1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What did Jesus mean when He said touch me not

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I wonder why Jesus waited from morning of the first day of the week until that evening before appearing to His deciples? He didn't even have to open a door but just appeared there before them. I just wonder why it took a whole day?

I grant you that one Scripture says the sisters were clinging to His feet so that dispells the notion I had of no one being able to touch Him for some reason because He had just arose from the dead.

#21 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  2. mima

mima New Member

Just shocking:

The question in of Itself is very shocking. If it is possible to keep focused on the question of what Jesus was talking about and why he said it perhaps some insight can be uncovered. I strongly suspect that Brother Bob knows the correct answer. Please do not be confused, this man brother Bob has great knowledge and vast experience in great skill at letting someone else discover what he already knows. I just love the BB blog so as to read what other people think and have opinions about.

3. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Might I suggest there is a parallel between what is going on here and a prophetic fulfilment of the feast of firstfruits?

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Mima;
    I wish I were that smart.:)

That is good Ulsterman, probably more closer than anyone! Everyone forgets there are many of the saints that asleep that get up too. They came out of the grave after the Lord's resurrection and I suspect the Lord was present don't you?

#24 Brother Bob, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  5. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Jesus also had another task after he rose when did this take place ???

Did they (OT saints)wait around for 40 days to go to heaven or did Jesus take them when he rose.???

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13+) "that very day" and seemed to spend the entire day with two of them, discussing scripture and revealing all that the O.T. spoke of Him (wow, I wish I could have sat in on that Sunday School lesson!!)

peace to you:praise:

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The task is "building up the Body of Christ" (v.12) by giving His church leaders (gifts) (v.11) so that the saints may be equipped for service (v.12). The task is ongoing in that Christ continues to be actively involved in bringing about the redemption of men and the filling of His Church.

Scripture is silent, as far as I can tell, about how long the saints that were resurrected when Christ died remained on the earth; only that they were seen.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

KJMatt.27
    52": And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

"53": And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

This was after He arose from the dead and before he went to see his deciples. Don't you think being He is the Resurrection that He had to take some part in this?

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only some part, He did it all.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Amen Brother. :)

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So are you suggesting he spent the day raising the dead? What about the Sunday school class Candy mentioned?

Also, can you explain the prophetic fulfilment of the feast of firstfruits?

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Is the symbolism he was the first with many to rise after him? It is symbolic of the coming harvest?

I also notice the first fruit is always to support the priesthood???

13. Rex77

Rex77 Member

canadyjd quote
    ------------------------------------
    Scripture is silent, as far as I can tell, about how long the saints that were resurrected when Christ died remained on the earth; only that they were seen.
    ------------------------------------

I agree about the ones that were seen they were many not all.

But all the OT saints that were in Abrahams bossom he took to heaven.
    I believe that is what that verse is talking about. they were not ressurected they were transported, from the lower parts of the earth,to heaven where paradise is now.

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

14. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Christ died at Passover, was buried during Unleavened Bread and rose at Firstfruits. The harvest could not be enjoyed until its firsfruits, which were incidentally earmarked by red yarn, was waved before God. Thus Christ, having risen, could not allow Mary or any of the other disciples to fully enjoy the delights of His resurrection until He, as the firsfruits of resurrection, was "waved" before (ascended to) His Father. The firsfruits offering brought an implication of more to follow. Therefore Paul writes "But now is Christ risen from the dead and become the first fruits of them that slept . . . For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming." (1 Cor 15:20-23)

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

KJMatt.27
    52": And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

"53": And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

It says they arose from the grave and He was the firstfruits of them that slept that arose so it was not smybolic it was real. The next resurrection is when we come out of the grave so it had to be then. No where do I read where He had Sunday School? He did have a job to do He had a resurrection that needed to be presented to the Father.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brobob, Ulsterman

You have given me a lot to consider. I appreciate the implications of the first fruits. However...

Jesus is a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek. He does not serve according to the order of Levi. All of the ceremonial things you mentioned are according to the order of Levi. We know almost nothing about the ceremonies of Melchizedek.

Bob, Luke 24:13-35 gives the account of Jesus appearing to two of the disciples (not of the 12), walking with them for a distance of 7 or 8 miles, explaining scripture to them, sitting down with them for an evening meal and then vanishing before their eyes. Certainly this must have occupied quite a bit of time on that first day, don't you think?

17. Rex77

Rex77 Member

How long do you think the Lord would take to get to heaven and back.???

The twinkling of an eye !!!

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean we need to change our understanding of the "day of the Lord" to be a "third coming" instead of a "second coming"?

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good Question! Have to think on that one for a while.

Don't believe you could consider this a coming to the people as He did when He first came and as He will do in the end. If He did ascend to the Father for a moment it was to deliver the saints that arose to the Father.

#40 Brother Bob, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006