1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What can a "disqualified" person do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StefanM, Sep 14, 2015.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is still related to the church, though.

What I have in mind is more of a person committing serious "private" sin, then genuinely repenting of it, and, having repented, wanting to serve God in some capacity.

The person who resists repentance is obviously another matter entirely.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under those conditions who would even know about it?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps just a handful of people. I meant "private" in the sense of not being public knowledge.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it should go no further so long as no further restitution was necessary. In the case of our treasurer he would need to walk away from those duties at least for a time. Of course we had to implement new policies so such things could never occur again.

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great point which mirrors the Lord having compassion on us because He took on the flesh of man.

God bless.

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is all too sad that the typical situation does not follow what these two posters understand should be basic conflict resolution.

ANY member of the assembly who is discovered or uncovered in an error, should be dealt with in a manner that resolution and restoration is the end game.

That most situations resolve to a flight / fight history is truly sad, and ultimately no one is edified.

7. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I cannot find anywhere in the Scripture that say a Pastor is disqualified for divorce. I do find that he is to be the husband of one wife. Paul was not only referring to polygamy, but divorce and then remarrying another woman as well. If Paul did not mean marrying another woman while your (divorced) wife is living then he would have said that the flavor of the day/month/year/decade (fill in as needed) is OK as long as the papers are filed correctly or some other nonsense.

It is not the sin that disqualifies anyone from being an Pastor or Elder, for God can and does forgive all sins when asked to do so.

These are boundaries or rules that God set up for His Church. It is natural for men to try to change these rules with rules that makes it easier for men, but that does not change the rules that God set. All it does is make men feel better and justify why men do not follow God's word. (After all God knows what He wants for His church). This is not about who is the best christian, those who follow God's Word and not man's word will find many blessings from God.

This was not set up to punish anyone, it was set up as guidelines for God's Church and His followers. I find that those who want to follow God's Word do their best to do so, those who want to follow man's word do so and then spend a lifetime trying to justify it.

There are many ways a "disqualified man" can serve God. I would suggest and pray that he ask God to show him how to serve him.

#47 John Toppass, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015