1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What can affect the brain?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 11, 2006.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey guys! Found you! LOL!! Had a busy day with our first day of homeschooling my son for 1st grade (it's my 10th year homeschooling). :saint: (LOL - I thought I deserved that today).

Anyway, what's interesting is that the ONLY 'proof' that the Bible is not allowing alcohol is the decision of the reader to make any positive Scriptures about alcohol mean 'juice' and any negative Scripture mean 'alcohol'. Strong drink is NEVER considered juice and it's spoken of positively many times. If wine can inebriate, it is alcoholic and wine is spoken of many times. I don't buy the 'it's a generic word meaning both alcohol and non-alcohol and we will make it one or the other depending on if it's good or not'. When wine makes a wineskin burst, it's alcoholic. When it can make one glad, it's alcoholic. When it can cleanse a wound, it's alcoholic. When it's the 'best' at a wedding, it's alcoholic. When it's served months after the harvest, it's alcoholic.

I think there are plenty of proofs in Scripture that is plain for my 5 year old to see - yet there are many who are blinded by their own agendas. I agree that alcohol is a liberty that we need to be awfully cautious with, and many of us would do better to abstain but to ascribe the title 'sin' to an object like alcohol is wrong - even God didn't do that. The fact that Jesus Himself told us "What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean." yet there are those here who are calling Jesus a liar. That's pretty strong, IMO.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I’m happy to show you.

Actually it is there. Jesus says it Himself.

Um… You couldn’t even wait for me to present evidence before you accuse me of lying and saying evil against Jesus!

W o w .

That demonstrates how closed you are to receiving a new perspective.

Frankly, I’m afraid I might harden you to scripture if you really have the extremely-closed condemning attitude that’s coming through your posts.

But here goes…

John “the Baptist” was not to drink wine or liquor because of his specific ministry.

Luke 1:13-15

13 But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John.

14 "You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.

15 "For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb.

Then Jesus says these words during His ministry:

Matthew 11:18-20
    18 "For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon!'

Obviously, Jesus is referring to the fact that John did not attend feasts or drink “wine or liquor.”

Then Jesus says this about Himself:

19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking,

Clearly, Jesus did attend the feasts of sinners and did consume wine or liquor.

And just in case we want to try any tricks of interpretation, Jesus continues His thought and confirms the plain meaning of this passage:

and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'"

Because Jesus ate with sinners, they called Him a “gluttonous man.” Because He drank wine or liquor, they claimed He was a drunkard.

The Pharisees would not have made these charges unless they had determined that He might be ‘vulnerable’ to this criticism in the eyes of His followers and potential followers. They claimed He was a friend of those who were hated in their society, the “tax collectors and sinners,” which of course, He was.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This passage is Jesus explaining to His deciples about eating with unwashen hands which was against the Moses Law. It certainly was not giving the ok to drink acohol,
    as is being used on this thread.

Then there come to Jesus from Jerusalem Pharisees and scribes, saying, 2Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. 3And he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4For God said, Honor thy father and thy mother: and, He that speaketh evil of father or mother, let him die the death. 5But ye say, whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, That wherewith thou mightest have been profited by me is given to God; 6he shall not honor his father. And ye have made void the word of God because of your tradition. 7Ye hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
    8This people honoreth me with their lips;
    But their heart is far from me.
    9But in vain do they worship me,
    Teaching as their doctrines the precepts of men.
    And he called to him the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man; but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man. 12Then came the disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, when they heard this saying? 13But he answered and said, Every plant which my heavenly Father planted not, shall be rooted up. 14Let them alone: they are blind guides. And if the blind guide the blind, both shall fall into a pit. 15And Peter answered and said unto him, Declare unto us the parable. 16And he said, Are ye also even yet without understanding? 17Perceive ye not, that whatsoever goeth into the mouth passeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? 18But the things which proceed out of the mouth come forth out of the heart; and they defile the man. 19For out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, railings: 20these are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not the man.

4. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

1 Corinthians 2:14 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But then it says "Perceive ye not, that whatsoever goeth into the mouth passeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But the things which proceed out of the mouth come forth out of the heart; and they defile the man."

What does 'whatsoever' mean? Everything BUT alcohol?? Where is the exception written??

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yep, with "unwashen hands".

7. Diggin in da Word

Jesus said in that passage that He came eating and drinking, but He did not say it was alcoholic. As explained before, He stated 'But wisdom is justified of her children.'

Christ was saying 'you accused John falsoely, You also accuse me falsely. But my Children know I could never go against my Father's will.

God's Word tells us kings could not drink alcohol, else they pervert the law and err in judgment. Jesus is and always was the King of kings. He could not have drank alcohol. Quit lying about the Lord Jesus Christ.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There must be a lot of drinkers in Baptist churches every Sunday because only about ten percent ever leads one person to Christ in an entire lifetime and fewer disciple anyone.

#68 gb93433, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't you Christians know anything, of course it's not the salt that numbs the brain. It's the Tequila in the Margarita, now that numbs the brain!

Do I have to teach you guys everything? Who ever heard of getting numb brain on salt??? :BangHead: :BangHead:

10. His Blood Spoke My Name

Jesus, as king could not drink alcohol. And anyone who would accuse Him of such is guilty in the same manner of the Pharisees of a lying tongue.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus never said to use a flush toilet or drive a car.

Your parents ever tell you to use a flush toilet? So I guess according to your reasoning your parents never used a flush toilet.

#71 gb93433, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Is it ok to use Charmin?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope, only Angel Soft.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

But, I want to squeeze it!!!

15. His Blood Spoke My Name

Proverbs 31:4,5 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

16. standingfirminChrist

It is an evil heart that would accuse the Lord of going against His Father's Will, for Jesus Himself said He came to do the Father's Will.

Jesus would not have drank alcoholic beverages or He woudl have gone against the Father's command.

Pr 31:4 It is notforkings, O Lemuel, it is notforkings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
    Pr 31:5
    Lestthey drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

The Lord could not have drank fermented wine or He would have gone against these verses.

#76 standingfirminChrist, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now read verses 6 and 7 of that same Psalm.

18. standingfirminChrist

This was not speaking of giving God's people alcohol, but rather, alcohol was given to criminals when they were put to death. This is why we see the Roman's offering wine vinegar to Jesus on the cross.

19. Diggin in da Word

Chamber's Cyclopedia 6th edition (1750)"Sweet wine is that which has not yet fermented."

Captain Treat, in 1845, Dr. Lee's Works"When on the south coast of Italy last Christmas, I enquired particularly about the wines in common use, and found that those esteemed the best were sweet and unintoxicating...The Calabrians keeps their intoxicating and unintoxicating wines in separate apartments...I found that the unfermented wines were esteemed the most. Great pains were taken in the vintage season to have a good stock of it laid by."

Aristotle said of sweet wine, that it would not intoxicate.

Homer, in the OdysseyUlysses took in his boat "goat-skin of sweet black wine, a divine drink, which Marion, the priest of Apollo, had given him - it was sweet honey - it was imperishable, or would keep forever; that when it was drunk, it was diluted with twenty parts water, and that from it a sweet and divine odour exhaled."

Platutus, BC 200Even mustum signified both wine and sweet wine.

Hippocrates"Sweet kinds of wines do not make the head heavy."

Polybius"Among the Romans the women were allowed to drink wine which...very much resembled sweet wine, and which men use for the purpose of allaying excessive thirst."

Dr. Ure, Dictionary of Arts"Juice when newly expressed, and before it has begun to ferment, is called 'must', and in common language 'new wine'."

Charles Anthon, LL.D., Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, article Vinum"The sweet unfermented juice of the grape was termed gleukos."

Mandelso, (c. 1640), speaking of palm wine"To get out the juice, they go to the top of the tree, where they make an incision in the bark, and fasten it under an earthen pot, which they leave there all night, in which time it is filled with a certain sweet liquor very pleasant to the taste. They get out some also in the daytime, but that (owing to the great heat) corrupts immediately; it is good only for vinegar."

Augustine Calmet, Dictionary of the Bible, (born 1672)"The ancients possessed the secret of preserving wines sweet throughout the whole year."

Parkinson, Theatrum Botanicum"The juice or liquor pressed out of the ripe grapes is called vinum (wine)."

Pliny, when speaking of a wine called Aigleuces that is always sweet"That wine is produced by care. They plunge the casks, immediately after they are filled from the vat, into the water, until winter is passed away and the wine has acquired the habit of being cold." Being kept below 45F, the gluten settled to the bottom, thus fermentation was prevented."

Littleton, Latin Dictionary (1678)"Must, new wine, close shut up and not permitted to work."

#79 Diggin in da Word, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 9

1 Wisdom has built her house; She has hewn out her seven pillars;
    2 She has prepared her food, she has mixed her wine; She has also set her table;
    3 She has sent out her maidens, she calls; From the tops of the heights of the city:
    4 "Whoever is naive, let him turn in here!"; To him who lacks understanding she says,
    5 "Come, eat of my food; And drink of the wine I have mixed.
    6 "Forsake your folly and live; And proceed in the way of understanding."