1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Can We Learn from Penn State?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

No it doesn't. That is over the top and unnecessary. There are plenty of safeguards out there rather than recording sessions.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Such as?????

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Recording of sessions is the way to go. The counselee is simply told up front of policy (or may already be aware). This may also include witnesses, dependent upon the situation at hand.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You maus know her better than I do. I have no clue about how competent she is. But she's already said that he was not a target.

Maybe PA will decide to save some face and indict Coach Paterno. I don't think they will... but I've been wrong before.

I certainly agree this is an outrage. JoePa still doesn't understand that he should have done more than the minimum required.

But there's lots in this situation that ought to make us ramp up our guidelines about this. I notice that that Dr. Mohler has changed the guidelines at Southern seminary concerning the responsibility to report. So there's probably some areas we need to inspect.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

When I said "he" I meant all the leaders of the school who knew of this and chose not to report the pedophile to the appropriate authorities. For Joe to report it to his bosses and for all of them to decide to keep it internal in order to save face (aka Catholic Church) then all of them should be held accountable, IMO.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preventive measures are good, but I'd like to add something else. Have a back-up plan to help the victim in case something DOES happen. If something bad does happen, offer to pay for counseling for the victim OUTSIDE of church staff. Never, ever, get so secure in your preventive measures that you start to think "it can't/won't happen here." Always have a plan of action in case it DOES happen. Write it out now so it can be followed later if need be.