What did FDR mean about Constitution?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by church mouse guy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy
    Expand Collapse

At his last inaugural on Saturday, January 20, 1945, FDR made the following statement about the U.S. Constitution:

What do you think that he meant and why would he have made that statement during World War II? Do you agree or disagree with FDR? Why?

http://bartleby.com/124/pres52.html

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy
    Expand Collapse

Have you been watching the Ken Burns series on The Roosevelts on PBS. It is a most interesting series and I have learned much from watching it, both about Teddy Roosevelkt, Franklin Roosevelt and Eleanor Roosevelt ... to say nothing about other Roosevelt's that are shown and talked about in the program. For instance, I had totally forgotten that Teddy Roosevelt, Jr. led one of the D-Day invasion groups and went onto the beach with his men.

I do not believe we really know what FDR was thinking when he spoke those words. The Constitution is a wonderful document, but not perfect. If the original had been perfect no amendments would have ever been needed. My guess is that FDR realized that times change, situations change, nations change, new problems and opportunities rise and that occasionally the Constitution needs to be tweaked to make it more perfect ... at least let us hope it is more perfect. Just a thought.