1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What can affect the brain?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 11, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With all respect, I was not attempting to razz, per se. This is my first foray onto this thread, so I was starting from scratch, and commenting as I came to them.

Ed.

#101 EdSutton, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'd say that that could probably affect the brain.

Ed

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you weren't attempting to razz...you were just attempting to be rude? I guess that's better, then :rolleyes:

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am overweight, but not to the extreme. I am in the process of losing weight as this time.

And that's not realistic at all.

A number of years ago I worked very hard to reduce my weight to the so-called ideal level through an extremely strict diet and about five hours a day of light to intense cardio exercise. (I was a professional bodyguard for two children at the time, so my job gave me ample opportunity to train for extended periods of time.) I was able to get my weight down to 225 pounds, but I couldn't maintain it. During that time I went to the doctor for a physical, and he told me that I was somewhat underweight for my very large frame. An ideal weight for me would be somewhere around 240 to 250.

It is not good, but I'm not quite a ticking timebomb. But I do need to lose weight.

Actually, the very moderate use of alcohol thins the blood which greatly decreases the chance of a heart attack.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Negative! Just pointing out a couple of scientific facts. And getting in a couple of free laughs because someone opened a screen door on a submarine, or something like that.

Ed

6. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

7. Diggin in da Word

Question: Did you see the new submarine with a screen door?​
    Answer: Don't laugh, it keeps the fish out.​

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As to the title of this thread, how about reading over ten pages of posts on it? :rolleyes: Might that affect the brain? I suggest it could.

As to the title of this thread, how about seeing some two thirds of this broad category 'hijacked' into a 'warmed over' debate about alcohol? :BangHead: Might that affect the brain? I suggest it could.

As to the title of this thread, how about I suggest one thing that has not been mentioned? Blood sugar levels. Might that affect the brain? I assure you that that can, as I am a Type II diabetic, undiagnosed for many years because my levels were not high enough to cause obvious problems and did quite a bit of damage before it was detected. Getting that under control has made a big difference. :thumbsup:

Ed

#108 EdSutton, Sep 12, 2006
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I like that! :thumbsup: Even though the mods will probably Kayo it due to size! :tear:

Ed

10. Diggin in da Word

Maybe so. but it is funny.

11. Diggin in da Word

"Just a quick question. Something I cannot seem to understand here. I know the Word tells us we should not use strong drink, and I believe that Jesus didn't even make wine with alcohol, but what is Deut. 14:26 talking about? It seems as though God is giving the ok for strong drink, even though it is denounced other places in the scriptures...De 14:26
    'And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household...' If you could help me understand this, I would appreciate it." (Bro. David)

ANSWER: In regard to your question, this comes from the misunderstanding concerning the phrase "strong drink." We naturally think of "strong" as applying to the BITTER taste of fermentation, as in "whiskey" etc. However, "strong drink" can actually be fermented OR unfermented (and is used in both contexts, like the word "wine"), since the "strong" does not refer to the BITTERNESS of alcohol, but to the RICH FLAVOR of the substance. Notice:

Isaiah 24:9 They shall not drink wine with a song; STRONG DRINK SHALL BE BITTER to them that drink it.
    12 In the city is left desolation, and the gate is smitten with destruction.

In this verse, God is saying that because they are JUDGED, the "strong drink" will be "bitter." This shows that it is not ordinarily bitter. It actually refers to the RICHNESS of the drink. You will find somewhat the same language today. A liquid is "weak" when it has been mixed with a lot of water. Thus, in the grocery store, many will buy what they think is "juice," but it is actually colored water with high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavoring, and maybe a wee little bit of real juice. Naturally, they sell this "weak" stuff really cheap. However, at a health food store you will find the "strong drink." It is "strong" because it is 100% pure juice, with no added water. It will have sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The "strong" refers to the richness of the taste and flavor. This strong drink, even in our day sometimes contains alcohol (as in orange juice and vodka, etc.). But it Deuteronomy 14, it is referring to some rich, non-alcoholic substance that will bring true joy and health to the body. It is not "raging," and it does not bite as a serpent!

http://www.kingdombaptist.org/strongdrink.cfm

12. Diggin in da Word

Found an interesting point on that site in the Is Wine Healthy section.

The author pointed out that God'y women will not drink wine. Reference 1Samuel 1:15,16

Eli had accused Hannah of being drunken and her answer was:

It was the ungodly followers of Belial who drank fermented wine, not God's Children.

More proof alcoholic beverage is not permitted in the life of a believer.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Umm - as far as I read, it means that she didn't have wine or strong drink but that she was instead crying out to God - not that she NEVER drank wine or strong drink.

14. Diggin in da Word

ann,

she told Eli the reason she could not be drunken or have even put wine to her lips...

She was not of the daughters of Belial.

Hannah reminded Eli that it was the daughters of Belial that drank fermented wine.

#114 Diggin in da Word, Sep 12, 2006
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sooooooooooo, thats why you frying the rats?:laugh: :laugh:

16. Diggin in da Word

who is frying rats? You lost me Bob...

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think he's got a concussion by now with all that head banging.....

18. Diggin in da Word

lol, ann.

Didn't you know? Bob is the official wall tester for the BB.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ann caught some mice in her house but instead of killing them like normal folks she took them to the power plant. I guess you know the rest. Called "Death Row". :laugh:

20. Diggin in da Word

It is amazing how one who claims to be of Christ will advocate that which is associated with Belial.