1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What denomination would you be?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Dec 14, 2006.

?
  1. Assembly of God

8.2%
  2. Baptist

14.8%
  3. Catholic or Orthodox

8.2%
  4. Church of Christ

1.6%
  5. Episcopal or Anglican

9.8%
  6. Lutheran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Methodist

6.6%
  8. Presbyterian or Reformed

23.0%
  9. A denomination not listed

23.0%
  10. I would stay at home instead

4.9%
  1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

It means exactly that.

Baptists being the autonomous bunch that we are, hold to doctrines all over the radar screen.

As for my Baptist doctrines, I would say those things laid out in our articles of faith, the TULIP doctrine, Baptism, Lord's Supper, Foot washing, basically things that are typically associated with what most people term hyper-calvinist beliefs.

The Particular Baptist view of atonement is a must.

What strikes me as somewhat odd is that this view is often referred to today as Hyper-calvinism, and held to by a smaller percent of Baptists in America, even though the majority of Baptists in America are descended from Particular Baptist roots, including the SBC, which held that only the ones who could go to heaven were the chosen elect family of God. How times change.

2. Bro. James Reed

whoops......

#42 Bro. James Reed, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  3. Bro. James Reed

whoops again...my computer went nuts there for a minute.

#43 Bro. James Reed, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    I would stay with my 'Dopper'-brothers, despite my BIG differences with them on the Sabbath and baptism (I don't believe in Sunday - I believe the Sabbath; and I don't believe in water-baptism; I believe in the baptism of Christ with the Spirit (of regeneration) and fire of trying).
    I would stay with them because that is where almost all of us who share these differences with our Church have come from, and because our fellow-believers still love us and accept us unconditionally despite our differences.

Let me assure you though that had our differences with to do with the basic doctrines of Calvinism, we would not have been tolerated, which is further reason why I would rather stay with my Calvinist-friends.
    I thank God for them, even though we never share a service because of Sunday. We have other bonds of love and happiness and content, deep roots of peace and assurance, unseen, but real and constantly inspiring and strengthening hope and faith.

5. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

If I had to...Brethren.

6. amity

amity New Member

Tough decision! I used to attend other types of baptist churches when I travelled. That got very disturbing sometimes as the order of worship was oftentimes so different (I attend Primitive Baptist usually), in addition to the theology usually being very different. Then I decided to go to Church of Christ because they at least worship similarly to the way we do (no instruments, in particular, plus a generally simple service with no real liturgy). The doctrinal differences tend to just "be interesting" if it is just for a single Sunday, and not as deeply upsetting as a piano, or even a 20-piece orchestra like I have sometimes seen at baptist churches!

If I really had to find a church of another denomination for the long-term (which I may have to fairly soon, as I am thinking about going overseas) then I would choose Presbyterian or other predestinarian church and just wince inwardly at the liturgy, I suppose.

#46 amity, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which denomination does Jesus belong to?

1 Cor 1:12-17 clearly prohibit saying I belong to Apollos or to Paul, which disapproves any denominations among the believers.

Of course, if the denominations have already happened and are unavoidable, I would defend it is a kind of diversity and liberty, against the oppressed unity of RCC. But it would be the best if we, the believers, can gather together only in the name of Jesus Christ who gave Himself for us as no one else died for us, neither Wesley, nor Luther nor Calvin, and we cannot find any Roman Presbyterian Church, Corinth Methodist Church, Ephesus Baptist church in the Bible.

So-called Plymouth Brethren do not call themselves as PB, but outsiders call them as such. They just name their churches by adding "Chapel" "Gospel Hall" or "Assembly" " Church" to the local area name. They have no head quarters because they believe their HQ is in Heaven and the Chairman of the Board is Jesus Christ.

But God has preserved them quite well and they are well spread throughout the world over 190 countries since it started from 1827 in Ireland/England, and they had the communication with the Believers in Communist Russia during the USSR era, and these days we still have many believers inside China, Tibet, in North Korea, in Kuwait and Iraq, and even in Saudi Arabia. We still have connections with them in Saudi Arabia, can you believe this? We do have many representations in Zambia, Ghana, and in Sahara desert. If you travel all around the world, you can check whether there is a church called Brethen.

We( so-called PB's) are not different from the fundamental Baptists but may be a little more strict than they are.
    We practice Believers Baptism after hearing the testimony of salvation and interview, weekly Lord Supper, NO pastor, No clergy, Women's head covering or hats, No distinction of Clergy and Lay person calling all as Brothers and Sisters as Jesus taught us ( Mt 23:8-11)

8. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

If I could not attend SBC in the states,

A non-denominational assembly which is

not word-faith,
    does not endorse tongue-talking,
    is trinitarian,
    normal or classic dispensational,
    is grace thru faith,
    water baptism not essential,
    does observe Lord's Supper periodically,
    no business meetings,
    has very simple services (no robes, no candles, no incense, no readings or rituals, no rehearsals),
    great congregational singing,
    only one pastor,
    several elders or deacons,
    weekly Bible study for all ages,
    community outreach program.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

You know what PB stands for dont you? PARTLY BAPTIST :laugh:

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I thought it stood for peanut butter. :confused:

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever they may be called!
    Throughout the history, the true christians were not called properly, their names were attached by outsiders, mostly to demean or defame them.

#51 Eliyahu, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If I couldnt attend an SBC church, I would attend a conservative presbyterian church. In ways, they are closer than some stripes of baptist.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So would I.

14. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow Claudia, you are making my day. I love to see God working in peoples lives.

15. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

I would attend a Gospel Standard Baptist Church.

:thumbs:

16. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Are you also on the Puritanboard?

17. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Ever consider Brethren? :tongue3:

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Famous Brethren show how God blessed them during the short period.

J N Darby( Bible translator and starter of Brethren movement), George Mueller( Father of Orphans), Robert Chapman, Sir Robert Anderson( Daniel's 70 weeks), James Deck ( Hymn Song writer), CH McINtosh( Pentateuch commentary), Hudson Taylor ( China Inland Missionary), David Livingstone (Africa), Eric Sauer ( Dawn of World Redemption, Germany), Harry Ironside, Joe Scrivener ( Hymn: What a friend we have in Jesus!),

In recent years, Arthur Farstad ( Translator for New King James Version), William McDonald ( writer for many books, still preaching at the age of 98).

What the Plymouth Brethren practice (though the basic fundamental doctrines are the same as majority of the Protestants such as Trinity, Creation, Church, etc, the practices are different, to follow NT church models)

- NO pastor, but elders ( plural) and deacons but all are to be called as Brothers and Sisters.
    - Believers Baptism by immersion
    - Weekly Lord supper
    - Women's head covering
    - Discipline
    - Open Pulpit

#58 Eliyahu, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  19. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

Yes I am, you?

20. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member