1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What day of the week was the crucifiction?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Oct 9, 2006.

1. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    kmichael,

What do you think of Pilgrimer's contention that the crucifixion took place on the 15th?

2. kmichael

kmichael New Member

On the High Passover Sabbath?

No, not even Ciaphas would have sanctioned that. The body had to be in the grave before Sunset the 14th. They could not have crucified him after sunset the 15th, it would have been too dark. Plus, Friday was the preparation day for the weekly Sabbath. There was too much to do to prepare. If we accually prepared for worship today like we should, we would understand this. :)

Jewish life was built around the Sabbath days, even in the 1st century. Rigidity was the key. For ALL Jews.

:jesus:

#122 kmichael, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  3. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    kmichael,

How do you respond to Pilgrimer’s position that because the Messiah ate the passover (Luke 22:15) that the crucifixion could not have occurred on the 14th since that would have been before the sacrifice of the animals in the late afternoon?

4. antiaging

antiaging New Member

It happened on a Wednesday and not a Friday. He was taken off the cross before the sabbath began, but the sabbath that is refered to is the Sabbath of the passover feast, which was on a Thursday. [It says that Sabbath was an high day. It was not the usual sabbath of the end of the week.] Jewish days began at 6:00 pm. The Sabbath of the passover feast began at 6:00 pm on Wednesday of that week. He died on the cross around 3:00pm on Wednesday and was taken off the cross by around 6:00pm on Wednesday. He was in the grave by Wednesday night sometime. Three days in the grave would have ended around Saturday night or early Sunday morning. (The first day of the week began Saturday at 6:00 pm.)
    Three days in the grave as the scriptures say; Wednesday night to Saturday night.
    The catholic church misunderstood the scriptures and thought that the sabbath mentioned was the normal sabbath of the end of the week. That is why they think Jesus was crucified on a Friday. They are incorrect. No matter how you count it, there cannot be three days from Friday to Sunday. The scriptures plainly state he would be in the the grave three days.
    The passover feast had a day of rest. In Jewish feast days, any day of rest is called a sabbath, just like the sabbath of rest at the end of the week. The passover high day sabbath spoken of in the scriptures that is associated with the death of Jesus happened on a Thursday.
    There is no good friday. It should be good Wednesday.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
    3 days: Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    3 nights: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

So, it happened on Good Wednesday, AD 31.
    Several proofs Jesus was born in 2 BC at this website:
    http://144000.net/birth.htm

5. kmichael

kmichael New Member

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. Actually, my answer is, I don't know. my brain is a tad fried from last minute papers and finals preparation. Without doing some research, I would say that I do not see the issue here.
    It would appear that Jesus and the 12 ate the Passover early.

I have 5 different translations out in front of me and each has a different opinion (based on the headings). Each and every theory seems to have a flaw. Someday I might do some deeper research into it. For now, I will yield to whoever feels the most dogmatic. :)

k

#125 kmichael, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board. :wavey:

I'll be back on this thread, later, but probably not this PM or tomorrow.

However, I notice that you are not a member of a Baptist Church, not that I particularly care, personally.

But one of the things you have agreed to is to not post in the "Baptist Only" Sections. Please abide by this, and save yourself some unnecessary grief. You may post anywhere else, per the Baptist Board rules, including starting your own thread on this subject in the "All Other Denominations" sections.

If you feel this is important enough, I urge you to do exactly that. Hang around. I'll be posting.

Ed

#126 EdSutton, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007