1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What constitutes a Baptist church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Momma always said "son you can think your are or you can know
    Yea there are 2 NJ's Northern & Southern.....further split it via Route 287 that goes North and South.......I live in the far NW portion (bordering PA)

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! i'm aware of North and South jersey, i lived there remember! I lived about 20 miles from philly....South Jersey...Swedesboro.

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Social gospel is making mega bucks in mega churches run by the unregenerated. Ordination papers are available, for a fee, along with pedigrees from mail order seminaries. Pews are filled with the unregenerated, looking for a warm and fuzzy feeling in a religion which conforms to their lifestyle. Definitive doctrine is hard to find.
    Church discipline is seldom practiced.

It is long past time to repent. God is judging and chastising-- approaching that of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Our redemption draws neigh.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding: Regenerate Immersed Church Membership
    The church I am a member of requires people seeking membership to give an account of their salvation experience. So, yes there may be people who slip through. We must rely on a person's statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are at least 2 Hrs away

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but I see church membership as being more than just having your name and photo in the Church Directory. I see the real membership role as something that is written down in heaven. We may allow a few, due to error, to get their names in the Directory but in the actual Roll kept in heaven the Lord, who can see the heart, does not make that error. :)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Of course, people do sometimes lie.:Unsure I'm curious, is there a way to follow up on the statement ......could you observe their actions and tell? Then, would you discipline them?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we were chosen since before the foundations of the earth.....So wouldn't it just be easier for God to just forward a list?!? :Smile

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we were chosen before the foundation of the world for salvation, not church membership.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying church membership isnt a part of your salvation? Then it isnt necessary? Oh Boy!

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If only this were true!
    In Britain huge numbers of churches within the Baptist Union (that's right! The one Spurgeon resigned from) have entirely defaulted from Biblical authority, and the B.U. does its level best to prevent churches from appointing Pastors that have not attended its own liberal theological colleges.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is right. We are not saved by joining a church. We are saved by the sacrifice of Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Bib sites that the church is the representation of gods kingdom on this earth. Ugh now I'm confused.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally. Something I can agree with. :)

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yea, lack of sound teaching can cause that. Now in an Orthodox Presbyterian Church that would have never happened. I look at 'the rabbit chaser' and wonder whatever happened to this guy...now I know. In short, If the Baptist Church no longer follows its own game plan to both recruit saved individuals and then actively train them to be disciples then what is their worth, what is their place on this earth?

And I say that out of great love for the Baptist Church. God saves, and the church is that beautiful gift given by God to preach that word which will set us free and when our Church is not doing that I grieve. But I also take heart in the example set by our Lord and Savior. See Jesus never preached Israel, He preached Yahweh. He preached the absolute transcendence of Yahweh and fidelity and obedience to Yahweh.....at the same time Jesus never put Israel down. Insofar as Israel was true to Gods covenant and true to the prophets, then Jesus was obedient to Israel....but He wasn't afraid to keep knocking at the door, inviting Israel to be true to itself. That is a great example, one that I try to emulate.

Still, "Come, Lord Jesus." Revelation 22:17

#55 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How hellish.....but of course the Welsh & Scots would never do that!

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who says it doesn't?

18. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Their process in this apostasy began in 1689 when they departed from their previous confession of faith and belief's in the associational minutes. Thank God much of the American Baptists left Britain during that period they called the "Great Tribulation" (1660-1688) before entering into that apostasy.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Yes, it is the visible representation of God's kingdom on earth. That is where you see the "keys OF THE KINGDOM" being administered. That is where you see the RULE of God manifested in obedience to His Word and ordinances.

However, being REPRESENTATIVE of the kingdom is not being EQUAL to the kingdom.

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What the church requires for membership defines what is the nature of the church. The church is not required to examine hearts before baptizing or receiving into membership. The church is therefore an EXTERNAL organization by nature as it requires only EXTERNAL evidences for membership which exercise EXTERNAL ordinances and EXTERNAL forms of worship (prayer, tithe and offerings, singing, etc.). It is only SPIRITUAL with regard to the nature of its work and commission as contrasted to SECULAR institutions. Preaching the word is a spiritual work. Administering the ordinances of Christ is a spiritual work. Singing and tithing are spiritual works. The membership requirements although external in nature are spiritual requirements rather than secular. Spiritual is that which has to do with Christ and His Word and work. It is not "spiritual" in the sense of invisible but in the sense of its divine work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.