1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What denomination would you be?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Dec 14, 2006.

?
  1. Assembly of God

8.2%
  2. Baptist

14.8%
  3. Catholic or Orthodox

8.2%
  4. Church of Christ

1.6%
  5. Episcopal or Anglican

9.8%
  6. Lutheran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Methodist

6.6%
  8. Presbyterian or Reformed

23.0%
  9. A denomination not listed

23.0%
  10. I would stay at home instead

4.9%
  1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Anything Reformed and conservative. There are 4 Presby churches in my area ,one of which I attend, too many baptist churches to name, too many pentecostal ones too, about 3 Methodist churches, one Lutheran (MS), a Church of the Nazarine (mennonites i guess), a Church of Christ (Campbellites), a few Catholic churches, and for kicks a small Jewish synagogue(sp), and an even smaller muslim mosque. Oh yeah, an SDA church where i never see any one ever, i don't know if it's in use. A Morman church, also a Jehovah's Witness church .Ummm...a Bible church, and a host of non-denominational churches. I think that's it. There is also a Wesleyan-Arminian holiness church who use a side building of a baptist church since there church was destroyed in hurricane rita. if I couldn't go to any Reformed churches, I may go to the Lutheran church, but I don't know. There may be an Anglican/Episcopal church too, so this town has plenty of churches.

#21 Dustin, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  2. Dustin

Dustin New Member

They have the AoG, trinitarians, and the United Pentecostals - "Jesus Only", they don't believe in the Trinity. Many other groups but I think that's the main two. There's also charismatic calvinists too.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow -- a lot of churches. In my town, we only have five churches -- one Methodist church, two Presbyterian churches, one Lutheran church and one Catholic church (the largest) - no Baptist, Bible, AoG, etc. We also have three synagouges (one larger than the Catholic church).

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Seventh-day Baptist
    Southern Baptist ( I have been a Sunday School member several times even while still attending Adventist church)

Seventh-day Church of God
    Church of God Seventh-day

My preference however would be Trinitarian, Pre-Mill, free will, full water baptism of beilevers, and honoring Christ the Creator's memorial of Creation, fully accepting the Commandments of God as the NT states the saints doing.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Glory~To~God

Glory~To~God New Member

If I couldn't attend a Baptist church, I would stay home. There are too many false teachers among the other denominations.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Really?? You would stay at home rather than worship with another body of believers? How is that Biblical?

I guess the Baptists are the only ones without any false teachers??

7. Dustin

Dustin New Member

What if Fred Phelps had an opening?

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I attend an IFB church and if I couldn't go there anymore, I would either go to the SBC church or the NBC, but I'm sure I would stay with Baptist doctrines.

9. Daughter

Daughter New Member

AoG is a pentecostal denomination.

As for me... not sure. Like someone said, the label may not be the key but the individual assembly of believers. That said, I'd probably go non-denominational or Baptist, though not sure which of the many varieties!

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I am Primitive Baptist.

If I wasn't Primitive Baptist, I would be ashamed.

However, for the sake of this poll, I would be either an Old Regular Baptist, of the salvation by grace alone stripe, or a Sovereign Grace Baptist.

If there were absolutely no Baptist churches in existence, I could probably tolerate a very conservative Presbyterian church, no women elders, etc.

In reality, if there were no Primitive Baptist churches in my area, I would either drive to where there were PBs, move, or stay at home.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which baptist doctrines would you stay with?

In Christ,

Bob

13. Bro. James Reed

Didn't mean to sound demeaning or anything, but I know that I do not agree with Presbyterians on many issues. My best friend is a Presbyterian, so I do know a little about the church.

In fact, the only reason I would pick Presbyterian over other "mainstream" religions is because of the doctrines of grace. That carries a lot of weight with me.

No offense to you or other Presbys, but as far as Protestant/Catholic-type churches go, Presbyterian is probably the "closest" to what I believe, however far away it is from my beliefs.

Again, this is a response given a hypothetical situation in which there were no such things as Baptist churches, and I had to pick some religion from mainstream America.

In a real life situation, I will always be a Primitive Baptist and go to a Primitive Baptist church. Why? Because I don't see the point in going to a church where I do not believe the truth is being preached. If I can't go to a Primitive Baptist church, I will either start one, move nearer to one, drive to one periodically, if not every Sunday, or stay home and worship privately.

I have found a home, and I'm not looking for another.

14. Bro. James Reed

That's a good question.

I would just about guarantee that my Baptist doctrines are lightyears away from the Baptist doctrines of almost all others on the BB.

Even with General Baptist and Particular Baptist doctrines, you've got polar opposite doctrines within the Baptist circle.

15. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

What denominations stand for and what actual members of that denomination believe are not always the same. I wouldn't go to a United Methodist church if it happened to be one where a lot of the men were Masons, as is often the case.

16. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

These votes normally have something lacking, like.........

SBC is not protestant
    SBC is not a denomination

How are we poor, left-out SBCers supposed to respond?

Anway .. I'll go with First Church of the Nazarene under "Other".

:tongue3:

17. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I thought the SBC was a denomination, or am I missing something.

18. Dustin

Dustin New Member

If I did have to attend a baptist church, I'd prolly most likely go to a particular Baptist or Primitive Baptist church. The only thing different would be church government for me, because I'm not exclusively credo or paedo on baptism. I don't wanna open that can 'o worms. I know of some certain Presby churches, (Free Presbyterians) who are exclusively credo. That's just one of the issues I haven't gotten to get in depth about yet.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very true - So what is meant by "yes but I would stick with my Baptist doctrines"??

20. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Due to the space requirements, I included all "Baptists" together, though I realize that there are significant differences within each group. Personally, I could probably attend a reformed SBC church, but not an IFB one.