1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What changed?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by menageriekeeper, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main sticking point between the CBA and the GARBC in the 40s was the CBA allowed for an affiliation with the NBC. This had to do with the way pastors pensions were funded. The GARBC required clear separation from the convention.
    Not being a GARBC man, I don't know exactly why the organization has it in the title. But, the usage does date back to the 19th century. Hamilton Square Baptist's founding document (1881) states "We hold to the doctrines commonly held by the Regular Baptists."

As for books, Francis Wayland's Principles and Practices of Baptist Churches is a good contemporary account of Northern Baptists in the early and mid-1800s. Beal's In Pursuit of Purity deals with the period 189x-196x.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

One thing is evident about the SBC Conservative Resurgence. It would not have succeeded if the majority of Southern Baptists had not been conservative. Liberals and moderates had not captured the hearts of the SBC. It had captured the machinery. Once Judge Paul Pressler and the others had figured out how to re-capture the machinery for conservatives, it was just a matter of motivating the pastors and church members.

My own church SBC was, and is, quite conservative. We went through a period where Jack Hyles was as much a hero as Adrian Rogers. Our SBC church was practically indistinguishable from an IFB church. Our romance with Independent Fundamentalism faded with the arrival of a pastor who was an Evangelical Calvinist, and a historical Pre-Mil. Around the same time, the Conservative Resurgence got underway.

In my town, SBCers and iFBs get along reasonably well. My church exchanges letters with the Independent Baptist churches. There's not much to fight over any more.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Which is the way it should be.

4. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

It seems to me that mankind has always tended to the extremes. The SBC has swung from conservative to liberal & back to conservative. The Southern IFB's have swung toward legalism. Our government has certainly gone from one extreme to the other. What is the common factor? Humanity. Far too often, God's people follow whoever can make anything they say sound Biblical; never taking the Berean call to challenge everything we hear with Scripture. How else do you explain the extremes within our church groups & our "Hatfield & McCoy" Church history?