1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What constitutes "corrupt" Bibles?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, May 8, 2015.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread,
    What is your clear definition of "Holy Bibles" and what is your clear definition of "corrupt Bibles" that you are willing to apply consistently and justly?

Do you claim that any Bible translation that has any imperfections or inaccurate renderings is "corrupt"?

On what consistent, just measures do you base your classifications?

What is your standard perfect original language Bible that you use for evaluating and trying Bible translations?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure if this thread is addressed specifically to one person or one group of folks, i.e. KJVO advocates, or was intended for a broader audience.

I think "holy" carries with it the idea of being separate from uninspired texts, and thus a claim of presenting God's Word as accurately as possible.

My bible (NASB95) says "Study Bible" on the title page. I have a hard cover NIV on my book shelf that is titled "Holy Bible."

I think it is fair to say all English translations have errors which could be called corruptions, and so our effort is to pick those with fewer corruptions over those who wander far afield.

Next because they do not share all the same corruptions, by comparing versions, we can identify outliers, and end up with a hybrid translation that may be less corrupted than some of the available translations.

My standard for a "perfect" bible would be the original autographs that contain the actual words inspired by God. But since I know next to nothing about Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, I rely on the Critical Text as translated by the NASB95 as the gold standard for the place to start.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They that would the mistaken belief that the TR text was inspired by God, while the texts behind the modern versions were all intentionally messed with!