1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What day did Christ Die?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Apr 15, 2011.

?

What day did Christ die?

Poll closed May 15, 2011.
  1. WED

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. THURS

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. FRI

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  4. SAT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. He did not die

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What evidence is there, apart from someone stating it to be so, that the Jew would call a day today and tomorrow at the same time?

I provided the evidence, from several scriptures. You seen unwilling to face that Jesus himself referred to the third day as the day after tomorrow. How can it be the third day before the third day is over? Answer, it can be the third day during the day, so after three days could be during the third day.

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Can someone check this out I found it in an article.

But I believe one could go to a concordence and I can't get to mine for a week.

Notice the quotes thta means it cut and pasted from somewhere else:

"The book of Genesis gives us part of the answer. Reading about the first day of creation, we find "day" and "night" defined: "God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day" (Genesis 1:5). The word used here for "day" comes from the Hebrew word yowm, meaning "to be hot"—for the hours when the sun is up. The word for "night"—layil—comes from a Hebrew word meaning "away of the light," or the hours when the sun is down and it is dark (See Strong's Dictionary).

Significantly, when describing Jonah's ordeal in the belly of the fish, the book of Jonah uses the exact same words for day and night that are used in Genesis 1:5. "Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days [yowm] and three nights [layil]" (Jonah 1:17)."

Now I have seen the word "yom" used for day and it has the menaing of "a day", A part of a day" or even "a long period of time". I even checked with aJewish acquaintance on "yom" and had the same response for that word.

But is "yowm" and "yom" the same?

There is a significance in the words used.

3. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It really could have been a bad—vote---lol—& that’s what I’d get for drive by posting & voting---;)---I honestly haven’t studied it in detail in a while, but we did have a rabbi come in & explain to us why Friday was the correct day based on Jewish timing—but that was a few years back & I can’t remember all that was said---when I get a chance I’ll read all that was posted & the sites you linked---I’m just taking quick breaks in between studying for tomorrow, but I'm interested in seeing why the objections to Friday are so adamant!

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

same word just spelled different. One is the Transliterated Word and the other is the Phonetic Spelling and should be "yome"
    http://www.studylight.org/lex/heb/view.cgi?number=03117

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Thank you.

And Yome can mean a full day, a part of a day, a long length of time etc...

However the word for night doesn't so the three full nights apply. That would work for Thursday if you say He rose on the 3rd day.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Though I advanced the idea of Wednesday, I tend to believe Jesus was crucified on Thursday afternoon, and was placed in his tomb before sunset. Thus you have the first day, not a full day, but partial. Then you have Friday night and day, then Saturday night and day, then Sunday night, Jesus rising just before dawn.

I like this theory because the scriptures are almost always given in order, and this would be day, night, day, night, day, night, three days and three nights as Jesus said.

So I vote for Thursday as the day the Lord was crucified.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

yes the word can mean all those things but only depending on what qualifies it.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let me ask you a question. What day did He rise from the dead if Thursday was the day of crucifixion?

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

And in the Jonah passage there are no qualifiers. So it menas day.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This verses also need to be taken in account. KJV Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

They bought spices after a sabbath. then

Luke 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

They prepared them and rested a sabbath.

That means there was a regular work day between two sabbath days.

#50 percho, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes there is a qualifier when it says three days and three nights it has to cover three 24 hour days.Jonah 1:17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. and matt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
    The reason we know it is 24 hours is because of what the Lord says in john 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.

So if a day is 12 hours then a day and a night is 24 hours and since the Lord said he would be in the earth 3 days and three nights it means 72 hours.
    So not only was Jonas in the belly of the sea monster 72 hours so was the Lord in the earth 72 hours as when there is a qualifier like this it means 24 hours.
    Not only that the Lord said He would rise after three days not on the third day. So it all fits to a Wednesday crucifixion and a late Saturday resurrection. it could not possible be a Friday crucifixion and a Sunday resurrection or a Thursday crucifixion and a Sunday Resurrection because there is not enough time to get it all in and we have shown that it has to be 3 24 hour days based on scripture.
    Now I admit that some what to try and use what they call tradition over scripture, but I choose scripture. There is just no other way if you back things up to when he did what we call the triumphant entry and when he was at Mary's and Martha's home.
    For anyone who wants to know the links back in post #36 to the article I gave makes it all clear and without question as it brings every scripture into harmony with every other scripture.

#51 freeatlast, Apr 16, 2011
  12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I don't get your point.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at a good Jewish calendar. The only year that even comes close to fitting the biblical chronology is 31AD. In 31AD the Preparation Day for the Feast of the Passover fell on Wednesday, Nisan 14. The next day, Thursday, Nisan 15, was the First Day of Passover and therefore a Special Sabbath not the normal weekly Sabbath. This is confirmed by John 19:31, "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away."

You can speculate all you want about the meaning of words but the fact remains that a good Jewish calendar will go a long way in dispelling your confusion.

Chronology:

1. Wednesday, Nisan 14. Preparation Day. Christ crucified.
    2. Thursday, Nisan15. First Day of Passover, a High Holy Day, IE special sabbath.
    3. Friday, Nisan 16. Normal work day. The ladies went to the market to buy the spices to wrap His body.
    4. Saturday, Nisan 17. Weekly Sabbath. The ladies could not complete the burial process due to the weekly sabbath.
    5. Sunday, Nisan 18. Ladies arrived prior to sunup and He was already gone. Arose after sundown which was the beginning of the first day of the week, after being in the grave for three days and three nights just like the bible says.

#53 TCassidy, Apr 16, 2011
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It confirms Wednesday over Thursday for the death. Died Wednesday, Thursday was a sabbath holy day and no work was done Friday was a regular day and the women went bought spices went home prepared them then rested the Saturday which was the weekly sabbath. Then early on the first day took the spices to the tomb but course he was gone. Had been for some time.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the clarification.

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

One thing you missed the unleavened bread feast was 15 Nisan which would have been the high sabbath, 14 nissan was the passaover and the 13th would have been the day the lamb was killed. 33 A.D. Jewish calender shows this perfectly. Wednesday the 13 Nisan 33 A.D. started on what is our Tuesday evening at 6:00 ended Wednesday at 6:00. This would have been the prepartion day. Notice "John 19: 14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!" So Wednesday evening would have begun the Passover. The evening of His crucifixion they went to the upper room where they planned to have passover, never does it say they ate the passover meal. Here is John 13:1 "Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end."
    verse 2 "And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;"
    John goes from saying before the feast of passover to saying hey were eating supper, not the feast. Matthew 26: 26 "And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body." As they were eating, again no mention of eating the passover. Mark 14:12 "And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?" Matthew states the beginning of unleavened bread, the feast itself was on the 15th so the preparation for the two began on the 13th. Mark 14: 18 "And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me." 22 "And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body."
    Again no mention of eating the passover meal, they ate.
    Luke 22: 15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

He desires to eat it but did he, seems by all the other passages He didn't get to eat it.

His human desire wanted to but as the other passages show he didn't.

16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

He tells them He will not be able to eat it.

19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Notice He took bread but the passover feast was a Lamb.

20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

So all this was taking place on the 13th our Tuesday night their Wednesday. Then Pilate examines the Lamb and finds it worthy. He found no fault.

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but you need to look at the Jewish calendar again. Nisan 13 fell on Thursday in 33AD. Your timetable has Him rising from the dead on Monday!

Again, look at 31AD.

Nisan 14 = Preparation Day, Lambs slain.
    Nisan 15 = First day of Passover, High Sabbath Day.
    Nisan 16 = Women shopped for spices etc.
    Nisan 17 = Weekly Sabbath. Woman stayed home.
    Nisan 18 = Women arrived before dawn and Christ was already risen.