1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What did Jesus mean when He said touch me not

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why did Jesus say when He arose from the grave on the third day:

17": Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    BroBob

Some have believed this means that Mary would somehow make Him unclean prior to His return to heaven if she touched Him. That is not what He is saying. The Greek word is "Haptomai" and has the idea of handling for the purpose of manipulating. It is stronger than the word "touch". A better translation is "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father".

Jesus is not saying "do not touch" because He tells the disciples to touch Him so they know He is not a "spirit". (Luke 24:39) The word there is "Pselaphao" which means to feel something on the surface, or to "touch".

Jesus is simply telling Mary (who was overcome with emotion when she found Him alive and was holding on for dear life) there was no reason to cling to Him (as if He might leave her again) because His return to heaven was not iminent. He still needed to meet with the disciples before that occurred.

peace to you:praise:

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Revelation, chapter 12

5": And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

"6": And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

Do you think this Scripture has anything to do with his saying "for I have not yet accended unto the father"

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. 12:5 appears to be referring to His ascension, but I really don't see a direct connection or significance to the "stop clinging to Me" passage.

What do you see there?

5. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Jesus was to assend to the father as our high priest, as in OT the priest was not to be defiled by touching anyone before going int the Holy of Holies.

So Jesus our High priest was about to take his blood to heaven to sprinkle it on the mercy seat in heaven then return to earth . that is when the others could hold him, and did.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not following you here BroBob, you saying though he was here he was also in heaven?

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

But what about Lk 24 where he told them to touch him?

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you could share the scripture verse that says Jesus went to heaven and sprinkled His blood on the mercy seat between the time Mary saw Him and when the disciples saw Him?

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    rex77

The verse doesn't say "do not touch Me" anyway, as I stated above. The indication is that Mary was already holding on to Jesus when He made the statement.

10. Rex77

Rex77 Member

LeBuick quote
    ------------------------------------------------
    But what about Lk 24 where he told them to touch him?

------------------------------------------------------
    Jesus was to assend to the father as our high priest, as in OT the priest was not to be defiled by touching anyone before going int the Holy of Holies.

So Jesus our High priest was about to take his blood to heaven to sprinkle it on the mercy seat in heaven then return to earth . that is when the others could hold him, and did.

canadyjd quote
    -------------------------------------------
    Perhaps you could share the scripture verse that says Jesus went to heaven and sprinkled His blood on the mercy seat between the time Mary saw Him and when the disciples saw Him?
    ---------------------------------------------

Just following the pattern the High priest did not wait days to sprinkle the mercy seat.so why would ours ?

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel

Heb 9:23 ¶ [It was] therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

Heb 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, [which are] the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:.

we dont have a timetable in the gosples we can only follow a pattern from OT.but we do know these things were done.

11. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Brother Bob quote
    -------------------------------------
    Do you think this Scripture has anything to do with his saying "for I have not yet accended unto the father"

I think it is refering to his assenssion where his disiples saw him go into heaven. But mainly to identify the woman in Rev.12 as Israel

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, His Spirit went back to the Father while He was dead three days and in the tomb. If it really meant don't touch me until He went back to the Father then it was necessary for Him to ascend to the Father in some manner before confronting His deciples. As far at the Woman being Israel I think Rex is right about the woman being Israel and it was out of Israel came Christ.

Mark, chapter 16
    "11": And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.

"12": After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.

"13": And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.

"14": Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

Here He was appearing in different forms. Was it needful for some reason that he first ascend to the Father?

Under the first tabernacle The High Priest had to go into the place called the Holiest of all to offer the blood even though the blood had already been shed.

Under the second tabernacle Jesus is our High Priest and the Holiest place of all is on the right hand of God. Did he have to enter the Holiest place of all on the right hand of God to offer His blood even though it had already been shed, that the first might be done away with and the second might be established?

#12 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is simply telling Mary (who was overcome with emotion when she found Him alive and was holding on for dear life) there was no reason to cling to Him (as if He might leave her again) because His return to heaven was not iminent. He still needed to meet with the disciples before that occurred[/quote]

I most wholeheartedly agree.

Why on earth would Jesus have met her in her private agony and confusion and revealed himself, physically and very tenderly....just calling out her name.....and THEN, when she obviously was quite overcome with a flood of emotion.....why would he have cruelly said, "DON'T TOUCH ME!!", as if she were somehow filthy and debased in his presence.

I used to believe that... because that's what I was taught as child. But then I did something very important....I read and studied the bible for myself! :applause:

14. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

What did Jesus mean when He said touch me not?

Brother Bob and our Friends,

Last year in VBS a 6th grader answered my question by saying that it was not that Jesus forbad Mary to touch Him, as being so important, but it was the urgency of getting the message, to Peter especially, that He wished to meet His "brothers" in Galilee. The angel had given this same message to Mary before she met Jesus. He repeats the message with the same need to meet them in Galilee.

Over and over Jesus had repeated He was returning to His Father. Now He repeats the same message and also repeats what the angel had told her so that she went again to tell Peter and John. This urgency caused Jesus to put the relay of that message to the Disciples ABOVE Mary's immediate desire to worship Him.

In fact, Matthew reveals that Jesus met the rest of the women immediately and they clung to His feet! The tension and anticipation of meeting Jesus in Galillee was the vehicle for impressing His followers with the supreme purpose of His mission to send them into the world after He returned to the Father. :wavey:

Mel at www.lastday.net

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have made quite an impossible stretch here with the verses in Hebrews to make the bible say that Jesus ascended into Heaven........came back to earth......and then ascended again.

I'm afraid that I can't make that stretch with you.

#15 Scarlett O., Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: I believe this is the correct interpretation of this verse. I, too, always thought Mary had cooties, or nobody was allowed to physically touch Him. This doesn't square with Luke 24:39.

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I am not misquoting him, Harold Camping says it meant touch him in a 'sexual' manner. Maybe he was the one who gave Dan Brown the idea that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were.....lovers?
    What do you think ?
    [​IMG]:smilewinkgrin:

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Piny;
    I think its crazy!!

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Mel;
    Scripture says "out of the mouth of babes" , but it just doen't seem to fit for me. There are several answers and why would He tell Mary not to touch Him until He met with the Apostles? I really always thought there was something about Him, being He just arose from the dead that it was not allowed for anyone to "touch" him. Some say she was clinging to him but that is just a supposition I think? I never did think it was because He thought Mary was unclean or something.

#19 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  20. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

What did Jesus mean when He said touch me not?

Brother Bob,

I don't think you dispensed with the "urgency" of getting a second message to Peter! Jesus knew Mary had told Peter that the tomb was empty and that the
    angel had told her to tell Peter to meet Him in Galilee.

I repeat:
    Over and over Jesus had repeated He was returning to His Father. Now He repeats the same message and also repeats what the angel had told her so that she went again to tell Peter and John. This urgency caused Jesus to put the relay of that message to the Disciples ABOVE Mary's immediate desire to worship Him!

You have failed to explain why Jesus immediately allowed the rest of the women to "cling to His feet and to worship Him" !!

The final message to the Disciples shows the urgency of convincing them that He had risen and that they must assume the task assigned them BECAUSE He was
    returning to the Father.

The urgency was NOT that He "returned to the Father" between the moment He spoke to Mary and the moment He met the rest of the women. The urgency was in the purpose of His message ... that He was about to leave them and that they
    would then "receive the Holy Spirit" for the ministry they should assume. :wavey:

Mel at www.lastday.net