1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What constitutes a pastor?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 27, 2001.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When you say pastor, do you mean:

1.) The person serving as a senior pastor or the position of senior pastor.

2.) The Youth pastor

3.) The Senior adult pastor

4.) The children's pastor

5.) Someone in the ministry who might look to the forum for discussion along these lines?

6.) none of the above

7.) some of the above

8.) All of the above

9.) Other _____________________

2. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Based on my exposure to pastors, the word PASTOR means the senior pastor if the church has lots of ministers and associate pastors. If the church is small like mind, PASTOR refers to the one whose name appears as pastor on our official correspondances.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Pastor usually refers to a man serving an official capacity of leadership, oversight, and care within the church. He is generally recognized by his church as such. A church can have more than one pastor but does not need to have more than one. When there is more than one pastor, there is a senior pastor who is the head of the others.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Simple answer to a simple question. Is the person addressed as "Pastor?" If so, he is a pastor, if not, then he is not a pastor.

5. Pastor_Don_Kirk

Pastor_Don_Kirk New Member

I can shed some different light. I am the Pastor of a former regular church, turned Street Ministry Church (We hold no regular meetings).

The people I talk to on the street call me pastor....... Then the twist. I attend a church, which is not associated with my street ministry; except that I take the people I minister to, to attend THAT CHURCH. I'm just an attendee at that church, but the people I brought into that church call me Pastor; when they see me there.

I feel it's OK, under the circumstances; yet somewhat awkard, since I am not officially affiliated with that church (I belong to my church). The Pastors there know the situation and have not commented; but I'm sure they also feel some kind of aswardness as well. I especially feel awkward, when I bring in an alcoholic (to their church); and he / she gets somewhat loud, during church (it happened last Sunday). The Pastor preaching, asked the gentleman to please refrain from making out loud comments. The guy has one of those CARRYING voices.

Any comments?

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Pastor_Don_Kirk ]

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor_Don_Kirk:
    Any comments?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you asked ... I am not sure that a group holding "no regular meetings" can really be called a church. One of the distinctives of a church is "regular and stated meetings."

Secondly, I am not sure why you have a "ministry" that is not under the auspices and authority of a local church. The local church in the NT is God's institution for ministry and accountability. I would recommend talking to the pastor of the church you are now attending and, assuming that your desires fit in with the mission of the church, bring your ministry under the authority of the body of Christ.

Thirdly, since "pastor" is officially the term of the leader of the local church, since that is not you, I would encourage the people not to call you that. "Preacher" or some other such designation would be a much better designation for what you do and it would keep them from confusing it with something you do not do.

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]