic Chaos, Our Sufficiency in Christ, Reckless Faith & Vanishing Conscience, all by John MacArthur;
    **Self Esteem & The War Within, by Jay Adams;
    **Morning & Evening devotional & many sermon books, by CH Spurgeon;
    **Trusting God Even When Life Hurts, by Jerry Bridges

...Just to begin with! :D

17. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Knowing God, J.I. Packer.
    Grace Unknown, R.C. Sproul.
    Let the Nations be Glad, John Piper.
    The Bible and the Future, Anthony Hoekema.
    The Last Days According to Jesus, R.C. Sproul.
    All of Grace, C.H. Spurgeon.
    Baptists and the Bible, L.Russ Bush and Tom Nettles.

18. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire...Fresh Power by Jim Cymbala

Ashamed of the Gospel by John MacArthur

Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson

19. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

What a tough decision, especially with all of the books i have read. How about these:

1.Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado;
    2.Every Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker;
    3.Jesus Freaks by VOM and DC Talk (gave me a heart for missions);
    4.the writings of William Butler Yeats.

Until Next Post, Adam

20. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

II Corinthians in the NIV application commentary by Scott Hafemann.

After years of struggling with the issue, I finally understood the relationship between faith and works. It was so incredibly and excitingly freeing!